Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Won't someone think of the fake internet churches!

Quote:
A federal appeals court on Monday ordered the State of Indiana to allow secular humanists to officiate at weddings despite a state law barring them from performing nuptials.

Quote:
It is irrational to allow humanists to solemnize marriages if, and only if, they falsely declare that they are a “religion.” It is absurd to give the Church of Satan, whose high priestess avows that her powers derive from having sex with Satan, and the Universal Life Church, which sells credentials to anyone with a credit card, a preferred position over Buddhists, who emphasize love and peace.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2014/0714/Indiana-marri...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/07/15/indiana_cour...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Personally, I think this is a good thing. Its just bizarre that for an atheist couple to have a 'wedding', as opposed to a civil union, they can't have a close friend officiate over it. The idea that in order to do this, you have to join a 'fake' church- or, at least, a church with VERY lax rules on who is ordained- is just ludicrous.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why, in order to perform a marriage ceremony, they might require some kind of "official" status. In the UK they are called registrars. I would, find it odd that only religious ministers can perform weddings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Darilian wrote:
Personally, I think this is a good thing. Its just bizarre that for an atheist couple to have a 'wedding', as opposed to a civil union, they can't have a close friend officiate over it. The idea that in order to do this, you have to join a 'fake' church- or, at least, a church with VERY lax rules on who is ordained- is just ludicrous.

Darilian

Agreed. But that said, you don't have to join a fake church.

F wanted a justice of the peace wedding, but me, being a fucking ex-Catholic, wanted something more, even though I was 31--pretty old for a big wedding. So we decided to get married by a Unitarian minister. It didn't involve us joining a "fake church", just having a single meeting with the minister. She married us without a single reference to God, but with a nice chemistry joke thrown (okay, it was awful, but still). It was a lovely small service, but in a nice chapel with a wonderful garden for the pictures afterwards. With a whole 8 people at our wedding which was perfect.

If there had a been an option like this, we may well have used it. But I think the Unitarians are wonderful to this day for that service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Over here you go to city hall (US justice of the peace) for your marriage. after that you can have any ornamental ceremony that you want (church wedding or whatever else you like) but it has no relevance for your civil marriage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

F wanted a justice of the peace wedding, but me, being a fucking ex-Catholic, wanted something more, even though I was 31--pretty old for a big wedding. So we decided to get married by a Unitarian minister. It didn't involve us joining a "fake church", just having a single meeting with the minister. She married us without a single reference to God, but with a nice chemistry joke thrown (okay, it was awful, but still). It was a lovely small service, but in a nice chapel with a wonderful garden for the pictures afterwards. With a whole 8 people at our wedding which was perfect.

If there had a been an option like this, we may well have used it. But I think the Unitarians are wonderful to this day for that service.

Of course in PA we don't need an officiant at all. Thanks Quakers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
...but with a nice chemistry joke thrown (okay, it was awful, but still).

Well....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Darilian wrote:

Over the past 20 years, one branch of Atheism has evolved into a de-facto religion complete with its own congregational (i.e. church) services and hymns, to boot.

Some of that branch's hymns are little more than subversive parodies of religious hymns (even sung to the same tune) but others are undisguised attacks on religion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our chupa in London but registered the marriage in Boston where we went to visit friends afterwards. We showed our wedding photos to the registrar who was a thoroughly delightful lady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
GameCrossing wrote:
she2 wrote:
...but with a nice chemistry joke thrown (okay, it was awful, but still).

Well....?

It was more of a gentle "I see now why you have chemistry" (groan) joke. It wasn't really much of a joke other than acknowledgement that we were both chemists.

Also, chemists have an awful sense of humor. I had someone geekmail me not understanding this joke about the "ether bunny" nearly a year after I posted the thread:

Yes, we are dorks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
lfisher wrote:
she2 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Really? I had no idea.

Quakers are also partly responsible for our horrible road system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
she2 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Really? I had no idea.

I guess you need a special "self-uniting" marriage license, but I think my friends did that a few weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

I take it that you and your spouse had good chemistry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
I was 31--pretty old for a big wedding.

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
she2 wrote:

And around here, they're responsible for tsunamis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Well, we all know that a Satanist performing a marriage is the equivalent of child rape, so they'd better be careful.
Well I suppose it is a Catholic invention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
kuhrusty wrote:
she2 wrote:

And around here, they're responsible for tsunamis.

Just a joke about their opposition to spending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

One of our close friends got ordained as a humanist minister to perform our ceremony. It was a nice way to do it, and made it much more personal for us. Since then he and I have gone back and forth on the idea of starting a company and officiating weddings as a side gig, but nothing has come of it so far. I still think the market is there--looking for an officiant to do an atheist service was surprisingly difficult. There are lots of religious folks who would be "willing" do do a non-denominational/non-religious service, but most of them turned out to be people we didn't want to give any money to. (Like the guy who had a bold-type statement on his site saying same-sex civil unions would not be considered. Good for him and his backwards ways, whatever, but I sure as shit wasn't giving him $600 to perform our wedding ceremony.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
she2 wrote:

cry

Its funny, 31 doesn't seem old at all to me for a big wedding. Just about everyone is getting married later these days. I've been to plenty of big and small ones for couples at that age, just depends on what they wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
myopia wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
she2 wrote:

cry

Its funny, 31 doesn't seem old at all to me for a big wedding. Just about everyone is getting married later these days. I've been to plenty of big and small ones for couples at that age, just depends on what they wanted.

It probably wasn't my age per se. I just thought it would be moronic to spend a ton of money on a gigantic wedding when we were trying to save to buy a house. And I wasn't exactly going to make my dad pay for it when he was retired due to health problems (I've never understood why people expect their parents to dish big money for a wedding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
myopia wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
she2 wrote:

cry

It probably wasn't my age per se. I just thought it would be moronic to spend a ton of money on a gigantic wedding when we were trying to save to buy a house. And I wasn't exactly going to make my dad pay for it when he was retired due to health problems (I've never understood why people expect their parents to dish big money for a wedding).

Big weddings are rarely for the bride. More often, they are for the bride's mother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
GameCrossing wrote:
she2 wrote:
myopia wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
she2 wrote:

cry

Big weddings are rarely for the bride. More often, they are for the bride's mother.

Yeah, I suppose if my mom had been alive then we would have had something nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate weddings. The free alcohol and food at the reception is nice, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

You must really hate dry weddings, because most wedding food is little better than airplane food. That doesn't leave much to go for unless you like to dance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

You must really hate dry weddings, because most wedding food is little better than airplane food. That doesn't leave much to go for unless you like to dance.

"Oi whats this swiveled up pigs willie?"
"Errr why has this sandwich got the dogs dinner in it?"
"cor blimy I seem to be eating yesterdays left overs"
"Errrgghh, these look like testicles"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.