Popular Tags: [View All]
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I have a problem similar to the OP there: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1130918/older-cardsdecks-etc

I dug up my collection (it isn't really a collection unfortunately) of old Magic cards which I haven't been doing anything with for the last 15 years or so apart from occasionally admiring them. I'm not sure what I should do with them. I don't really want to get rid of them, I don't really want to start playing again, so I ask you what you would do with them in my situation.

A little more information about the "collection":
- about 1200 distinct cards and an additional 700 duplicates plus 400 basic lands
- about 60% of the cards are from 1995/1996, the rest 1994 and 1997-2002
- about 60% of the cards are in German, the rest are English cards

Here are two photos which might help:

All cards

Sample

I don't think there's anything of value in there. I thought about buying the Challenge Decks and trying to beat them with my old cards. Would that even be possible? Or would you sell them? Give/throw them away? Build something with it? Some kind of geeky art? Hell, I don't know.

What would you advise me to do?
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't started it yet, but I have a similar problem. I am thinking about taking my old and worthless cards, arranging them on a table and doing a clear epoxy coat over the top to make a cool looking gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
If I had those and didn't want to play with them, I'd figure out if any card is worth more than $10, and sell those as singles. The rest can be sold as bulk for next to nothing, given away, or make something out of them.

But using them to play against the challenge decks is a good idea as well. They should work fine for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1havok12 wrote:
I haven't started it yet, but I have a similar problem. I am thinking about taking my old and worthless cards, arranging them on a table and doing a clear epoxy coat over the top to make a cool looking gaming table.

That's a pretty good idea! Be sure to post some photos once you finished the table.

JockiB wrote:
If I had those and didn't want to play with them, I'd figure out if any card is worth more than $10, and sell those as singles. The rest can be sold as bulk for next to nothing, given away, or make something out of them.

But using them to play against the challenge decks is a good idea as well. They should work fine for that.

Well, I imagine figuring out if there's anything of value would be a huge undertaking. I'd have no idea where to start. Would I have to search for every single card in a database?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to buy at least one challenge deck to try if playing against them is any fun. I can still throw them away or build the table after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any Dual Lands? those are worth big money, even in German I would wager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
ahwala wrote:

Well, I imagine figuring out if there's anything of value would be a huge undertaking. I'd have no idea where to start. Would I have to search for every single card in a database?

Probably not the commons but a lot of those cards are old enough to not have a clear marker of rarity. A good place to start is Magiccardmarket.de too see what the second hand market gives for them in Europe.

But generally what you really want to find is Dual lands and/or Force of Will. (Because I assume P9 cards where known about at the time that collection was built)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had this problem I created an account at deckbox and added every card I owned. It took a few days, but in the end I was confident that my collection was all but worthless. The card it identified as being my most valuable was one that I would never have noticed, in fact I still can't understand what it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
When I had this problem I created an account at deckbox and added every card I owned. It took a few days, but in the end I was confident that my collection was all but worthless. The card it identified as being my most valuable was one that I would never have noticed, in fact I still can't understand what it does.

Name it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I could follow the rules, but why? I read about Dredge and believe all that stuff's true but don't really get it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dredge decks are wierd, they throw everything about Magic out the window. You need to see it in action to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a deck tech on Dredge...

Here is a goldfishing of it so you can see what it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
Where I’m supposed to be
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Dredge decks are wierd, they throw everything about Magic out the window. You need to see it in action to understand.

One reason I main board Rest in Peace.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, turns out my most valuable card is Reflecting Pool from Tempest. Then there are about 50 cards above 1$ and the rest is basically worthless.

So I guess I'll buy the Challenge Decks and keep that table idea in mind.
Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Earabino

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to make an EDH deck. I play with alot of older cards. You should see the look on players faces when they see a card they never saw before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vroomer wrote:
One reason I main board Rest in Peace

Oh, and all of a sudden I understand why Dryad Militant says that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You'll get the most value for your cards if you own a retail store, and can afford to carry them and wait for the kind of people who buy games at retail. This will get you (for example) prices around TCGPlayer high for what sells.

More realistically, as a player you'll get the most value for your magic cards if you create a trade binder of your valuable stuff, go to magic events, and slowly sell or trade them to others for their valuable stuff, which you also sell locally to players. This will get you prices around TCGPlayer mid for what sells.

This does not appeal to most people trying to get rid of their collection.

You'll get the least value if you sell it on eBay without showing the valuable cards, because everyone will assume it's all crap. Plus you have to cover the eBay fees (including the 10% for shipping). This will get you a penny a card minus fees.

This does not appeal to people who don't know which cards are valuable, and don't want to take the time to look.

In between there is
- selling online yourself (Getting TCGPlayer low - 10% for what sells, nothing for the rest)
- internet retailers with buy lists (TCGplayer low - 50% for the valuable stuff, nothing for the rest)
- local stores (TCGplayer low - 50% with no shipping fees, plus $0.003 for the junk)
- local players willing to buy whole collections.

Of those, I think you'll get the most money from an honest local player willing to buy everything you have - let's say TCGPlayer low - 30% for valuable stuff, plus half a penny a card for the rest. You might look around on BGG for other players in your area.

All prices approximate guesses based on experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.