Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the leader draws the plot cards, does he/she get to look at them? If so, are they public knowledge or do they just give it to a person, and they keep it hidden (1) until they want to play it?

I have only read the rules for the expansion havent played it yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
van00uber wrote:
They give the card away without looking
Not at all. The rules have no such limitation, and the game is more interesting for being able to analyze the leader's motives for distributing particular cards.

The leader looks at the cards he draws, and then distributes them in any desired combination to any players other than himself. All plot cards are public information. As noted, some are played immediately, some have ongoing effects, and some are held for later use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The leader draws a card, looks at it then decides who to give it to. It remains face up and open info for all at the table to see through out the game until resolved when it is then discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid playing with plot cards because of exactly these issues: the rules are not amazingly clear.

What you do I think is:

a) draw x plot cards (where x is the correct number for # of players)
b) the leader looks at them all and then hands them out to those he wishes
c) they resolve in clockwise order from the leader, if they need to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Having said that, I'm sure there's tons of mistakes happening with plot cards all the time. Like, drawing one at a time, looking at it, giving it out, resolving it, drawing another, etc. Or drawing one, NOT looking at it, giving it out. Etc. Fraught with errors. I strongly encourage all players to use The Lady of the Lake mechanism from Avalon instead of Plot Cards. You basically get everything plot cards give you with Lady, without any timing issues or rules misinterpretations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Having said that, I'm sure there's tons of mistakes happening with plot cards all the time. Like, drawing one at a time, looking at it, giving it out, resolving it, drawing another, etc. Or drawing one, NOT looking at it, giving it out. Etc. Fraught with errors. I strongly encourage all players to use The Lady of the Lake mechanism from Avalon instead of Plot Cards. You basically get everything plot cards give you with Lady, without any timing issues or rules misinterpretations.

As far as I understand it, you draw one plot card whenever a new mission begins. And to be clear, that's not when there is a new leader, but once a whole mission has been passed or failed, and a new one begins.

The x number of players refers purely to whether or not that card should be included in the deck, as some of the higer # cards are perhaps too powerful for 5 or 6 player games.

And yes, we play it as:

.Mission begins. The leader draws a plot card, and looks at it.

.If it's a card which should be played immediately, then he does so [I believe the only one is the "take another player's plot card", but I can't check right now]. Otherwise, he gives it to another player. The card given is publicly known.

.If it is a card which forces that player to do things, such as Opinion Maker, he now puts it into play. Otherwise, he can keep it and use it whenever he wishes, within the rules of that card. We keep the card face up so everyone can make informed decisions based on what powers people have.

If we've got that wrong then we'd be glad to hear, so we can do it right next time. But so far, that works fine for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it is one in a 5-6 player game, but more at 7-10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
No, it is one in a 5-6 player game, but more at 7-10.

Thank you good sir!
After searchin high and low for PDFs [sadly I do not own the game ] it does say 1 for 5-6, 2 for 7-8, and 3 for 9-10.
I'll have to feed this back to my group. We don't normally get to play above 6 players, but we've only done 1 card each time we had that many players.

So thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Silie
Germany
flag msg tools
TomTi89 wrote:
[q="clydeiii"]
.Mission begins. The leader draws a plot card, and looks at it.

.If it's a card which should be played immediately, then he does so [I believe the only one is the "take another player's plot card", but I can't check right now]. Otherwise, he gives it to another player. The card given is publicly known.

The leader doesn't play a card at all. He just distributes them to the other players (not himself). Says so in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nowack-Thompson
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo... are Plot Cards drawn when there is a new Leader or when the Mission Team has been accepted?

I have not played with the Plot Card yet as I want clarification on the draw order... it seems crazy that you would draw and distribute Plot Cards and then the Mission Team is rejected and then you have a new Leader and new Plot Card(s) drawn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only for the first leader. I'd the mission gets rejected you don't draw plot cards for the new leader. So you draw plot cards 5 times in the game (unless someone wins before the 5th mission).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thels de Kwant
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Mind if I bump this thread with some more questions?

Things are pretty clear for 5-6 players, because only one card is drawn. Leader looks at the card, and then gives it to a player of his/her choice.

But for 7+ games, the leader receives more than 1 card, which makes it a little more complex. Let's assume it's a 7-8 player game, so the leader draws and hands out 2 plot cards. Let's also assume the leader draws Overheard Conversation and Opinion Maker.

Which of the following scenarios is true?

- The leader hands out Overheard Conversation to another player, but keeps Opinion Maker concealed. The target player plays Overheard Conversation on one of his/her neighbors. After that, the leader plays Opinion Maker on a player of his/her choice.

- The leader reveals both plot cards to the group, and hands out Overheard Conversation to another player. The target player plays Overheard Conversation on one of his/her neighbors. After that, the leader plays Opinion Maker on a player of his/her choice.

- The leader hands out Overheard Conversation to another player, and Opinion Maker to yet another player. Then, the player that received Overheard Conversation plays it on one of his/hery neighbors.

Basically, the question is, can the Leader wait for the results of the "Play immediately" cards before handing out the remaining plot cards? And if so, can he keep the remaining plot cards concealed?

And a separate question, can the Leader hand more than one plot card to the same player during a single mission? IE, if I'm the leader in a 7-8 player game, I draw 2 plot cards. Can I give both those plot cards to Joe, or do I need to assign them to different players?

Greetings, Thels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think:

1. The leader draws 2 plot cards.
2. The leader reveals what those plot cards are
3. The leader gives those plot cards to whoever they like, they may give both to one player, they may give a player a plot card they already have.
4. Any plot cards with immediate effect are resolved in the order they are distributed (confirmed by the designer see below).
5. The leader may wait until after the first plot card has been resolved before handing out the second plot card (source)

Here is the quote supporting point 4 (source):

T Worthington wrote:

clydeiii wrote:
A leader draws Take Responsibilty and Overheard Conversation. What happens next, according to the rule book?

Resolve the cards in order they are distributed. I think that this is the intention and literal interpretation of the rule book, in that both cards are instants and their effects apply instanteously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I think the answers are:
Thels wrote:

Basically, the question is, can the Leader wait for the results of the "Play immediately" cards before handing out the remaining plot cards?

Yes, they may

Thels wrote:

And if so, can he keep the remaining plot cards concealed?

No, both plot cards should be revealed as soon as the leader draws them.

Thels wrote:

And a separate question, can the Leader hand more than one plot card to the same player during a single mission?

As far as I know there is nothing in the rules to prevent this. I don't see any reason why you couldn't give one player two copies of "Opinion Maker" if you wanted only one person to have have to vote first & publicly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thels de Kwant
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
T Worthington wrote:
This is the intended direction - leader draws cards - all are revealed as soon as they are drawn. The leader chooses order to pass, resolving that card (if applicable) before distributing and resolving next card.

That indeed sums up my first question. I guess there's nothing saying that you can't give more than 1 plot card away per player, so that would answer the second question.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.