Subject: Does a player have to take an action in their chosen sector? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Georgina Dear
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Three players choose Sector 1. The first two players put their pawns on the Compound and Cartel spaces, which leaves only the Mission space available for the third player.

As per my understanding of the rules, the third player is obligated to go to the Mission space if they have the resources available to complete a mission in the sector. But do they actually have to complete it?

In our case, completing the mission would've won the game for another player (+1r in Cartel to anyone with Cartel already), so our third player would've preferred not to do so. We ended up working around the problem but I'd like to know what the correct action would've been.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook doesn't state anything about this...

It only says you cannot occupy an Mission Slot just to block the space if you don't have the resources to complete the mission...

This must be an extreme and very rare case... so we have to wait for the official word of Travis to see if the player is required to go to the Mission spot and complete it or if the can choose just to do nothing with that agent... I think that it is the later but will wait for Travis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to the Mission location and not doing the Mission if you have the resources is the same as blocking. I'll let Travis weigh in but I'm pretty sure it would amount to the same thing...going but not doing the action.

If this was allowed without having to do the Mission it would amount to the same as blocking in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's saying he wants to go to the spot and block it... specially since I think what happened is that the other 2 players have already placed their agents in the section and did not occupy the Mission space, so he wouldn't be blocking anyone because the other two have already played...

Still I think he was asking if he could just choose to do nothing with that agent and skip his turn as if all spaces were already occupied or if he has to go to the mission spot because he can complete the mission

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I realize he isn't blocking but the effect would be the same...go to a spot and not do it. Just because it is after everyone else means it isn't blocking but it is the same effect, he went to a spot and didn't do the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And can't he choose to not go to the spot?

Maybe he selected the sector to do something else that now is blocked, why should he be force to complete a mission that he doesn't want to complete?

Maybe he was going there to get a resource to complete other mission in the following turn that would be much more profitable but now he's blocked from that resource spot... I don't think he should be forced to select another spot to go to... he could just opt to not do anything with that agent...

isn't this an option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! Sweet edge case, Batmobile!

The answer here is: no, you can't force another player to place and complete a mission. Missions are at the behest of the player placing, not mandatory. Sorry if this was not clear. In 150ish games of testing this never popped up once, so kudos. Very cool situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
Whoa! Sweet edge case, Batmobile!

The answer here is: no, you can't force another player to place and complete a mission. Missions are at the behest of the player placing, not mandatory. Sorry if this was not clear. In 150ish games of testing this never popped up once, so kudos. Very cool situation.

Thanks for the clarification Travis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.