Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Part of what makes the asteroid chase of the falcon so interesting is that the rocks aren't just sitting still. Has anyone toyed with the idea of giving them random movement? Say roll an attack die next to it. On a hit or crit it moves a straight 1 whichever direction the die points? Could really spice up a battle among them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. No one's ever though of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I've thought about doing 'Asteroid' asteroids.

They all have a predetermined speed and and direction. When placed the direction is important. They move at PS 0. When they fly off the board they reappear just like Asteroids on the opposite side of the map.

I've been really into the tournament building so I haven't actually done it yet but I want to one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Richardson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Nope. No one's ever though of that.

to you Michael I say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hssPVz33aDE

and yes JD, there are a lot of good ways of moving astroids around, but my favorite is similar to J's. Each person takes turn placing astroids, but the opponent then places an ID token 1-5 on top of the astroid. the number they place is the speed at which it travels, the round top is pointing the direction it travels. This makes it to where each person evenly has 3 astroids that they placed on the board and 3 astroids that they choose the position for. It makes the opening and the game a LOT more complex, but if you are looking for some spice this can mix things up. I also will say that I tend to like this with lower point builds (75 seems perfect for me), its less to keep in mind and a lot less maintenance between rounds.

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I was thinking it would be pretty cool if they made new asteroids that have the little grooves for the maneuver templates like on the ship bases along with an arrow to indicate the direction. Then you could use the number chits like suggested to determine the speed, which should be constant. Asteroids can pass through and overlap each other with out issue (they are narrowly missing thematically) but its now possible for a ship to overlap two or more obstacles simultaneously (ouch). Also asteroids can now strike ships by overlapping them or hitting them with the movement template. Maybe when they reach the edge of the table they just do a K-turn to remove any debate over "aiming" the asteroids when replaced on the other side. Also maybe have a speed limit of 0-4 for each asteroid with a total limit of 7 so players can't place three top speed asteroids on the table.

I was also thinking it would be cool if the new debris field tokens had the template groove so that when a ship was destroyed you used the 1 straight and placed the token in front of the destroyed ship. It would have no effect for when it was placed but ships would have to dodge it during the next activation phase, then remove the token after 1 turn. Maybe if the ship dies with a critical hit it does effect other ships as its played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.