Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just for solo play, but I've pictured a few 2-player scenarios that could use the benefit of some AI ships on the board over abstract objective tokens. Has anyone designed some? Ones that can work for any kind of ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Has anyone worked up AI list for ships?
Yeah, the BCT's hidden movement ain't so smart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gabel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Has anyone worked up AI list for ships?
There are some decent AI rules for X-Wing ships, and it would be very easy to adapt them to Attack Wing, although it has to be done on a ship-by-ship basis.

http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/xwingrules.html

Essentially, when it comes that ship's turn to move, you determine the direction of the nearest enemy ship, based on one of six arcs (front 60, front/right 60, rear/right 60, rear 60, rear/left 60, front/left 60). Each of those arcs has 6 possible maneuvers from that ship's dial associated with it (usually to turn towards the nearest enemy ship, to get them into arc), and you simply roll a die to determine which.

As in a normal game, you have to plan your maneuvers before you know what the opponent is doing, and you should control the AI based on your ships' initial positions, not wherever they are by the time it takes its turn.

I've played 3 games of X-Wing (and several games of WWI Wings of Glory) using his solo rules, and while they're no substitute for a real opponent, they work amazingly well, IMO.

The main shortcomings are that they don't account for the distance or heading of the other plane/ship, so you might at times find yourself wanting to adjust their maneuvers and actions in the event that they make tactically questionable choices.

With Attack Wing, it would work best with ships that have relatively few upgrades on them, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing something along these lines, but to make up for the lack of experience of a real player the AI ships will adjust for current player positions when it is their turn to move. It simplifies things and makes them a bit more formidable.

For directions I simply use hidden tokes like what the BCT/Scimitar use.
If an enemy ship is 180 degrees from the AI ship's edge that will mean:
Token 1 - forward edge: straight or red full astern(only if enemy ship already in range 1-3)
Token 2/3 - side edges: sharp turn or spin(Borg)
Token 4 - rear edge: u-turn or White full astern(Borg).

If 1 or more enemy ships are along both the forward 180 edge AND along the side 180 edge, Banks are used:
Token 5 - Ship in forward edge and left edge - left banks
Token 6 - Ship in forward edge and right edge - right banks

After determining the Movement direction:
Closest enemy ship is in range 1-2: use 1 distance (next lowest if not possible)
Closest enemy ship is in range 3: roll for 1 or 2 or 3 distance
Closest enemy ship is out of range: roll for 3 or more distance

Finally, if a ship has an AUX token before moving roll an attack dice before all other steps. On a hit/crit it will only consider green maneuvers; otherwise it will consider all green and white maneuvers (Never a Red - rolls landing on Reds must be re-rolled).

Its best to make your owns rules for actions and attacks for each AI ship load-out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Celt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laptoptimus_Prime wrote:
There are some decent AI rules for X-Wing ships, and it would be very easy to adapt them to Attack Wing, although it has to be done on a ship-by-ship basis.

http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/xwingrules.html

Essentially, when it comes that ship's turn to move, you determine the direction of the nearest enemy ship, based on one of six arcs (front 60, front/right 60, rear/right 60, rear 60, rear/left 60, front/left 60). Each of those arcs has 6 possible maneuvers from that ship's dial associated with it (usually to turn towards the nearest enemy ship, to get them into arc), and you simply roll a die to determine which.

As in a normal game, you have to plan your maneuvers before you know what the opponent is doing, and you should control the AI based on your ships' initial positions, not wherever they are by the time it takes its turn.

I've played 3 games of X-Wing (and several games of WWI Wings of Glory) using his solo rules, and while they're no substitute for a real opponent, they work amazingly well, IMO.

The main shortcomings are that they don't account for the distance or heading of the other plane/ship, so you might at times find yourself wanting to adjust their maneuvers and actions in the event that they make tactically questionable choices.

With Attack Wing, it would work best with ships that have relatively few upgrades on them, I think.

I didn’t even realize that he had the x-wing rules. I’ve used both the WWI and WWII wings of glory rules. I’m going to have to try out the x-wing ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.