Subject: Why So Many Card Games Now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like over 70% of all new games that come out or are referenced on BGG now are all card games (CCG, drafting, set collection, etc...). Whatever happened to the days when card games were the exception and not the norm?

I know they are much cheaper to make and more than likely have a higher profit margin, but seriously I am tire of seeing them over and over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheaper to make and, more importantly, cheaper to ship than a game with a bulky board.

I imagine it is also simpler to get a 'cards only' game printed.

It is just a phase. Customer fatigue will set in and the next fad will emerge. Just cuddle your cardboard until that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked through the latest GTM, Meeple Monthly, Acd New Releases and one of the many other catalogs?

http://www.gametrademagazine.com/downloads/GTM174Games.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/MeepleMonthly

http://www.acdd.com/newrelease.aspx

Looks like a good variety of games to me, card, board, dice, minis, RPGs and everything in between that come out every single month

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
I count 16 card games out of the 50 listed on The Hotness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the use of bones and dried chips of feces as game components to swing around to popularity again, but until then cards will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is more dynamic than just "it is cheaper."

The Board Game industry is exploading right now and like video games it is the casual base that is growing (the hard core base has already been there). Those people want fast, light, quick board game experiences. Not all of them of course, but it is changing the weighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
Why can't it be chalked up to just plain, old-fashioned popularity/trends?

Also, a bonus advantage is that it's easier to pump out endless expansions if they're card-based. But I hardly think that's a main driver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
defordusa wrote:
Whatever happened to the days when card games were the exception and not the norm?

We have a lot of new and varied game mechanisms that use cards, that's why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just as easily complain about dice. Cards allow for random and varied actions/abilities/gains/ outcomes and are an easier and more approachable mechanic than rolling a D20 and looking up the result.
Cards are cheap to manufacture, easy to store, large enough to be clearly legible, can contain sufficient information to not need to consult the manual, easily held and hidden, easily randomised and familiar to new and experienced players a like.

Like dice or meeples, cards are a tool of the trade. A standard which can be utilised in many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.