Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Delligatti
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me say that I like this game! I have the PnP version (and I've pledged $ to support it on Kickstarter), and I thought that this might be a slight improvement over the current 5th Player Expansion.

My recommended change is not to the mechanics or anything, but to the rail car (color) distribution on the cards in the 5th Player Expansion.

I noticed that the number of purple rail cars is not the same as it is for the other colors (12 instead of 13). Also, the balance of purple cars on the left and right sides of the cards is different than for the other colors. So, I thought I'd submit a suggestion for changing the distribution of purple cards with the least amount of impact to the current design. [Of course, if the designer intended to have asymmetric purple rail cars, then this recommendation is for naught!] Here goes:

(Note: I'm using the nomenclature David Short used for his cards in a previous post.)

(1) Place 2 dots (to denote "2-player only" use) on the bottom black area of these 3 cards: 3g/3r, 3y/3b, 4y/4r

(2) Swap the colors (right/left) on these 2 cards: change 3p/3g to 3g/3p and change 3p/3y to 3y/3p

(3) Change the 4p/4p card to a 4p/4r card and add a new 4y/4p card

(4) Rule/Set-Up change:
- For a 2-player game (24-card deck): Remove all purple cards. [same as before]
- For a 3/4/5-player game (30-card deck): Remove the 3 cards with the 2 dots on the bottom black area and add all of the purple cards.

That's it! The net result is one added card to the deck for a total of 33 cards versus 32 cards. It's not a big change, but it evens out the distribution of rail cars on the cards for both the 2-player and 3/4/5-player variants.

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
Re: Recommended change to a few cards
This may clear some of it up for ya....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/31796/balancing-yardma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Delligatti
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through all the articles in the Forum searching for something just like this, but I overlooked the Blogs. Duh. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Delligatti
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has commented on my recommendation (aside from pointing me to the blog). I've read the blog entry, and it appears the designer was initially looking for this type of solution when he added the 5th Player Expansion.

I've added a graphic representation of what I described in my original post to help visualize the change to the cards:

(1) For the 2-player game, nothing changes: play with all cards in top 3 rows (remove the purple cards from the deck). (24-card deck)

(2) For the 3/4/5-player game, remove the 3 cards with the black bars and 2 dots from the deck and add all the purple cards into the deck. (30-card deck)

Either configuration gives an equal balance to all of the colors (car count) and an equal distribution to cars on left/right side of the cards. I think this is the "balance" that the designer was originally aiming for when he added the 5th Player Expansion.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest, Jim. This is a good variant. I applaud the effort.

On the way to my current solution, I had come up with some similar approaches, and I have been messaged ideas of similar structures since my blog posted. However, the thing that they all have in common is a mixture of the following:

a) Messed with the original 24 card deck
b) Added more cards
c) Complicated setup/rules

Your solution is one of the best I've seen, but it still doesn't solve the problem that I outlined in my blog completely. Your solution may solve the balance problem, but that's not the only problem. I wasn't just searching for complete balance. Game design is often about finding what's best for the game, which may not be perfect balance. It's making the tough decisions that aren't always logical (ask me about Ground Floor's Construction Admin Floor). I needed the game to keep it's wide accessibility, which meant keeping setup dead simple. Complicating the setup with a game this light - a game I want complete non-gamers to break open and run with - is an issue. Though it's elementary for gamers like us to customize starting decks, it is a hindrance to the accessibility levels I am targeting.

Again, thanks for your efforts and your interest. Hope you enjoy the game!

p.s. Could you please move this thread to the "Variant" forum? Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Delligatti
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to review my recommendation (which is now under "Variant" ) and providing more insight into your design process. I understand your logic, especially concerning non-gamers and simple set-up rules. I just wanted to get my thoughts out there for your consideration, so thanks for humoring me.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product in October!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.