Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone posted an historical allocation of the beach+phase assignments and opposing beach defenses? I am curious to see how it compares to what I am trying to finalise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only looked at Omaha beach for that and created the scenario you can download here. I used references from folks on ConSimWorld as they have had some analysis presented there on that topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
example http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd25a9e/8230

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, Dan does suggest random placement: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9951533#9951533
Quote: "1 - The German can set them as he wishes, though a few placements have restrictions (per the scenario setup). When time is a factor, or for playing solo, I suggest random. Additionally, if planning on playing a short game - for example, through just the first week - then I would place them randomly."

Looking at historical accounts, the bombardment in the CW sectors were more effective and were for longer periods of time. Even Utah Beach had effective bombardment from planes and ships. Omaha wasn’t so lucky. A random placement would allow for the circumstances to be reflected in the possibility that the bombardment of the CW and U.S. beaches might not have been effective or possibly very effective. It brings about a randomness.

Examples from the website http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_D-Day.html:

Omaha Beach. Quote: The aerial bombardment did very little damage as poor visibility made it difficult for the bomber crews to hit their targets. The naval bombardment was too short, lasting from 5.45am until 6.25am and also did little damage. The 9,000 rockets launched by the Landing Craft, Tank (Rocket)s fell short.

Gold Beach. Quote: Gold Beach was the target of the 231st and 69th Brigade Groups of the 50th (Northumberland) Division. The landings began at 7.25am, one hour after the American landings, which meant that the naval bombardment was nearly three times as long. Along most of the beach the German coastal defences were quickly overwhelmed. The British tanks landed successfully, and played a key part in this victory. Only at le Hamel, garrisoned by part of the 352nd Division, did the Germans hold out into the afternoon, and their strongpoint in the sanatorium at le Hamel had to be blasted apart by the petard tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.