1 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Who will be King of Tokyo? review by Daisy Doodle Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
To see the full review with pictures go to http://daisydoodledice.com/2014/07/15/king-of-tokyo/

I feel like I’m playing king of the mountain, or something similar, combined with Yahtzee, when I play this game, only in board game version of course. We’ve had this game a long time, and it’s one of those constants. It may sit on the shelf for a few months, but sooner or later, it just keeps getting played. So I thought I’d share our experience with the game.

Mfg. Age: 8+

Our Age: 6+

Length: 30 min

Players: 2-6

Basics

Pick a character. I’m no fun, I always choose the same character, Boogie Woogie (he’s from the Halloween expansion.)

You’ll take turns throwing the dice. Just like Yahtzee, you get three rolls and each roll you can set stuff aside if you want to keep it. You could roll a 1, 2, 3, attack claws, lightning, or a heart. 1′s, 2′s, and 3′s are only good for victory points. Victory points is one way you can win the game. First to 20 points wins. You have to roll 3 of one number to use them. Attack claws are just like they sound, they attack others. You only have 10 hit points. When you’re out of hit points, you’re out of the game. Last man, or creature, standing can also win the game. For every heart rolled you get one life point back (if you have the power up expansion they’re used for that too.).

Lightning is energy. You get one energy cube for each lightning bolt rolled.

Energy cubes can be used to buy cards. Three cards come out at a time. There’s a lot of cards in the game to keep things different for a long time.

When attacking you may end up in Tokyo. Here you can do a lot of attacking and gaining victory points, but you cannot heal here, so it’s a dangerous place to be.

In the end, the winner is the last one standing, or the first one to 20 victory points. Whichever comes first wins the game.

My two cents

I have to admit, when I first played this game, I did not like it at all. I’m not a big fan of attacking games (unless it’s Small World). I didn’t like attacking other people, and I didn’t like being attacked. If I played I played strictly for victory points. However, I can be a little vindictive so if someone comes right out and attacks me, I will hunt them down.

That being said, I don’t feel the same way anymore. I’ve come a long way since we first started playing games. This game is about attacking and I no longer worry about attacking others, or being attacked. That’s what this game is all about. I still prefer to stay clear of Tokyo but I have no problem attacking, and if put in Tokyo, I will attack as much as possible.

Components

The dice are cool. They’re larger than normal dice and have a nice feel to them. The problem is people with little hands have a hard time rolling them all at once.

The board is small. It’s smaller than the box and no folding necessary. This makes it a great game for the kids to play on their own. Of course, there’s always the chance they’ll lose pieces, but at least they aren’t ripping the board.

The energy cubes are good quality and look nice. The cards are fine as far as cards are concerned. Ryan sleeves pretty much every game so ours are in sleeves.

There’s some other tokens made out of cardboard. They’re great for as often as they get used. They only get used for some of the cards. We hardly ever get them out.

I have some kids that love this game, and others that hate it and refuse to play. Bean, 10, doesn’t like it at all and won’t play it. Mr. Brown loves this game. However, it is his game and I think that’s part of it. Bean’s the only one that hates it with a fiery passion, but I think sometimes your first experience with a game can skew your perception and you may decide you like it, or hate it, regardless of how later games turn out for you.

My 4 and 6 year old can play this game. However, we either take the cards completely out of the game, which means the energy roll does nothing for you, or we have to diligently help them buy and use their cards to make it fair. Like most games, I prefer to play with the older kids if I want a challenge, but when I’m having a super mom moment, I enjoy playing with the little ones and watching them get excited about being a part of the game.

This is a great game to teach to others, even if they’re not regular gamers. It’s pretty simple to learn and understand and although there are some that don’t like it, most people we’ve played it with really enjoy it. Ryan played it with his high school students when they had time, and he also played with some other teachers, and they really enjoyed it.

It’s a game that most of my children like, and one that I expect to continue to play for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.