Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing tonight, and someone ran a purple car off the track into a wall, destroying it and bringing out the safety car. I understand how they line up and move. The leader (my car) and a yellow were set to pit, and this created holes in the line. I figured some cars would move more than one space on their turns to close up the holes.

Where I ran into a problem is with fuel. Moving back one extra space after pitting added three turns to my car, but I didn't know how to do this while the safety car was out. The line looked like this:
Lots of cars, my car, yellow car.

I figured if I swapped positions with the yellow car, this could account for 3 fuel. Good so far. But what happens if I wanted to move back farther? Wouldn't I close up this hole on my next move (assuming the safety car was still out)? What if I added enough fuel to remove my marker from the grid? In my case, that would be 19 turns and 7 spaces back! No problem though if I immediately closed up the hole. I ended up swapping with the last yellow car. What is the rule here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea on the exact ruling, but based on real F1 (when the did re-fuel), I'd just re-fuel to the end of the race and plonk your vehicle on the end of the safety car train - no gaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Doug says. You load enough fuel for all the race and simple put your car the last in the row after the SC.

I've read that rule somewhere I can't recall now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuel rules? What, why, where?

At Monza a pitstop is 6 spaces (Pitting skill=4 spaces) backward and at Hungaroring it is 8 spaces (Pitting skill=6 spaces).
You next pitstop will be 10 rounds from this pitstop.

So how do you choose just to re-fuel for 7 rounds?

But anyway, I would say that you would just move you car to the back of the pack behind the safety car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 15 of the rules, second paragraph:

"Every pit provides a player with 10 turns of fuel. If a player want to add more fuel he has to extend his pit stop time of 1 (moving backwards of one additional section) for every 3 turns of additional fuel"

In Monza, 26 turns, If you stop in Turn 14 you have fuel until Turn 24, when you will have to stop again. You can extend your pit stop going backwards one more section (so 7 in total in Monza) for 3 extra turns of fuel, so you reach Turn 27, beyond the end of the race, and no more stops are needed (although you can stop again if you need because you have spent your tyres of whatever)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did I miss that?

I just feel some of the fun is taken away from the game.
Now everybody will do a 2-stop strategy and you will not see people being forced to take a third - and expensive - pitstop.

I also think that taking a pitstop and moving backward 1 extra space for the reward of 3 turns of fuel is a very cheap price to pay.
It should at least have been 1 space backward for 1 turn of fuel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Block
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Doug and Jorge as well. Since there is no racing speed when the SC is out, it doesn't really matter when refulling would lengthen your pit stop by a couple seconds.
Don't know if the rules address that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoda wrote:

I've found it!
It's in the FAQ, page 5:

"Can a player embark more than 10 turns of fuel when pitting when the SC is on the track?
Yes, he can embark as much fuel as he likes and still be placed in last position without further penalty"

And this is important too: a player with Pitting skill does NOT take 2 track cards if he pits while SC is on the track, because all skills and strategies are inactive while SC is on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbsiena wrote:
Nikoda wrote:

I've found it!
It's in the FAQ, page 5:

"Can a player embark more than 10 turns of fuel when pitting when the SC is on the track?
Yes, he can embark as much fuel as he likes and still be placed in last position without further penalty"

And this is important too: a player with Pitting skill does NOT take 2 track cards if he pits while SC is on the track, because all skills and strategies are inactive while SC is on the track.

Thank you. That's twice I've missed rules in the FAQ. I also would have forgotten about losing the pitting skill bonus.

I wonder though. If I pit and Yellow pits later in the same round, do I stay 1 car ahead of him if I add fuel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
How did I miss that?

I just feel some of the fun is taken away from the game.
Now everybody will do a 2-stop strategy and you will not see people being forced to take a third - and expensive - pitstop.

I also think that taking a pitstop and moving backward 1 extra space for the reward of 3 turns of fuel is a very cheap price to pay.
It should at least have been 1 space backward for 1 turn of fuel.

The option to add fuel is actually a very good one. Sure you can plan for a two-pit race, but being able to actually pull it off is another matter. It can get particularly difficult if the weather changes. Last week we ran Hungaroring with rain, later moved back and forth through uncertain, and finished dry. It seemed like every time I pitted, the weather would change soon after. I always had the wrong tires even after pitting 3 times to change them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:

I wonder though. If I pit and Yellow pits later in the same round, do I stay 1 car ahead of him if I add fuel?

You pit in your Turn and put your car the last in the row.
If another car pits after you, he puts his car after yours.

This is the way I see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you take a longer pitstop for extra fuel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Even if you take a longer pitstop for extra fuel?

FAQ says: "Yes, he can embark as much fuel as he likes and still be placed in last position without further penalty"

So yes, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you should hope for an early safety car period and refuel for the rest of the race! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
So you should hope for an early safety car period and refuel for the rest of the race! shake

Try to force the safety car out in your next race. It's hard to do. You need to get the orange flag, and you need to force a robot to LB in a corner that has a safety car crash. There aren't many. Then he usually needs to fail at least 2 blind checks -- one for the LB and another for the off-track check. Probably easiest to do in rain.

Then you need to wonder if you really want the safety car out. If you're the leader or near the lead, then you probably don't want it to happen (except for the leader in the last stage). I've taken the orange flag just to keep others from taking it!

Lastly, sure you can add lots of fuel and maybe have 18+ turns to the race's end without having to pit. But good luck doing that. You probably need "save tyres," but that's not a good strategy if you are in the back of the field.

I don't have a problem with this rule because I've experienced it. It's a great time to pit, but it's not an automatic decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game!!!

So much to take into account! And so much "race-y" (if that can be a word....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.