Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: HIS PBEM tourney? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there ever be another one of these?
I had just learned the game when the last one started, and of course they take a couple of years. I'd love to compete in one.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would run one if it is all western hemisphere players and we agree to no more than 48 hours delay between turns. I use ACTS and Vassal and Dropbox.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mountaintopdan wrote:
I would run one if it is all western hemisphere players and we agree to no more than 48 hours delay between turns. I use ACTS and Vassal and Dropbox.
Second that on the turnaround, ACTS and Dropbox. But CB is best for multi-player games with its game state double check.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rievler wrote:
mountaintopdan wrote:
I would run one if it is all western hemisphere players and we agree to no more than 48 hours delay between turns. I use ACTS and Vassal and Dropbox.
Second that on the turnaround, ACTS and Dropbox. But CB is best for multi-player games with its game state double check.


Realistically, you couldn't do a tournament with VASSAL; it's far too easy to cheat. You could get caught, but it would be very, very hard to track down.

In CB, if there is a game-state error, you stop everything and force the last person to redo the file.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in this too. I've never played in one, but think it would be a good experience. I like the time limit, and I use ACTS and CB. I don't use dropbox though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested as well - I don't think Western Hemisphere should be a constraint. I have been in several PBEM HIS games and doubt I have ever held up play significantly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in too.... playing my first PBEM game through Vassal + ACTS + Dropbox
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Smith
Canada
London
ON
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd love to play. Very experienced - played about 40 games so far and won as every power.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like there is some interest. Past tournaments were co-sponsored by BPA and GMT games. Don't really know what sponsorship entails. Bryan Collars was GM for both. Ed's website has details on rules, etc.
http://home.comcast.net/~ebeach/HISBPATourney2009.htm

BPA's website has the following document
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/pbemgm.htm
I'd say we need:
1) A GM and Associate GM to run the tourney. Experienced folks interested?
2) Notice of tourney should be posted at consimworld and at the big gaming conventions. WBC is coming up soon. I've never been, that F2F event could be ideal way to work out details.
3) Website to serve as central clearinghouse for rules, info, players, standings, etc. I've no experience with this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Running it through BPA doesn't require any red tape. As long as you have a website, clear rules, and a plan for dealing with people who don't play quickly enough, you can get the BPA to agree with it. A tournament run through the BPA awards laurels (the BPA's measure of tournament success), but be aware that players would have to be BPA members (athe smallest membership, which allows entry into all PBEM tournaments, is $10 a year).

All that being said, I'd love to see a BPA-sponsored PBEM tournament. If anybody's interested in running it, the person to speak to is probably Kaarin Engelmann.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Riston
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down for a tournament.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Riston
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
I would be interested as well - I don't think Western Hemisphere should be a constraint. I have been in several PBEM HIS games and doubt I have ever held up play significantly.


I can vouch for Martin. He plays faster than most western hemisphere players in the games that I've played with him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ristonj wrote:
gamer42_au wrote:
I would be interested as well - I don't think Western Hemisphere should be a constraint. I have been in several PBEM HIS games and doubt I have ever held up play significantly.


I can vouch for Martin. He plays faster than most western hemisphere players in the games that I've played with him.
Thanks John - the cheque is in the mail
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cutter
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for a tournament!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.