Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Legend of Robin Hood and dig it. What are the other games that AH released in the small box format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of four that they released in that format. Robin Hood as you have mentioned and these three:

Battle for Italy

Hundred Days Battles

Little Round Top

Naval War also comes in a small box, nut I am not sure if it is in the Gamette series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my collection, I have:

Naval War
Little Round Top: The South's Best Chance at Gettysburg
Battle for Italy
Hundred Days Battles
Inventions
Od
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The inevitable next question....are any of them decent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval War is very fun if a little light. Little Round Top is not a bad title even by today's standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Both Hundred Days Battles and Arcola work quite well (better than some of the big games with that system).

Note though: I don't think "gamette" is the term that AH used for these games. They used "gamette" for expansion modules from what I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the last two and more modern yet with the gamette format: Colossal Arena and Atlantic Storm. Btw, Colossal Arena is a new reprint. The original AH one was called Titan: the Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
Note though: I don't think "gamette" is the term that AH used for these games. They used "gamette" for expansion modules from what I recall.

It's exactly what AH designated them. "AH Bookshelf Gamette" is printed right on the box lids of the wargame titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Italy, Hundred Days Battles, and Little Round Top were reissues of OSG ziplocks with upgraded components (hard map and box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
J.L.Robert wrote:
M St wrote:

It's exactly what AH designated them. "AH Bookshelf Gamette" is printed right on the box lids of the wargame titles.

Interesting. I guess that indicates to me that I had the OSG versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
M St wrote:

It indicates to me that my memory is failing. I seem to recall "gamette" being another term for "module" ... but I guess not.

Maybe I was thinking that because Hundred Days Battles and Arcola: The Battle for Italy, 1796 were samplings of the big Kevin Zucker games on Napoleonic campaigns. And Little Round Top was kind of a sampling of Devil's Den, IIRC.

Other small-box games were stand-alone items, not connected to any big-box games. But I have no idea which ones the word "Gamette" is printed on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Hundred Days Battles. I clicked on it expecting to kick myself for losing such a valuable OOP game and was relieved to see it's no grail game. Better than that copy of Aliens that disappeared 20 years ago in my parents' house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Arcola (Battle for Italy), and it's pretty good for being such a small game. I'd definitely recommend it if you're thinking of trying Kevin Zucker's Campaigns of Napoleon series, or if you just want a meaty game with a small footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
M St wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
M St wrote:

It indicates to me that my memory is failing. I seem to recall "gamette" being another term for "module" ... but I guess not.

It was also that. I, too, didn't realize it was also their term for a game in a small package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
Naval War is very fun if a little light. Little Round Top is not a bad title even by today's standards.

Little Round Top was good enough AH bought the rights from another company to produce it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can never get over the mishmash of everyone's navies in everyone's hands in Naval War. However, I really enjoy Enemy in Sight, which is a more complex age of sail version of the game. (And was in a half-thickness 'gamette' box, so it's on-topic.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't B-17: Queen of the Skies released in the gammette format? I know it was in a small box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
Wasn't B-17: Queen of the Skies released in the gammette format? I know it was in a small box.

Nope. Normal size, although thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
Xookliba wrote:

Yes, it is the exact same dimensions as Cross of Iron, a gamette. But B-17 was not referred to as a "gamette," as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
cheng wrote:
Xookliba wrote:

Yes, it is the exact same dimensions as Cross of Iron, a gamette. But B-17 was not referred to as a "gamette," as I recall.

OK... then there are different size boxes for "gamettes." Hundred Days Battles had a smaller box. I don't know the dimensions offhand, but the length and with were about half of the size of B-17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
Xookliba wrote:
cheng wrote:
Xookliba wrote:

OK... then there are different size boxes for "gamettes." Hundred Days Battles had a smaller box. I don't know the dimensions offhand, but the length and with were about half of the size of B-17.

I think the better way to think about it is that AH referred to two different things as 'gamettes': modules/expansions for other games (e.g., Cross of Iron); and games that came in smaller (not thinner) boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hung
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hpgeek wrote:
I know of four that they released in that format. Robin Hood as you have mentioned and these three:

Battle for Italy

Hundred Days Battles

Little Round Top

Naval War also comes in a small box, nut I am not sure if it is in the Gamette series.

Most of them were from other publishers line that were absorbed by AH.
3M
Battleline
OSG

B-17 is not part of it, they have also what I called the Thin box (half height and 8.5 x 11). Used frequently in expansion modules for ASL.

Venture is also in small box format
Venture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, the OSG Hundred Days and AH version had some counter changes as well, maybe more.

AH version is not just a upgraded printing.

For example Nappy is a 4*4 in the OSG and a 5*4 in the AH. The 1 and 2 Old Guard have their ineffectiveness reduced in AH to 0 from 1 in OSG.

There is a Grand Battery counter in AH that is not present in OSG. This is for a new optional rule.

Plus there are nine white game markers for turn, pursuit battle, pitched battle, and D. OSG had just the turn marker.

The game charts are on a full size 8 1/2 x 11 in the OSG as opposed to a half sheet in the AH. This makes them much, much easier to read and use.

Thats just of the to of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing, Blucher loses his bonus points * in the AH version, so he can no longer reduce combat rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.