Igor Freitas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the card:
Quote:
The Shango Figurine may only be used at the beginning of your "Draw Cards" phase. From now until the end of your "Draw Cards" phase, each time you would draw a card, draw three instead. You may choose to keep one and discard the other two, or to discard all three.

What happens if you have 2 copies of Shango Figurine at your side?
1 - Can you use both? I believe yes because nothing says that when you use the Figurine you immediately resolve the Draw Phase afterwards. you would spend 3 actions, to use both of them and then draw.
2 - Do they add up (6 cards instead of 3)? I understand that the effect cannot be cumulative because that would create an infinite loop (every 3 cards you draw would be replaced by 3 that would each be replaced by 3 and so on), but if you can't use 2 Figurines and add their effects, you also shouldn't be able to use other doubled artifact's effects twice, and the game says that you can do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorigor wrote:
From the card:
Quote:
The Shango Figurine may only be used at the beginning of your "Draw Cards" phase. From now until the end of your "Draw Cards" phase, each time you would draw a card, draw three instead. You may choose to keep one and discard the other two, or to discard all three.

What happens if you have 2 copies of Shango Figurine at your side?
1 - Can you use both? I believe yes because nothing says that when you use the Figurine you immediately resolve the Draw Phase afterwards. you would spend 3 actions, to use both of them and then draw.
2 - Do they add up (6 cards instead of 3)? I understand that the effect cannot be cumulative because that would create an infinite loop (every 3 cards you draw would be replaced by 3 that would each be replaced by 3 and so on), but if you can't use 2 Figurines and add their effects, you also shouldn't be able to use other doubled artifact's effects twice, and the game says that you can do it.

I'm not sure you would ever need 2.

If you use it and don't keep any of the 3 cards, you may spend another action point to draw 3 more cards (via the same Shango Figurine card)

If you kept 1 card from the three you drew when you first activated it, then you are now out of the Draw Card phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Freitas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is: With every other artifact you can use 2 in one turn, to get a better result. You pay more, you tap both, and resolve each one.

Why would this one be different? If it was, wouldn't this be relevant enough to be added to the rulebook? They even took the trouble to explain you can't use Cape Buffalo and Tortoise with Shango (which can easily be deduced since you can only use Shango at the Draw phase but you resolve the effects of Cape Buffalo and Tortoise at the Play phase) and simply left out the rule "you can't use 2 copies of Shango Figurine in the same turn"? That would be weird, at minimum.

In my interpretation, using 2 copies of Shango makes you draw 6 cards and keep one or discard to draw another 6 and so on. It wouldn't be too strong unless you need to dig a very specific card. In case the draw pile is exhausted, the discard is shuffled back so no problem making cards flow fast like that.

One action spent to make 3 options become 6 is a fair price to pay when you only get to keep one card afterwards. I don't think it would even be used in most of the games, but I believe a player has the possibility to do so, if it fits his needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.