Subject: Thor is a woman now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Made a little punk playlist (the purple circle); Celtic Pirate Music, traditional songs and songs of history.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, Marvel announced on "The View" that Thor will now be a woman. Not sure how I feel about this. Picture below. Discuss.

Variety:Thor As Woman
Wired:New Female Thor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... while I'm not opposed to strong female characters in general, and superheroes in particular - this choice seems odd, as if I understand correctly, it'd require retconning Norse mythology...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Made a little punk playlist (the purple circle); Celtic Pirate Music, traditional songs and songs of history.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Hmmm.... while I'm not opposed to strong female characters in general, and superheroes in particular - this choice seems odd, as if I understand correctly, it'd require retconning Norse mythology...

That is my concern, especially with so many strong female characters in Norse mythology. Odd. Though Loki has been a woman a few times (among other things).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

That is my concern, especially with so many strong female characters in Norse mythology. Odd. Though Loki has been a woman a few times (among other things).

There is no retcon. In the Marvel Comics Thor has caused himself no longer to be worthy to wield Mjolnir. So, he no longer has it. All of his history exists, and all the Norse mythology based around him is still true, just in the current day, he made a mistake. A female has picked up the hammer, and she now "wields the power of Thor" - as is inscribed on the hammer. The son of Odin is still an active character in the comics, he just has an axe now. (This isn't the first time that someone else has wielded the hammer in the comics, and is how we got Beta Ray Bill, it is just the first time they are making that character be "Thor" and be female and be in the main continuity.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The motivation behind the idea was briefly on Stan Lee's FB page and imho, this change (if this info was accurate) is lame.

I'm all for GURL power but this just seems idiotically forced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
The motivation behind the idea was briefly on Stan Lee's FB page and imho, this change (if this info was accurate) is lame.

I'm all for GURL power but this just seems idiotically forced.

Nah, it's to sell 18 comics. Thor will be "Thor" again by the release of Avengers 2. Just like the new Captain America will not be Captain America in a year/year-and-a-half, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

As opposed to the usual authenticism? Please!

The picture sucks, but I like the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, those norse gods were into kinky stuff.
wikipedia wrote:
By the stallion Svaðilfari, Loki is the mother — giving birth in the form of a mare — to the eight-legged horse Sleipnir.
Live and let live, brother...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand how they're selling the switch. That this isn't actually the same Thor but some woman who picks up the hammer after Thor falls from grace. It's just part of a long story line. I suspect Thor will regain his hammer down the road at some point.

The news story headlines are purposely being a bit deceptive though to get people to read the story. The truth is the comic book folks do this kind of this from time to time to stir the pot a bit and get publicity. Remember Superman dying? He's back alive by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously this means that in Avengers 3 Thor will be played by Sarah Michelle Gellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my friends want to fight against this, but I have a feeling they'll just end up Thor losers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another case of a comic book company being bored and not willing to invest in another character so they create one using something well known. Look at Spiderman these past few years. Marvel got tired of killing off Jean Grey so they now have brought in her daughter instead to essentially play the same role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Just another case of a comic book company being bored and not willing to invest in another character so they create one using something well known.

Marvel (and all) are forever trying to create new characters, just no-one ever buys them.

matthean wrote:
Marvel got tired of killing off Jean Grey so they now have brought in her daughter instead to essentially play the same role.

Racheal Summers is pretty cool, but she's been around since before I was born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
In what can only be considered a major alignment of celestial bodies, I just this week dropped the remaining comics from my pull list. For the first time in nearly 20 years I am not getting any regular comics.

I should replace this money, time, and space consuming habit with something else.

Hrm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
mylittlepwny wrote:
Some of my friends want to fight against this, but I have a feeling they'll just end up Thor losers.

Funny, my friends are blasé about it, but they are pretty Loki about most things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amused by the number of posts essentially saying that this is too weird. Has everyone already forgotten Beta Ray Bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
imprimis5 wrote:
I'm amused by the number of posts essentially saying that this is too weird. Has everyone already forgotten Beta Ray Bill comics are supposed to be weird?

Fixed it for myself. I agree with the sentiment. Somehow, comics have almost become a sacred myth instead of fun stories.

I'm ambivalent. And anyone that thinks this isn't going to go back to Son of Odin as Thor... well, he will...

Peter Parker died and was gone, gone for good last year... but now he's back. Superman died and that didn't last long. Bruce Wayne has died, not been Batman, is back, is Batman, isn't Batman... whatever.

They are just corporate characters, drumming up sales. Not inviolate myths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Racheal Summers is pretty cool, but she's been around since before I was born.

(shakes cane)

Get off my lawn!

It still feels like she was meant to fill in for Jean. Also, X-23. Now that's she been integrated as a hero they can kill off Wolverine for a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in the Aluminum Age of comics. Everything is recycled and recyclable.

Bucky, Jason Todd, Uncle Ben, Aunt May, secret identities, Brand New Day, "New Cap", "New Thor", "New Batman", ad nauseum.

It would not suprise me at all if they somehow brought Bruce Wayne's parents back to life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:

Funny, my friends are blasé about it, but they are pretty Loki about most things.

Asgard is my witness, this really Freys my balls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Osiris Ra wrote:
shumyum wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:

Asgard is my witness, this really Freys my balls.

Sorry, I agree it was Friggan terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was Neil Diamond who sang "Thor, you'll be a woman soon".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
and nick Fury will be black. We'll get used to it, or it'll be gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
and nick Fury will be black. We'll get used to it, or it'll be gone.

Oh gosh. Remember that hubbub? Or how about Colossus being gay in Ultimate (at least, I think that was Ultimate)?

Or remember when Batman carried a gun? You don't, you say? Well, he's sure changed from some early comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.