Subject: Are planets considered spaces when moving? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you count the planets as a space when you're moving? I couldn't find it anywhere in the rulebook (which doesn't mean it's not there, I just couldn't find it )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Iles
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yes. Any area with a blue or yellow border is a "space" regardless of whether it has a planet in it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but what I am asking, is, if I move into an area with a planet in it, do I have to spend another movement to actually get onto the planet or am I considered to be on the planet just by being in the same space with it?

Like in this image, is the red ship 1 or 2 moves from landing on the Space Bazaar/Amnon Duul? (yes I know it's the Reaver ship, pretend it's a Firefly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
Boise
Id
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One space. There's no separate "orbiting" state or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you're in a Sector, you're considered to be anywhere you want within the Sector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George:

I've always played that a planet, space station, etc. is in fact a separate space. If you play it your way, it raises a question for me:

1. How much does it cost to fly from one planet/station to another in the same sector? Does it take a Fly action to do so?

I suspect I would have other questions about it as well, but can't think of them at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really? Why would you play it that way? There's nothing in the rules to even hint at that, is there? In fact:

Quote:
Signs on the map mark where you can Buy. In that Sector, you may buy from the corresponding Supply Deck and/or discard pile.

Similar phrasing ("in that Sector") is used for taking Shore Leave and Dealing with Contacts. Although not explicitly stated, it seemd pretty implicit that you just need to be somewhere in the Sector, not actually land on the planet.

As for your question... If a Sector contains two locations and you have business at both -- bonus! No action required.

I'll point out something that is relevant in multiple threads: the game seems intentionally agnostic on how much time a turn or action takes. Shore Leave, for example, might be two hours of dinner and shopping... or it might be a month long vacation! Buying a gun might be as simple as 10 minute stroll to the local BluMart(TM) -- or it could be days of dealing with black market contacts to get the right weapon in your hands.

Same thing with the other actions. So let's say you have to Work on two different planets in the same Sector. The second Work action might include time for the "mini-Mosey" from one planet to the other. Or maybe Wash and Zoe are heading over in the shuttle while the rest of the gang does whatever the second action is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
chas59 wrote:
George:

I've always played that a planet, space station, etc. is in fact a separate space. If you play it your way, it raises a question for me:

1. How much does it cost to fly from one planet/station to another in the same sector? Does it take a Fly action to do so?

I suspect I would have other questions about it as well, but can't think of them at the moment.

You don't fly from one location in a sector to another, all the Fly action rules cover flying from one sector to another. When you're in a sector, you can do the Work, Buy and Deal actions as they pertain to any planet/Supply/Contact in that sector during your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional consideration: if you needed to take another Fly action to reach a planet in the same sector, Make Work's usefulness would be strictly limited to a spare action only while shopping.

I have to admit, I am surprised to see a misinterpretation of this, given a full reading of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but my guess would be that anyone who is misinterpreting is doing so based on other games similar to Firefly where locations DO count as a different "space." We all bring our histories with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George,

Exactly right! Other space games I've played (dozens) have often required this. But come to think on it, I'm wrong, and we don't play the way I've described it. I'm just play too many games at once...never mind.

Make Work as we play it is mostly useful in sectors away from Supply Planets or Contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do you play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as everybody else--when you're in a sector, you can be anywhere there. That's how you can Make Work as you pass a planet without an extra movement for stopping off there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha. Misread -- I thought you had a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.