Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

K2: Broad Peak» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Purge: # 373 K2: Broad Peak: An expansion for a very thematic game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2604212#it...

Conclusion:

Broad Peak is an expansion for K2. These set of games are very thematic. The mechanics are strongly tied to the theme. All of the mountains are historically based and comes with stories about actual climbs up these mountains.

Having more mountains to climb is a huge plus, but this expansion includes much more. We get some new mechanics that are hugely connected to actual climbs on these mountains. It is so nice to see actual new mechanics and the history of these mountains included in the game.

This expansion includes two scenarios that play very differently. Race to the Top gives you zero tents and a lot of snow. You can build a snow cave, but they only last for two days.

Broad Point gives you a completely different challenge. You get the new traverse challenge, fewer tents, and more available VP.

Having two new boards that have new areas to explore with new variants is so much more desirable than just another board. This gives us another way to play the game. Fantastic expansion.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are the same quality of the base game. The board is smaller, but it does retain the same great art work. You will need the base game to play this expansion.

You also get some cardboard tokens and chits. Everything works great and looks fantastic. It could have been flashier, but they went for substance over style.

Rule Book:

The rule book is full color, short, and to the point. You will need an understanding of the base game before playing this expansion. The expansion adds a few rules for each scenario that must be understood to play it. I wouldn't advise learning this expansion until you have a good understanding of the base game.

It isn't difficult, just more rules and plays differently.

Flow of the Game:

I am going to assume you have an understanding of the base game rules. I am going to focus on the new game only.

In the box, you get two maps and thus two new scenarios:

1. Race to the Top:

A. Remove one weather tile: this board is three turns shorter

B. You also do not have any tents and lose a couple of acclimatization cards

C. You can build snow caves. You spend movement points to build them. A snow cave only last two days: use them wisely. A snow cave gives the climber one acclimatization point.

D. Solo play is included.

2. Broad Peak Traverse:

A. Each player gets one less tent

B. VP's are placed on each of the peaks

C. For a single movement point, you can pick up and move a tent to use for later

D. When a climber leaves base, they can either traverse left to right or right to left. This is designated with a traverse marker. You get 2 extra VP if you are able to climb to get the other traverse marker. This gives you two peaks to work towards.

E. You can score more VP than the standard 10 points.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes, if you enjoyed the base game. This is more than just an expansion, it instead allows you to have a new fresh experience with the game. It really feels like a different mountain. A new adventure.

If you like the base game, I feel this might be a must buy. Not because it adds more, but because it adds different.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.