United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working in game development (video games) for almost 15 years. On a number of projects I also handled community and social outreach.

Over the last month or two I've dove headfirst into the board game community as I've tried to connect locally and at great distances.

I am absolutely blown away at how special the BGG/BG Community is. There is a willingness to share, support, and guide that I've never seen before. This is a considerable sized group to have such an incredible willings to help each other.

Anyone have some opinions on why this is? Is it the nature of the audience? Is it the nature of a cross section of people who are smart, tech savvy, and yet down to earth because they like board games?

Never seen anything quite like it so it is fascinating me.

Cheers, and thanks!
~E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what makes it great...it just is. Boardgaming just seems to attract amazing people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dblayton wrote:
I don't know what makes it great...it just is. Boardgaming just seems to attract amazing people.

Especially here. I check out one of the Polish board game forum from time to time. People are helpful there, but I don't feel so good as on BGG. Here I am every single day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading this Board for months before finally singing in. I've been on a lot of boards (books, music, movies...) and yes here it is something special. No trash talk, no wise guys... it's friendly and positive here. I hope it stays this way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGaming is a very social activity, to play you need to meet with other people and talk, exchange ideas, etc also boardgames exploit very often the collaborative factor (even in war games you often make alliances/truces with other players).

If you look the videogamers group (very often enclosed at home playing alone) you get for sure a much more individualistic group than boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That could be it. In a way, to enter this community, you must have learned to engage and share space with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's magic! (...but ya, it's pretty cool here.) thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad someone has picked up this thread again. I am even MORE blown away then when I wrote it originally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon it takes a certain threshold of intelligence &/or maturity to enjoy boardgaming.

Thankfully that threshold is above that at which "trolling" is still considered fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
I reckon it takes a certain threshold of intelligence &/or maturity to enjoy boardgaming.

Thankfully that threshold is above that at which "trolling" is still considered fun.

Very well put! Though certainly I still see my fair share of trolling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nineteen wrote:
Walking on eggshells due to moderation. It is also why this place lacks any personality at all. Dull and pleasant people all around!

Is there a lot of moderation? Most issues I've had on BGG is just getting through submissions. Haven't seen much on boards. I've always found much more proactive moderators on reddit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakecoldwinter wrote:
BoardGaming is a very social activity, to play you need to meet with other people and talk, exchange ideas, etc also boardgames exploit very often the collaborative factor (even in war games you often make alliances/truces with other players).

If you look the videogamers group (very often enclosed at home playing alone) you get for sure a much more individualistic group than boardgamers.

Solo boardgamers are friendly too 1 Player guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
drakecoldwinter wrote:

Solo boardgamers are friendly too 1 Player guild

I'm very interested in making some solo games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nineteen wrote:
Walking on eggshells due to moderation. It is also why this place lacks any personality at all. Dull and pleasant people all around!

I couldn't disagree more. There is plenty of latitude here to speak your mind with the admins only stepping in when a discussion becomes offensive or divisive.

If you want to arguments there's always RSP, but for the rest of us who come here to talk games - this community is the best, most civil, most knowledgeable, most creative and most supportive bunch of people I have ever encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
[q="Nineteen"]this community is the best, most civil, most knowledgeable, most creative and most supportive bunch of people I have ever encountered.

That's exactly why I started this post in the first place. As I've moved from just design/dev/pub to also trying my hand a doing game reviews, I've been equally impressed with the review community here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.