Subject: What would Dominion be like if it were a CCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had the 'pleasure' of buying my own Magic: The Gathering cards, nor for any other CCG. But if I'd have to take a stab at it...

Starter Packs would cost $15 per for 15 cards. Includes Estates and Coppers

Booster packs would cost $10 for 5 to 10 cards.
You'll get mostly the $2 and $3 Kingdom cards (Not Chapel! )

Some 2nd tier, you get many "uncommons" like the $4 and $5 card. These may appear in one out of every 5 to 10 booster packs

3rd tier... "rares"? You'll get Gold, many of the nicer $5 cards (scour Ebay for Mountebanks!), as well as $6 and $7 cost ones. These may only appear one in every 10 to 15 booster packs.

The Victory cards would be handled by some separate system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be...not successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be...not Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
$150 sure seems like a fair price for enough boosters to get a single random rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Setting aside your insane pricing scheme and the fact that you don't actually have a gameplay mechanic anymore...

In most card games, cards have costs. For example, in MtG, cards cost mana to cast; in Netrunner, they cost clicks and credits to play; even in Pokemon you're limited to 1 Supporter per turn. When cards don't have costs, they need to be carefully designed so that they don't cascade off forever into unlimited free cards - that's why Yu-Gi-Oh bans cards like Pot of Greed.

In Dominion, cards have costs, but what they cost is in-game time and in-game currency to add to your deck. If you CCGize it and build your deck before the game begins, those costs cease to exist. Which means that +1 Card/+1 Action cards are completely free and there's zero reason not to start each of your decks by tossing these cards into them:

10x Hamlet
10x Pawn
10x Pearl Diver
10x Vagrant

10x Market Square
10x Menagerie
10x Sage
10x Urchin
10x Village
10x Wishing Well

10x Caravan
10x Herald
10x Farming Village
10x Fortress
10x Mining Village
10x Plaza
10x Spy
10x Walled Village
10x Worker's Village

10x Baker
10x Bandit Camp
10x Bazaar
10x City
10x Hunting Party
10x Laboratory
10x Market
1x Sir Bailey
10x Treasury

10x Grand Market

10x Peddler

10x Apothecary
10x Scrying Pool
10x Alchemist
10x Familiar
10x Golem

1x Trusty Steed?

I don't actually know what the goal of your deck would be, since you've stripped the central gameplay mechanic out of the game. (Which I would have thought would be one of the first things you'd notice as a problem, but apparently the complete lack of an actual game did nothing to dissuade you!) But it doesn't really matter - whatever it is you want your deck to do, you can draw into it and do it with arbitrarily close to perfect consistency. Want to King's Court 10 Bridges? Piece of cake.

Of course, there is one reason not to build your deck that way: it might cost you a lot of real-life money. But that has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay or player skill, and everything to do with how much bankroll you're willing to sacrifice. Since decks can be made strictly better by sacrificing more money and your pricing scheme is so crazy, the game pretty much degenerates into "whoever spends the most money wins".

I propose a simpler, more streamlined ruleset for your Dominion CCG: instead of using cards, each player takes out their wallets and takes turns placing more and more dollar bills on the table. When your opponent runs out of money and you have more money on the table than them, you "win". Then set fire to all of the money on the table and snort the ashes into your nose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
I don't actually know what the goal of your deck would be, since you've stripped the central gameplay mechanic out of the game.
Does every post has to solve a problem with the game or be deathly serious? If so, then these forums would be pretty dead. Many rules questions are covered by the documentation. I can't say I wasn't surprised that talks about alternative topics (in this case, a tribute to Dominion getting us away from CCGs) get such defensive responses though.

salty53 wrote:
I propose a simpler, more streamlined ruleset for your Dominion CCG: instead of using cards, each player takes out their wallets and takes turns placing more and more dollar bills on the table. When your opponent runs out of money and you have more money on the table than them, you "win". Then set fire to all of the money on the table and snort the ashes into your nose.
After that entire post, it's glad to see you actually got the idea of the post and know the idea behind a CCG and why Dominion is a much more desirable for format for the rest of us. You do realize that this topic was just for fun, and I had no intention of actually starting a Dominion CCG right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
When your opponent runs out of money and you have more money on the table than them, you "win". Then set fire to all of the money on the table and snort the ashes into your nose.

Best description of a CCG ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
It would be...not successful.
churchmouse wrote:
It would be...not Dominion.

BTW, thank you captain obviouses! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
In Dominion, cards have costs, but what they cost is in-game time and in-game currency to add to your deck. If you CCGize it and build your deck before the game begins, those costs cease to exist. Which means that +1 Card/+1 Action cards are completely free and there's zero reason not to start each of your decks

You could still start with 7c/3e, but what everyone builds are their own marketplaces (5 instead of 10 kingdom cards per pile?) based on the expansions/boosters they personally own. That way you could turn Dominion into a pay-to-win game like Magic, Netrunner, or Star Wars minis. To make it even more awful you could also turn it into a legacy game, and make it require an app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.