Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

2 Players | <5 Minutes | Ages 8+

This is a dice only/custom dice entry for the 2014 Dice Game Design Contest.

Dicematch is an all-dice game for two players. Players first construct a clan of 6 dice from their battle dice collection. Then, they battle each other with their clans, rolling one die at a time. When comparing rolled results, the die with the higher attack or the one that lands a successful devastate, knocks the other one out. The first player to knock out all six of their opponent's dice is the winner!

Features:
-Easy to learn and teach
-Multiple formats
-Simultaneous turns
-No bookkeeping or extra counters required
-Fast and portable play
-Expandable for new dice combinations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Paradice: The Battle Dice Game
Reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Paradice: The Battle Dice Game
Currently, the prototype dice are just numbers and minimal symbols. Ideally, each die would also have its own "unit/creature/monster" design for all sides (except overpower).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Paradice: The Battle Dice Game - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest
Luck vs. Strategy

This game has a lot of luck and is meant to be a filler dice game played at pubs, restaurants, class breaks, lunch, etc.

However, there is some strategy involved when:
1) Choosing the battle dice for your clan prior to the game - the dice have different combinations of attack values, abilities, and overpower colors

2) Choosing which battle die to roll during the game - will you choose the die based on its overpower colors, abilities, or high attacks?

3) Choosing which ability to activate - this may depend on your current circumstance or preferred playstyle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, if you have any suggestions to boost the strategy without over complicating the game or adding non-dice components, or if you have an idea for a new ability, let me know!

Thanks for you time. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small note.

You are not supposed to post a BGG game entry for WIPs. That actually violates the TOU.

Is this contest requiring that you have a BGG page entry???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ook. Misread. Thought youd linked to a Game page entry, not the list.

Carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potential ability ideas...

Motivation - Knock yourself out. While knocked out, your other dice gain +10 power on their attacks when you have less or the same number of knocked out dice as opponent and +20 power when more knocked out dice.

Retribution - Knock yourself out. While knocked out, your other dice automatically knock out their opponent when rolling a Devastate regardless of color.

Not sure how I feel about these yet. Motivation was originally just +10 regardless but feels weak if it's used on one of your last dice (which you'll never choose to use then) hence the +20 when you're behind in numbers.

Retribution is pretty strong when used at any time but is more luck based than Motivation.

Both require you to track and remember that they are in effect. I would probably add a rule that says normal KOs are set aside to your right and ongoing effect KOs are set aside to your left or maybe that normally dice are set to their devastate side (KO) unless they have an ongoing ability.
We'll see.

As with any ability, its power is balanced and offset by its other stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so I had something actually usefull to contribute... ahem...

Draft Set-up seems a little drawn out?
Draw two - select one, shake, draw two - select one, shake... six times total.

This puts a little extra wear on the dice and drags out the start if that method is used.

Perhaps something like draw 8 and keep 6? Or instead of replacing the dice in the pool. Instead draw two more, discard and keep going till have 6.

Wildstrike: I assume from the wording that rolling wildstrike during the 3 rolls counts as a miss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Just so I had something actually usefull to contribute... ahem...

Draft Set-up seems a little drawn out?
Draw two - select one, shake, draw two - select one, shake... six times total.

This puts a little extra wear on the dice and drags out the start if that method is used.

Perhaps something like draw 8 and keep 6? Or instead of replacing the dice in the pool. Instead draw two more, discard and keep going till have 6.

Wildstrike: I assume from the wording that rolling wildstrike during the 3 rolls counts as a miss?

Yeah I think I like the draw 2, keep 1 & discard 1 and repeat until have kept 6. Then put the discarded dice back in the dice container once all done.

Correct, rolling a Wild Strike doesn't reset the action and the ability itself cant knock out the opponent so its a miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clan is just a term in reference to your "dice deck" or "dice reserve" which you get to customize. But, the dice combinations are pretty much endless.

I am still working on specific numbers but there will be a weight system for each die.

Attacks are easy, 10 attack = 10 points.
Each devastate color = 20 points.
Every ability = X points dependent upon how powerful it is.

Ideally, all dice should be about equal in points but will play completely different.

Example:

10 20 60 90 Abilities Devastate
30 30 40 80 Abilities Devastate

Even with the same abilities and devastate colors these two dice feel quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you publish dice sets ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I told myself if I won the contest I may make the push for an initial set of dice, but now I will probably continue another dice project that didn't qualify for the contest (because it uses a small board) instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking into turning this into a card game.

It will have the same exact mechanics but transitioning from dice to cards (still roll a die for combat), it will be cheaper to make and easier to display information.

It could also open up new abilities and effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards are definitively easier to make

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.