Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Wizkids,

Today on Startrek.com, we were given a "First Look" at the promotional DS9 cards being offered at Gencon a month from now. These cards represent highly desirable and anticipated characters from one of the more beloved iterations of the Star Trek franchise. I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say that these cards are highly desirable to just about every Attack Wing player out there.

But it's a mistake to offer them exclusively at a single convention that 99.9% of Attack Wing players will be unable to attend.

It's not a mistake because I personally desire these cards (I do) and won't be able to get them. It's not even a mistake because they're not widely available for resale.

It's a mistake because--unlike previous prizes and exclusives, including last year's Gencon Khan exclusive--it hurts the Attack Wing player base more than it helps build it.

When Star Trek: Attack Wing was first debuted at Gencon 2013, it was understandable that a special promo card would be made available to the players who would be the first adopters of the game. When you're demoing a new game, it's smart to offer an incentive to get players to buy into a game that they'll then take home (probably all over the country) and show to their gamer friends. Khan was (and is) a cool, desirable card, but his exclusivity could very well be argued to be a savvy business move.

The Organized Play prize kits and their relative exclusivity are sometimes the subject of griping among Attack Wing players, often in more rural areas, who have limited access to them. But their existence has a powerful community-building effect--they bring players together and support the local businesses who host the events. It's a lot easier to find friends to play the game with when the company making the game offers an incentive for you to seek each other out. Organized Play prizes are, on balance, a net positive for the game.

But for such desirable cards to be exclusive to such an extreme degree (only available in a single building in Indianapolis during a single weekend), a full year after the game has been adopted by thousands of players across the world, is an ill-considered move. This is not an item that will attract new players to Attack Wing who were on the fence. At Gencon 2013, weeks before the game hit mainstream retail shelves, the Khan exclusive was in essence available to the entire Attack Wing player base, as tiny and nascent as it was. This year, after the game has matured considerably, the DS9 card pack will exclude the vast majority of loyal players.

This kind of promotional item serves no discernible "greater good" for Attack Wing. It won't attract new players, it will infuriate many loyal players, and it will only feed into an already thriving secondhand eBay market that won't benefit you either.

It should be noted (and has been) that many of these problems would be mitigated considerably if loyal Attack Wing players knew these cards would eventually be available in some other form--perhaps in the retail edition of the oversized DS9 model expected in November.

If plans exist to have these items available to the majority of Attack Wing players in the near future, it would behoove you to make it known to them sooner rather than later.

Thank you for your attention,

Will Holsclaw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to ask my fellow BGGers to understand that I'm not just here to whine about cards I (probably) won't be able to get. I'm just offering well-considered feedback about a game I enjoy.

Please don't jump down my throat or accuse me of flailing my arms about. I'm not.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd cover a wager of fifty bucks at even odds that these cards will appear in the November retail DS9 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
I'd cover a wager of fifty bucks at even odds that these cards will appear in the November retail DS9 release.

I sincerely hope you're right, and I think there's a decent chance you are. A little encouragement from us wouldn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dill

Washington
msg tools
mb
I would place a bet to say those characters will be in the DS9 expansion later this year, but maybe not that exact card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eon Chao
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The same thing that happened with Khan will probably happen with these. Expect to see them at other cons next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who knows their M:tG history:

Nathalni Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If they want to do exclusives just do foil versions and then release the standard version later, that way if someone has a foil it is a cool thing but does not affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:

I believe they will be too. Offering them as "Con" exclusives first gets people going and Boom! Drop them in an otherwise useless expansion set and people will want.

It's the cloaked ships I'm more interested in. I've only got one(GGT) and I want the other Romulans one - well and the K'Tinga for TOS events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the other discussion - but in case this thread catches Wiz Kids attention:

I think WizKids should take a cue from Privateer Press on how they do promos.

PP offers direct purchase on their online store during the duration of conventions for any 'exclusives'.

This allows anyone anywhere to purchase their promos at the same price (plus HONEST shipping costs).

While I will be at Gen Con, and hope to manage to pick one of these up - I certainly would feel no less special if this was offered in the same fashion as the Privateer Press promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:

I sincerely hope you're right, and I think there's a decent chance you are. A little encouragement from us wouldn't hurt.
God, I hope not. As a DS9 winner, Having the model released for sale isn't a bad thing in my opinion as I still got a fairly expensive model as a prize. If I have to still pay for the prize because the retail version gets extra cards in it then I will be pissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Be nice if winners could just purchase the pack separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raleigh of Borg
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear wizkids. Anything you wont let me purchase, i will pirate/steal. That goes for any company who puts anything on the internet. I don't steal it if i can buy it, but if they won't let me purchase it (that does not include getting robbed on ebay), then i'll steal it. So. Its their loss if they don't release it for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:

It would be nice I agree but how on earth would you see that actually working? What if you'd sold them on, how would a person prove that that have a DS9 and need the cards that go with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is really disappointing, why create such a huge gencon exclusive only to not make it available for sale down the road?

Again, I wish I had never bought into this game because it is not helping my 'got to have them all' mentality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Celt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no guarantee that even if you get to Gen-Con that you will be able to get these. Wizkids is known for selling the exclusive items to retailers at the show before they open to the public for the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
aaron2310 wrote:

It would be nice I agree but how on earth would you see that actually working? What if you'd sold them on, how would a person prove that that have a DS9 and need the cards that go with it?

TOs sent one for everyone DS9 they purchased. They hand them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fouts
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited about this, since I'll be getting it at Gen Con.laugh

As a fairly new player, I haven't picked up a ton of Klingon stuff yet, so even if the ships are re-prints, I'm good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cloaked ships themselves will be just the ships - no dials, bases, cards or tokens. You'll (probably) have to pick up the ships separately, though I could be wrong.

Earlier this year, I saw Genkahn on Ebay. Thinking he would be rare, and I'd never get a chance to get him, I contemplated bidding (as it turns out, my bid would have probably won). I eventually decided against it, realising what a slippery slope that it is.

As you will see from this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15850537#15850537

Genkahn was announced as being a participation prize at the UK Games Expo, so I was all over that, it got me in the door to an event I wasn't planning on attending, and I would go again next year even if there is no Attack Wing on the cards (so to speak).

Then we have DS9. It was also a supposed limited item, yet it pops up on the radar as most OP6s draw to a close, if they haven't finished already.

As I've said before, this is no different to DLC coming out for console games, then being bundled in a Game of the Year Edition, or what Peter Jackson did with the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit DVDs.

So, I guess, paitence is the key!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:

+1 Agreed.

However, the new November DS9 is also supposed to have new stats as well. I'm guessing it will have a new base too. I won a DS9 model and gave it away as I have a Playmates model already. I might get the November DS9 for the new cards, base, and rules and then give away the model again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its just the ships not card to go with it nothing just the ships and stands FYI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is "behoove" really a word???

I think its a good letter all things considered, it tends slightly towards the melodramatic (GenCon was not the only place where Genkhan was available, they also had him as a participation prize at the Uk games expo, but that is scarcely the point it still ruled out the majority of attack wing players from getting it, including me).

PanicAtTheSisko wrote:

Even when they have already said there won't be any upgrade or captain cards with eye set at all? That seems a little hopeful for me, but I suppose given the u-turn they did with the arena rules following the general explosion of whining we probably shouldn't underestimate the power of user-base pressure.

I suppose they probably still have time to mass produce these and put them into the ds9 set in time for launch, I'm not sure how long these things normally take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see these causing TOs to ban con exclusive cards. Towards the end of the Dominion War, At one place I play the TO was about to ban GenKahn because only 2 people had him but the rest of us said we were ok with it so he let it go. A whole pack of cards is a different matter though.

Now the solicit for the DS9 expansion in in November does say "exact game components subject to change". My personal feeling is what makes these cards an exclusive is that they are being sold in a pack separate from the DS9. As someone who won 2 DS9 models I don't like the idea of buying one just for the cards, but I will deal with it if it means getting this card set. Besides the mother in-law always gets me one gaming related Christmas present, November is perfect timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spiney_Norman wrote:
Even when they have already said there won't be any upgrade or captain cards with eye set at all?

I think the solicit is quite possibly wrong as to the contents of the DS9 expansion, perhaps being copy/pasted from somewhere else. It seems entirely plausible that a pack of DS9 characters appearing shortly after a retail DS9 is announced might appear in said DS9.

I'm not postitive that's the case, or I wouldn't put it as a 50/50 proposition.

In any event, I'm not overly bothered by it. I have a ninja shopper lined up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So excuse my ignorance since I can't make it to this sort of event, but are those cards *only* going to be packed in with the ship pack or will they be a promo item you can buy on its own? I'm thinking about getting someone to try to get the cards, but not sure I want to pay a hundred dollars for a bunch of models. That one Romulan card though, would solve so many problems and maybe make them playable for me in the new meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.