United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a buddy of mine threw together a very loose build at a sealed last week, which worked very well. Since then, we have been fiddling with it, making some edits, etc. I haven't seen anything like this yet here in my meta, nor online--though I may have missed something.

In essence, the idea is to field Dr. Strange (Master of the Mystic Arts) and rinse repeat Gearing Up to deal 20 in a single turn (I have seen this happen many a time--unless the probability gods frown upon thee). Even if you don't kill in a single turn, you can machine gun the crap out of them, their team, what-have-you. And the beauty of the deck is: you don't have to bother with this at all!

Here is the current list with some explanations:

3x Gearing Up: the backbone of the deck. Thankfully, a good many people play this action, so you often can buy theirs. A good foil to this deck is to buy these up ASAP (esp. if you are going first). But, as stated, the deck can zig if they zag.

3x Rally: You have to eliminate those horrid sidekicks from the bag, and this is the way to do it. This also allows you a decent defense, as well as help with an alpha strike for the killing blow if things get weird. And, yes, it triggers Strange's ability: the important part

4x Beast Mutate #666: necessary evil against Tsarina and Gobby rush. No, we do not have the luxury of playing a Global forced attack--though, in truth, we would rather not have one with Strange and all. Still, he holds the fort and also gives us masks to buy into Strange. And obv the die drawing is great for a deck like this.

3x Storm African Priestess: simple disruption which happens to provide masks. In truth, you want to buy as few characters as possible, but this allows for versatility. More and more I prefer this to Gem Keeper for dealing with things already in play--or, obv, in tandem with Gem Keeper.

3x Hawkeye Longshot: Again, just answers to problems--namely, Johnny Storm shenanigans. He's cheap, you want him to die so you can keep him on the killshot. This could prob just be Gem Keeper as well.

2X Green Goblin Goblin Lord: This could prob just be Gobby, but, in the interest of not continually playing that dang card, I think this is a fine alpha strike push with some versatility and synergy with Rally

3x Dr. Strange Master of the...: This is the combo engine, as explained.

2x Venom Angelo Fortunado: This helps with Gobby shenanigans, and is just all around a good card. It provides some shrinkage for Strange if you wanna smack around bigger opposing guys. Also, works well with Hawkeye.

2x Prof X Charles Francis Xavier: This is edge case control. The deck can generate a lot of energy with the aggressive drawing and action buying. I have yet to really utilize this character, but I feel he has a place.

1x Silver Surfer Sentinel: more die drawing, which is important. It's also nice when your opponent uses the global--usually.

The quantities can shift here easily. For example, if you play Gobby, just drop a Strange and a Prof X, and increase the quantity for full effect with Rally.

Having played this a few times tonight, and watching my buddy annihilate people with it, I def think there is something to Strange in tandem with Gearing Up. I like that the deck has a toolbox of valuable synergies with which to tailor each match. And it's also nice that it isn't just entirely more of the same: Gobby, Tsarina, Johnny Storm, etc.

Anyway, begin the dissection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have run a team similar to this. Worked very well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Watkins

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just gonna throw this out there...pun intended. I've tried this build online a few times and it's a solid thought but I feel you are not exploiting its full potential.

Strange is perfect but there are so many other characters that work well with him. You have a perfect beast as this is all about ramp but you do not have the other component that makes him effective, Mr. F or Phoenix. I suggest running these with distraction to hold onto your strange once you get him vs the rally. Rally is great at cleaning up your used pool and culling but maybe I just haven't seen the momentum it makes for the actions. Venom is great for the everlasting gobby stopper but I know this sounds silly but I've found hawkeye can do a great job at this as well and acts as backup for human torch decks. His low defenses and longbow assassinations are perfect for fielding remove sidekick, attack remove sidekick or they take 3 or 4. And the last changes I would suggest would be to incorporate NOGG for that spot removal as well as getting you the rally you wanted and a ramp booster. Lastly would incorporating angel soaring so you getting get that auto damage.

Thanks for the post I was waiting for someone to give doc strange some love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I might have to test this out.

As a by the by, you might post Dr. Strange's(Master of the Mystic Arts) actual ability so that anyone who reads this doesn't have to go look it up.

Interesting build though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I played with Distraction, and it simply doesn't allow for the one turn combo. You want to clean out the sidekicks and Gear Up and keep drawing them, putting them back in the bag, drawing them, etc. This allows for the 1 turn kill much easier, which would make the deck more combo than control. Without Rally you have a much harder time of this, esp. with all the Gobby hate in the world--you will just draw sidekick dice instead of your combo pieces.

Your suggestions are more akin to a control version, esp. Angel. This is a much slower approach--esp. when Angel is dying, going back in the bag, and not allowing for me to draw Gearing Ups. I would recommend giving this a try to see the difference. And, as I said, you can shift into control if Strange doesn't seem a clear path to victory. But often you will win by way of them not knowing what the hell is happening--esp. since it can just be a single turn kill./

I see the merit in the control approach, but it's sorta apples and oranges. Thanks for the comments though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had good luck with strange and thrown cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case I am not being clear enough for some, the combobis to clear out as many dice EXCEPT Gearing up, which can draw itself in a loop (or with Rally--which also triggers Stranger's ability while thinning the deck). So you play 10 actions in a turn (or less) and win.

This is an aggressive combo that wins with 3 different dice:Strange, Gearing Up, and Rally. Yes, you can play Angel and Thrown Car, but those are not one turn loop kills. You don't need anything else. But you can use your other dice as a Plan B. If they play Gearing up also... you are golden.

If someone wants to make Strange attack, sure. They will take up to 8 and spend an energy in the process. You don't need to protect him. He is a monster. I have seen Strange hit play and win in the same turn, so often this doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bisounour Razmooket
msg tools
While it definitely seems cool to win in one turn, this deck seems like it has a pretty insane amount of setup required to get to that point. You have quite a lot of die listed as essential for your win and most of them aren't exactly cheap dice. It seems like your opponent could and should be putting a lot of pressure on you while you're spending 4-6 energy a turn on your engine. How many of your "protection suite" (beast, storm, hawkeye) do you buy usually before starting on your engine dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides what Bisounour is saying about your engine taking quite a long time to build up, there is a pretty easy counter to this. Your opponent can start using Punisher McRook or Storm for that matter to KO or reroll the Doc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZACH: Punisher does not do this. I pay 2 life. Storm can suck, but as I have stated numerous times, you often can play Strange and win in the same turn, meaning they get no opportunity to play anything. Also, you have 7 other characters. I stated in the first thread that you can zig when they zag, meaning: play differently--as in do not pursue this combo.

Bisou: you have to buy 1 Strange. That is 1 six cost die. Venom and Prof X are there for edge cases, like many other decks. Surfer is there for global. You want to spend your first turns acquiring Gearing Up. If you get stuck with 3, buy Rally, which thins your deck and offers defense. Don't be afraid to use Surfer--this card is insane, instrumental for aggro and combo decks, yet I see people terrified to take 2 damage. I have rarely bought Hawkeye--he is there for Johnny Storm or to pair with Venom. Storm, sure. But ideally you use sidekicks for defense, which Rally ensures and makes possible.

In terms of setup, typically 2-3 Gearing up will have you a Strange by turn 4 or 6. Add in 1-2 Rally and you have the kill. That is fast. And, since you are not buying other characters en masse like other decks, this is reliable. You only buy Beast, etc. AS NEEDED.

You can use Rally to run interference with Sidekicks. A gobby deck can kill you in 4-6 turns, if they have god rolls and you have the opposite. You have Surfer to increase your dice and speed up drawing through your bag, which also helps to buy. I have had as much as 11 energy to use in a turn; my friend has had 12. You have Beast to survive the early game, Storm and Hawkeye for disruption. Venom to make Gobby moot if unanswered. I am stating the deck can win with 3-4 action dice and 1 Strange.

Other than that, saying that you can win by turn 6-8 seems entirely reasonable. I would say 'play it and see' but I think some people would use early turns to play the deck incorrectly: auto buying beast, not using surfer, etc. You have to be willing to take the beats knowing you can win in one go--same as with combo decks in other games like Magic. The difference here is, if you need protection, buy it. If they have a troublesome guy on the table, deal with it. The deck has answers and problems. You will often win by people not knowing what to do. The best way to stop the combo is to buy Gearing Up, at which point the deck just shifts gears--pun intended.

Sorry to be emphatic. I appreciate the feedback, sincerely. I would ask you try before you assume though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that this deck has me intrigued. In a Month 1 OP tournament I was in, one person had a Dr. Strange MoMA deck and she did surprisingly well even though her deck wasn't tuned very well at all. I gave her a lot of credit, though, as it was one of only times she'd ever actually played! Her strategy was to just keep buying actions, which worked, but she didn't have anything to really counter well constructed decks.

After seeing her use Dr. S with decent results, I've been wanting to try my own version of a deck based around him. I've been too focused on the Gobby/Tsarina/Johnny Storm decks, so I haven't really given the good Doctor a chance. This weekend's OP tournament is prohibiting the use of SR cards so this may be my chance to give this a try.

I really like the synergy you've developed here, but of course I'm going to do some of my own play testing before the tourney and see what I can come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played/played against this with said buddy, and this strategy won the majority of the time.

His version included:

Johnny Storm
Rare Magneto
Cap Star Spangled Avenger--for anti-Rally/Gobby decks.

This was in place of:

Venom
Prof X
Longshot

Cap is insane, and most certainly a trump for Gobby--albeit expensive. Johnny Storm and Magneto were a miss in my opinion, but these are edge case slots anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bisounour Razmooket
msg tools
Have you tried using Green Goblin - Norman Osborn at all? Not sure exactly how it would play out but he seems like he might fit in as a decent side option in the deck. He helps accelerate into more energy, keep sidekick dice out of your used pile, and his global might be helpful for keeping control of your opponents board if they steal your Gearing UP dice. Then again his global might also help an opposing Gobby deck.

Like I said, not sure how he would play out in your deck but he seems to outperform my expectations every time i use him and he might prove a worthy alternate plan card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, Goblin-Lord has been very good. He allows for you to alpha strike.

Rally is just gross and insane. I feel like basically every deck can play it, and prob should. So gross.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I played a few games during my lunch break with a friend of mine here at work who also plays and I have some post-game thoughts.

My problem was the mid-game. I was having no trouble getting Gearing Up and Rally very early on and getting a decent dice draw. My issue was that while I was setting up, he was getting comfortable over on his side of the table and establishing board control. I had a lot of sidekicks out there, but he was able to wipe them fairly easily with Hhuman Torch: Johnny Storm and Storm: Wind Rider and then launch big counter attacks. The earliest I was able to even buy a Dr. S was turn 4, then another 2 turns while I waited to draw him.

My worst game was when I finally got myself set up and Dr. S on the field, I was down to 4 life and he was still sitting at 20. I was using the exact deck you posted up top and he has the following:

Green Goblin: Goblin Lord
Human Torch: Johnny Storm
Storm: Wind Rider
Captain America: Natural Leader
Hulk: Jade Giant
Spiderman: Webslinger
Iron Man: Philanthropist
Beast: Mutate #666

Power Bolt and Distraction as Basic Actions.

It's a fairly simple deck, but pretty effective. He really only uses Human Torch, GG, Captain America and Storm. The other dudes are in there to plug any holes that might spring up.

My ideas for the Doctor Strange deck were to trade Punisher: McRook for Hawkeye and Human Torch: Johnny Storm for Venom. With the threat of Dr. Strange being able to do so much damage with his ability, I like Punisher since it may force people to think a bit harder before trading life for their characters. Also, since our tournament this weekend prohibits Super Rares, I don't need to counter the Gobby decks, so Venom isn't completely necessary. I realize I'm missing having a Fist character, but I'm not too worried, plus having another 4 cost in Human Torch gives me more buying options for mid game and makes fielding all those sidekicks even more annoying to my opponent.

Now I know I may have been missing something, so my lack of success with this could be more with my play than anything else.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like you are buying too many other characters perhaps. I have seen this deck win with just strange and its two basic actions against decks as aggressive as Gobby/Tsarina without ever touching anything but Strange and Cap (to wipeout their sidekicks and gain back your life). With Rally and draws, I don't see how you are having issues, even with him nuking your sidekicks. Torch is a slow win often, so you should have time. Storm obv helps, but the good news is Torch isn't gonna kill Strange... like ever. Just Rally, clean out dice as needed, and keep your bag lean with as many Gearing Up as possible, and Rally to keep it this way.

Ultimately, playing any deck means knowing how to navigate your match. I in no way am saying this is THE deck. I am saying it is A deck, and a good one. Like I said in my first post, the deck has other tools. If you are single-minded in any game, it prob won't yield great results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it sounds like the way I was playing it wasn't too far off from the way you've designed it. I think my main problem may have been lying simply in my dice rolls.

My first two turns I was always buying Gearing Up. In the instances where I ended up with a sidekick, I was buying Rally. Regarding the first 2-3 turns, each game would go exactly that way. However, my problem was that when I'd draw Gearing Up, those burst faces were just eluding me. As a result, I was getting less than ideal energy situations and I think that may have worked against me. Each turn I would do everything I could in order to buy the Dr. Strange, but I'd always end up just short with 5 energy, so I don't think I actually bought him until turns 6 or 7. Waaaay too late for things to go well. In the process of getting him out there, I felt I was doing a pretty good job of culling the pool of Sidekick dice, so my base was there, I was just having some bad rolls.

I really do like this deck and I will continue to work with it, since I'm just so tired of seeing the same decks over and over again. I'll be sure and post any further results with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
DFW Area
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add this for people like me that don't know what all the cards do.

http://dicemastersdb.com/team-builder/v1/#1275-3;4491-3;1152...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Martinez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ok so maybe I'm slow or something, but how exactly does this Combo work? The way I'm reading this is that once you stick a Dr.Strange you essentially use a burst symbol Gearing Up to draw 2 dice from your almost empty dice bag(the used Gearing Up goes to the used pile), from the newly drawn dice you get another gearing up and a some other die. You proceed to roll the newly drawn dice and get another Burst Symbol Gearing Up but you only have 1 Die or No Dice left in your bag so you put the used die into the bag and draw the remainder from those. So is that essentially how the combo works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R4inman1025 wrote:
Ok so maybe I'm slow or something, but how exactly does this Combo work? The way I'm reading this is that once you stick a Dr.Strange you essentially use a burst symbol Gearing Up to draw 2 dice from your almost empty dice bag(the used Gearing Up goes to the used pile), from the newly drawn dice you get another gearing up and a some other die. You proceed to roll the newly drawn dice and get another Burst Symbol Gearing Up but you only have 1 Die or No Dice left in your bag so you put the used die into the bag and draw the remainder from those. So is that essentially how the combo works?

That's exactly how it works. In theory, you could just keep using Gearing Up over and over and over again, provided that you keep rolling the burst symbol. Keep in mind, though, that you cannot re-roll those dice that were drawn using Gearing Up since they are being drawn during the Main Step.

My best "Gearing Up String" using this deck so far has been 5 in a row for ten damage, so the potential is there for major damage. If you throw in a few other actions, like Power Bolt or Rally, it gets even nastier. Heck, I've even bought my opponents Invulnerability dice because they're super cheap and that's two more damage to them if I roll it. Granted I don't really like to buy anything that's going to dilute my dice bag, but sometimes I just go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
R4inman1025 wrote:

That's exactly how it works. In theory, you could just keep using Gearing Up over and over and over again, provided that you keep rolling the burst symbol. Keep in mind, though, that you cannot re-roll those dice that were drawn using Gearing Up since they are being drawn during the Main Step.

My best "Gearing Up String" using this deck so far has been 5 in a row for ten damage, so the potential is there for major damage. If you throw in a few other actions, like Power Bolt or Rally, it gets even nastier. Heck, I've even bought my opponents Invulnerability dice because they're super cheap and that's two more damage to them if I roll it. Granted I don't really like to buy anything that's going to dilute my dice bag, but sometimes I just go for it.
I had a triple gearing up roll once, but rolled 1 burst, and 2 (2) energy's, after my reroll, so I used them to buy a new gearing up (we both brought gearing up to the match), which put 3 gearing ups in my used pile, and with my empty bag, I went on, and won that round. The winning felt great, but the method of my win felt bad. I loved it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stegner
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a copy of Rally yet... but can you use Rally even if there are no sidekicks in your used pile? So you could spend it to activate Dr. Strange's ability even though you aren't able to move any sidekicks from reserve to the field?

Cool team idea... gonna try it after I score a Rally this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paradox1995 wrote:
I don't have a copy of Rally yet... but can you use Rally even if there are no sidekicks in your used pile? So you could spend it to activate Dr. Strange's ability even though you aren't able to move any sidekicks from reserve to the field?

Rally says "up to two sidekicks." That means you can use it with no sidekicks in used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Up to' would mean from zero, one, or two sidekicks. So yes you could use it for zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gobeil
msg tools
How would this deck counter someone putting out a Gem Keeper and calling Dr. Strange as soon as you buy him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.