Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm approaching the point where I feel like I have more great games than I can get to the table consistently. I'm trying to narrow my future purchases down to games that provide something unique to my collection, rather than more variations on what I already have.

So, I'd love some to get some feedback about what my collection is missing!

Here's what I have so far:

4X / Civilization:
- Eclipse + Rise of the Ancients

Abstract:
- Chess
- Stratego

Area Control:
- A Game of Thrones: the Board Game (Second Edition)
- Small World

Bluffing / Deduction:
- Coup + Reformation (once the Kickstarter fulfills)

Cooperative:
- Forbidden Island

Customizable:
- Android: Netrunner
- Mage Wars + FvW + DvN
- Star Wars: The Card Game
- X-Wing Miniatures

Deckbuilder:
- Marvel: Legendary + Dark City
- Quarriors! + Quarmageddon

Filler:
- Coin Age
- Guillotine
- Tsuro of the Seas

Light Euro:
- Settlers of Catan + Cities & Knights
- Takenoko

Party:
- Cards Against Humanity

War:
- Axis & Allies: 1942
- Twilight Struggle CE (once the Kickstarter fulfills)

I know that I'm missing worker placement, and I'll be picking up Alien Frontiers and Yedo as soon as I can. I also need a medium-heavy Euro or two; Trajan is at the top of my list. I'd probably get Terra Mystica as well, but one of my good friends already has it and we get it on the table pretty often.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I should prioritize. What major game categories am I missing? Do any of my existing categories need another game or two? Do any of my games belong in a different category entirely? Let me know!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, as far as worker placement goes, Grunwald is a game you might consider, as well as Snowdonia.
For co-op you cannot beat Pandemic.
Good luck with your collection, and Don`t dismiss the old games, as there are still some great gems out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick-up and Deliver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some additions to your existing categories.
Qwirkle for the abstract section as it's really good and so nice to have a 4-player abstract.
In Co-op I'd suggest adding something a little more dice heavy like Ghost Stories or (personal favorite) Elder Sign.
As far as missing categories; There's word games, maybe fill that in with Word on the Street.
Card Drafting like 7 Wonders or go the inexpensive route with Yardmaster Express while it's on Kickstarter.
Also could use a bidding game. Ra tends to be the big one of the bunch but Revolution looks like the best.
While not a genre in itself, I think every collection needs some wild games. My usual shout out is for Smash-Up or King of Tokyo. That kind of quick, combative and colorful gaming is such a blast.
Seems like there are plenty of choices fro worker placement. My group loves Lords of Waterdeep which has continued to be my only title in that genre. Would suggest looking into Kingsburg though. Just looks like such a good game.
Oh and you're missing a dungeon crawler. That can be a tough one to fill depending on your group.
Hope something here helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:

That to. Need one of those for my collection. Thanks for the reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:

Quite; and might I suggest Steam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I presume most people will comment on other things than the abstracts so I'll give you some recommendations there. Some semi-abstracts in the list too:

Hive
The Duke
The Project GIPF series is a great inclusion in any collection too. Which games are the best are highly debated but more often than not people will put YINSH and DVONN there. Personally I much prefer ZÈRTZ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd dump Stratego and get GO instead.

Instead of Forbidden Island, get either Forbidden Desert, or Flash Point: Fire Rescue (AND Hanabi, it's cheap enough and a very good card game).

You need a good engine/tableaux-builder or two - Kingsburg, Homesteaders, Glen More, Splendor.

Other "light euros" to consider - Tokaido, Finca, Yspahan.

Designers that warrant at least 1 game of theirs: Feld, Knizia, Wallace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what about these...I like them all

Filler:
Yardmaster Express
BANG! The Dice Game
Timeline

Card Drafting
7 Wonders

Card Drafting/Hand Management
Uchronia
Concordia
Among the Stars
51st State

Auction/Bidding:
Peloponnes
Ra
Revolution!

Tile Placement:
Alhambra
Carcassonne
Saboteur

Dice Rolling/Worker Placement/'Dice Fest':
Kingsburg
Stone Age

Party Game:
Snake Oil

Race to the Finish:
Lewis & Clark

ALSO in the 4X / Civ Building lite:
Galactic Emperor

I like Justin Passicks suggestions, except I am not a fan of Ghost Stories.

The game plays you...every turn is "do this action" or we lose the game, okay next players turn, now you have to "do this action" or we lose the game, etc, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well.. you have a lot better and wellrounded collection already.

For dumgeon crawl I would recommend Gears of War: The Board Game or the DND games Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game. Myth could replace those, but I haven't yet gotten my copy and there is too much negativity to recommend.

You might want to look into a racing game, like Jamaica. Nice game, looks great while basically roll and move.

I second King of Tokyo for filler. Easy game, place fast and has just enough with the cards to keep interesting

I would recommend Cosmic Encounter for negotiation / backstabbing / mindless fun.

I would recommend Alien Frontiers over Kingsburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
gamesgocrazy wrote:

Quite; and might I suggest Steam?

Yes, yes, yes! Steam is fantastic!

I do believe the OP is missing some good auction games. I recommend Ra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Looks like I have some research to do.

This is the first time that I've heard of Pick-up and Deliver, and it sounds pretty cool. What's the difference between Steam and Age of Steam? And I see Merchants & Marauders on that list—would anyone recommend it for this category?

I've always enjoyed Mage Knight, and I've been thinking of picking it up as a (sort of?) Dungeon Crawler. How does that compare to some of the other DC suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you definitely need some more worker placement and heavier Euro games (or games that count as both). Some ideas:

Lighter WP:

Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
Euphoria

Heavier Euro: (in addition to Trajan)

Agricola (also WP)
Le Havre(also WP)
Terra Mystica
Ginkgopolis (area control)

Maybe a drafting game like Among the Stars, 7 Wonders, or Seasons? Depends on player number and interest in theme.

Or an auction game? I like Fleet here because it also has a fantastic engine-building component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpl wrote:
Thanks everyone! Looks like I have some research to do.

This is the first time that I've heard of Pick-up and Deliver, and it sounds pretty cool. What's the difference between Steam and Age of Steam? And I see Merchants & Marauders on that list—would anyone recommend it for this category?

I've always enjoyed Mage Knight, and I've been thinking of picking it up as a (sort of?) Dungeon Crawler. How does that compare to some of the other DC suggestions?

1. Age of Steam and Steam have different ways of adding goods to the board.
2. Steam has the income and victory point tracks separate whereas Age of Steam has them combined into one track.

I prefer Age of Steam.

You need a stock holding game like Imperial or Chicago Express. Your war game collection is also pretty weak. Check out Paths of Glory. Ra and Metropolys are great auction games. Planet Steam is a good commodity speculation game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpl wrote:
War:
- Axis & Allies: 1942
- Twilight Struggle CE (once the Kickstarter fulfills)

Your wargames aren't really, y'know, wargames (not that they're bad games).

My first wargame was A House Divided, and I think it's an excellent start. It's easy to play and learn, widely available, and inexpensive.

Then you need a block game. Hammer of the Scots is a standard recommendation, but I'd go with whatever Columbia game you think has the most interesting theme. My personal favorites are Julius Caesar and Napoleon at Waterloo.

Finally, you need a CDG. Twilight Struggle is an excellent CDG, but you're not moving armies around or anything like that. I'd strongly recommend Washington's War as an introductory CDG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I think about the quest for the perfect "well-rounded" collection, I get a headache.

There are a lot of different mechanics, some that are close cousins to each other; some that are essentially the same but 'with a twist'. And some games have multiple mechanics incorporated into them. How much overlap do we allow? If we enjoy a particular mechanic, should we get more than 1 game with that core mechanic? What if that mechanic is secondary?

On and on it goes. Off top of my head (I'm SURE I've missed some basic ones) I can think of the following:

Tile-laying, area-control/enclosure, worker placement, cooperative, semi-cooperative, role/character-selection, hidden-role selection, bluffing, social-deduction, traitor, negotiation, bidding/auction, set-collecting, economic, market manipulation, route-connecting, pickup & deliver, rondel, engine/tableaux-building, building, drafting, deck-building, dice-rolling, dice-action, action-selection, simultaneous action-selection, action-allowance, push-your-luck, dudes/cubes/blocks on a map, hand/resource-management, 4X, civ, dexterity, CDG's, roll & move, real-time games, racing games, micro-games, party games, abstracts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance: Avalon should be mandatory for a small party game, in my opinion. It's substantially different than Coup in terms of deduction, which you already have.

7 Wonders or Fairy Tale, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.