Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Guessing at Leebo's pilot ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Ok here's my guess for Leebo's pilot ability when he's behind the stick of a YT-2400:

"Immediately discard any stress token assigned to this ship"
A pretty sweet ability, but he is a droid, right? Why would he get stressed just because he pulled three dangerous maneuvers in a row?

If this is too OP I could also see these variations:
"During the activation phase you may ignore one stress tokens assigned to your ship (you may not reveal a red maneuver if stressed)".
This would restrict him a little more and still require him to dump stress sometimes if he is using PTL or something that he can't do if he has a stress token (he could still do it if he only had one).

"During the end phase remove any stress tokens assigned to this ship"
This would allow him to do red maneuvers back to back or after getting stressed by Mara Jade or pushing the limit, but it would prevent him from performing actions immediately after red maneuvers, presumably because the red maneuver still required extra concentration, even though it wasn't actually stressful for him.

Just some quick thoughts. I Can't wait to fly Solo, Katarn, and Rendar side by side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something like...
"When you reveal a maneuver, you may remove 1 shield token to remove all stress tokens."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Zyankalium wrote:
"When you reveal a maneuver, you may remove 1 shield token to remove all stress tokens."

Not sure I would ever want to use that ability. Maybe if it was "At the end of the activation phase you may discard a shield token to remove all stress tokens, then perform a free action." Even then, that action would need to be getting me out of two or more firing arcs before I would trade a shield for it...

A couple other wordings I thought of:
"Once per round, when you are assigned a stress token, immediately discard it." This way if he gets more than one stress per round he will need to start doing greens like everyone else.

"You may treat all white maneuvers as green maneuvers and all red maneuvers as white maneuvers." He still gets stressed from actions and enemies, but it's relatively easy for him to deal with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zyankalium wrote:

Ouch, no way would anyone want to take a damage essentially to remove stress. And to not be able to use it when you have no shields?

I do agree that it would make sense to have it do things involving stress because it's a droid, but taking actions while stressed makes him too much like Tycho. Maybe he can do red maneuvers while stressed? (Kind of opposite of Tycho?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that stress mitigation makes sense thematically on a droid.

However, considering the importance of stress (especially with all the new cards like Flechette, Tactician, R3-A2, Mara, etc.), I think a stress removal ability would have to be costed appropriately high. We know Dash is already 36 points and can assume Leebo will be less...

So, if it is a stress ability, I think we're on the right track with an exchange or drawback included in the text.

Just a thought. Cheers.
Michael Sweat wrote:
I Can't wait to fly Solo, Katarn, and Rendar side by side.

103 points with no upgrades! Oh, no!

Well, you could use the crew versions, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallador wrote:
Michael Sweat wrote:

If you did, it would be EPIC.

(see what I did there?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
Zyankalium wrote:

Ouch, no way would anyone want to take a damage essentially to remove stress. And to not be able to use it when you have no shields?

I do agree that it would make sense to have it do things involving stress because it's a droid, but taking actions while stressed makes him too much like Tycho. Maybe he can do red maneuvers while stressed? (Kind of opposite of Tycho?)

Doesn't Porkins do exactly that- trade possible damage to remove stress? (Also, Porkins with Expert Handling is really fun to fly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Vallador wrote:
Michael Sweat wrote:

If you did, it would be EPIC.

(see what I did there?)

yes saw what you did there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
monkeykins wrote:

Doesn't Porkins do exactly that- trade possible damage to remove stress? (Also, Porkins with Expert Handling is really fun to fly)

Porkins takes a 50/50 chance of getting damage to remove stress which is WAY different from giving away a shield every time to remove it. He is also one of eight unique pilots for a less expensive ship, not one of only three unique pilots for a ship that will be considerably more expensive (especially if you put a few of the suggested upgrades on it). Maybe if you could still do it for free once your shields were gone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Porkins damage also goes directly to his hull bypassing shields, which is worse than loosing a shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Porkins damage also goes directly to his hull bypassing shields, which is worse than loosing a shield.

It is; but it's the 50-50 chance of not taking the damage in the first place that make peoplpe willing to use it.

Leebo taking less stress makes sense, but not no stress - the mechanic is describing not just the limit of the pilot, but also the limits of the ship.

What about something like "When an [EPT] Upgrade attached to your ship gives you a stress, immediately discard it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "During the end step you may assign an ion token to this ship to discard all stress tokens"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All this is assuming stress is only affecting the pilot. Stress could also be structural. Maybe he just gets to roll after a red move to see if he/it avoided stressing the ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
While I'm at it I have a guess/Wish for Leebo's Crew Upgrade:

"At the end of the activation Phase, choose a friendly ship at range 1-2 with an [Astromech] or [System] Upgrade equipped. That ship may perform one free action." Cost-3. I like the Idea of Leebo interfacing with another ships droid or systems to help them out.

Also I came up with a crew card for Dash Rendar as well:

"When attacking with a primary or secondary weapon that is able to target ships outside your firing arc, you may roll one additional attack dice." Cost-6. This basically reflects the fact that Rendar spends a lot of time in the gunners seat of the outrider and is a crack shot with turrets. He would improve the YT-2400's primary weapon while Leebo was piloting, which was the arrangement through most of Shadows of the Empire, and for a whopping 18 extra points he would make the Outrider with HLC a pretty serious foe. He could also help out in a HWK-290 or Y-Wing (eventually) with their Ion and Blaster turrets. He'd make a nice addition to the Falcon as well. You could also consider adding a range 2-3 limit to the card to tone it down just a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.