Shadows Upon Lassadar: Sorrow of Salilth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it me ? Is it the game ? Is it the rulebook ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I tried to learn this game but did not manage to "get it working".

I'm really sad because I feel there is great potential, I really love the map with different corruption values, the stacking of units looks like a fun and tactical way to go through the game and I really want to make this game work for me.

Here are some questions and thought about it, if you do manage to play the game, please help me :-)

1) Regarding the nomograph, when the rule "falls" between two values, which one do you choose ? I suppose that between 1 and 2 should be seen as a 1 but am not sure.

2) Still regarding the nomograph, I guess that extreme values are extreme. For example, it's not possible for the Grayking to add more than 3 dice to his base combat dice.

3) The Wardens player starts with all his units in the citadel (4 hexes, 4 piles of units, one pile of Hands, one pile of Arms, on pile of Minds and one pile of Elders). The rule say that during the movement phase, you have to move the units closer to the citadel first. For the Wardens player this has no effect on his first round but, let's say I have splitted my Arms pile on my first turn and one of the halves has exited the citadel, on the next turn, the rest of the pile will be splitted again and moved onto that previously moved pile. This means that it's hard for the Wardens player to spread on the map. Maybe this "move the units closer to the citadel first" should only apply to the Grayking ?

4) When playing solo, the AI rule say that you should try to maintain the biggest possible stacks, each stack starts with 6 units and so is splitted in 2 on the first round then the stacks of 3 units will stay like that until battle, right ?

5) Looking at the nomograph, it's not possible to deal more than 1 damage to a pile with 8+ spirit. That being said, a pile of units with an Ymp and 2 other small units is invincible (even if we reduce the Ymp spirit to 4 as suggested in another thread). In the same way, a pile with an Elder or a Mind and 1 or 2 Arms or Hands is invincible.

6) If we follow the rule variation suggested by bichatse on the other thread saying that the looser of a combat always remove at least one unit, event if that mean losing more spirit than the nomograph says then that previous example is solved but then the solo AI have to be modified because the Warden player just has to keep "big piles" of units and he will never lose a combat.

Edit: corrected questions numbering to match todd's answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will try and see what i can do to clear things up for you this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finally some time freed up in my schedule to answer your questions. sorry it took me a few days.

the numbering of your questions is out of order so i am going to answer them as they occur in list order.

1. you will always read the value above any line so a line between 1 and 2 on Table C would be a "2"

2. 4 dice would be the maximum, 1 die would be the minimum

3. This might be a translation issue for you. you do not move units towards the Citadel (i.e. moving "closer" to the Citadel)

instead the units 'closest' (those with the the shortest distance currently near the Citadel) to the Citadel move first in whatever direction you choose them to move. In the solo variant you will move for the Grayking and move his counters aways towards the Citadel

4. No there is no rule about maintain big stacks. Just when there are more than 4 stacks, always split the stacks with the biggest strength first. Yes you are right that in the first turn all of the Grayking stacks will be split in half. Depending on later movement, two different stacks may come back together.

5. this may again be the way you are reading the tables, always read above the line.

6. see if reading the tables changes your mind here

hope this helps you Ghislain. i can understand why the game may not have worked for you playing as you were.

let me know if you have any other questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1, 2, 5) Ok, always read the value that is above the nomograph. Maybe you should add that somewhere in the rules.

3) I understood correctly this rule (move closest first) but I confirm that for the Wardens player, it means that the second half of the pile stacks on the first half during the second turn :

- first turn start you have 8 tokens on a citadel hex, one half moves
- first turn end you have 4 tokens on the citadel hex and 4 one hex away
- second turn, you have to move the pile that is closest to the citadel first so you move two tokens on the 4 previously moved
- second turn end, you have 2 tokens on the citadel hex and 6 one hex away

It's not a big deal but if you could have moved the units that were one hex away from the citadel first, it would have speed up the "deployment"

6) I'll try it again (maybe tonight) and I'll let you know

Thank you for the answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.