Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris [REDACTED]
United States
Arkham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question to you guys is this:

Do you mix your storage solutions? Inserts and boxes and baggies and planos and so on? All the threads I see on foamcore inserts shows pure foamcore, and nothing else. Do you go crazy making foamcore trays? Do you just bag everything and call it a day?

I'm working on my second foamcore insert. My first, for King of Tokyo, was a simple chambered deal with the cards in an Ultra Pro deck box in one of the chambers. No baggies! Yay!

Now I'm working on one for Lords of Waterdeep, plus the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion. I originally planned to make it a foamcore-only insert, with little trays for the cubes, coins, and player tokens.

But then I discovered Really Useful Boxes.

The smallest size (0.07 liter) is just about perfect for two sets of cubes, and the next size up (0.14L) fits everything else. I use these boxes for my foamcore-insert-less copy of Eldritch Horror, and being able to put the boxes on the table means that setup and take-down is painless. (I cheat and put the cards into baggies) They're cheap, close securely, have removable lids, and can be readily found at Office Depot.

So for LoW, I want to make chambers to hold the bulding tiles and cards (no baggies!), but I want to use boxes for the cubes and coins. Also, I'm bagging the player pieces by color. It didn't make sense to use more boxes or craft trays when baggies can be handed out to the players.

In the end, it'll be a hybrid insert, but I think it's efficient and functional. I haven't finished it yet, so I can't say if it'll be pretty or not. I just don't know if constructing tiny foamcore trays (and measuring them just so in order to make them removable) is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having things separated/sorted is important. Just as important is ready access to the separated and sorted items. Also, keeping the separated and sorted parts in their containers.

For these three roles, I've found zip-lock-type baggies alone to be the best solution. They're economical (and easily replaced, if necessary). They're pliable. They offer easy-access to their contents. They keep contents contained and contents can be tipped out.

Without a lid to keep the contents contained, bits eventually slip out of trays. Plano boxes, while excellent for sorting and containing, usually have small bins that are a pain for my adult fingers to quickly pull pieces from. Putting pieces away is also time-consuming. With baggies, I can push parts into a pile and sweep them into the bag. And once in the game box, baggies shift and conform to the available interior space without damage to the parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

Plano boxes, while excellent for sorting and containing, usually have small bins that are a pain for my adult fingers to quickly pull pieces from.

Really Useful Boxes solve this problem, though - the 0.07l box is about 5x8x2.5cm, so it's large enough to get your fingers into and/or sweep components into, but small enough to not take up unnecessary amounts of space, and it stacks well.

I keep each player's agents, score marker, 100-VP token and ownership tokens for Lords of Waterdeep in a 0.07l RUB, which means I can just hand each player a box at the start of the game and they can take bits out of it as and when they need them. I'm seriously considering a foamcore insert for the game to keep all the cards and so on organised, but if and when I do there's no way I'm giving up the little RUBs.

(I also use RUBs for each of the adventurer types, the money and the VPs, but I also bought the laser-cut DnDeeples, so they take up more space than cubes would. With the RUBs, though, I can just take the lid off of each box, stack it under the box, and leave them beside the board for players to take resources from when necessary.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arguably I'm a bit biased (I'm the "colored baggie guy"), but even before colored baggies I have always preferred player components to be in one baggie per player whenever possible. Other components I'm great with a mix of baggies, Plano, foam-core etc. Usually it is a hybrid, for example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollie Olson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually run foamcore for all the bits. Make removable bins so I can pull tham out of the box and use them as organization on the table. This helps reduce set up. However I will bag the different player pieces in individual color bags, so I can just toss the bag at someone and they can pull all of thier individual peices out themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In an ideal world I would make everything out of foam core, but it takes me so long that sometimes it's just easier to have some bag supplements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I like plastic boxes so much better than resealable bags.

It is no slower to get them open, but so much easier to keep organized and reach for the components in a plastic box than in a plastic bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris [REDACTED]
United States
Arkham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Here's the completed insert:

The middle part holds the player mats and the mini boards from Scoundrels, keeping them in the middle. Game board fits on top (like a glove, I might add).

It doesn't have the visual pizzazz of an entirely foamcore setup, but it'll be faster to set up and start playing. And that's the important thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's a mix! Foamcore, boxes, baggies... what have you.

Lately, I've begun making up labelled baggies of "all the bits each player receives" (an amazing amount of material for Eclipse!) and then sorting the rest as needed/used.

While I love to do this too, at the same time I prefer to do it "in context" so that materials are accessed in a manner that reflects the way they are used... so if two types of counters are always used together or in sequence, and they are unique shapes, I may choose to bag them together.

A side benefit of this is that if the bag has a label that identifies all of its contents, new players are much quicker to catch on to the names of these unfamiliar items. Makes setup and learning easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hunt
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
I've begun making up labelled baggies of "all the bits each player receives" (an amazing amount of material for Eclipse!)

For eclipse I use a system of 3 zip-bags for player stuff.

1 Small bag - ~3"x4" contains all the cubes, disks, resource markers, colony ships, diplomat tokens and pass-card for each player.\

1 Small bag - ~3"x4" contains all the standard ships from the base game

1 Sandwich-sized bag - contains the above 2 bags + the ship-pack ship units which we use for non-human races. (These ships tend to be bulkier than the base-pack ships - especially the black ones...)

I also built a foam-core tray to hold all the map hexes - since with all the x-packs I have, there are many. I can't fit it all into one box, but I use the Ship-pack box for the player markers and the base-game box for the rest of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Estep
United States
Morehead
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
LexiCon ... April 20-22, Lexington, KY www.lexicongaming.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate baggies and try to avoid them. I generally just go with whatever works.

Mostly I try to find containers that just fit in the box.

Michael's carries a box (similar to Plano, but another brand) that they sell for bead storage. Each section has a curved bottom which makes getting small pieces out much easier. I use one of these for games with lots of small bits.

I'm also a fan of the round stacking containers. I don't know what they're actually called, but the top one has a lid that screws on and the ones under it screw into the top one. They come in three sizes. The small ones are generally too small for most things you will want them for, but the medium sized and large ones work pretty well.

If I remember correctly, I am using the large ones for Lords of Waterdeep. There is one for each player that contains all of the meeples and markers for their buildings. Then there is one for each of the four cubes, one for gold, and one for VP counters. I think I also added one that contains the two special meeples and a d20 (so we can randomly choose who goes first).

Cards always go in some sort of box. I often use MTG boxes that get discarded at the FLGS, but lately I've started using the hinged plastic boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.