tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regan seemed like a nice enough fellow, just don't let him handle your finances.

Bush senior was smart enough to keep us from destabilizing Iraq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Kennedy was probably the recent president we had that currently holds higher than fifty percent approval.

I don't think that's a bad thing. Except in that I think kennedy doesn't even slightly deserve it. All the others since then don't deserve it either.
It helps he was assassinated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Well, perhaps LBJ deserves it, but he is really under appreciated
Yes, it's not like his administration is noted for any major foul ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
IMHO "liked" is a poor choice of word for this discussion.

Any given Pres is dealing with so many issues even his most ardent supporters have plenty of issues to find fault. Major fault.

"Respected" would be better. Perhaps another word is better yet.

Of presidents since 1960, not counting Obama, Carter was not respected by a majority, although he was a likable klutz. At the end Nixon was despised by a everyone. Ford? Ford made one extremely unpopular move. He pardoned Nixon. I think history has judged this move correct but the like/respect issue AT THE TIME probably tilted to the negative.

I think the rest were mostly respected.

I would agree about Reagan, Papa Bush and Clinton being respected. I think Dubya was lacking on the respect factor since it seemed like Cheney and others were really running the show. With Obama, I would say it is more split along party lines, but we are getting more liberals who are unhappy with his inability to govern. Where that falls on the like/respect scale I will let you judge for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
Shushnik wrote:
Well, perhaps LBJ deserves it, but he is really under appreciated

And hoping he gets less so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
jimbrax wrote:
Thanks for the replies and insights. I was a little surprised to see Bush II seems to be ranked above Clinton. I always thought Clinton came across as a real statesman (prior to the Lewinksy debacle) and Bush as a bit of a laughing stock but that may just be the limited media portrayal outside of the US that I saw.

No, you're spot on. It takes a distorted reality to think GWB is respected or thought of as independent of his puppet masters by the general public. Koldfoot just happens to have such a reality.

This is actually a pretty good read about the relationship between Bush and Cheney. I haven't read the book it excerpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
jimbrax wrote:
Thanks for the replies and insights. I was a little surprised to see Bush II seems to be ranked above Clinton. I always thought Clinton came across as a real statesman (prior to the Lewinksy debacle) and Bush as a bit of a laughing stock but that may just be the limited media portrayal outside of the US that I saw.

No, you're spot on. It takes a distorted reality to think GWB is respected or thought of as independent of his puppet masters by the general public. Koldfoot just happens to have such a reality.

This is actually a pretty good read about the relationship between Bush and Cheney. I haven't read the book it excerpts.

I'm not sure the general opinion is that Bush was a powerless puppet, only that (from the article you linked):

Quote:
He pressed, and even badgered, an inexperienced president to go after Saddam Hussein in Iraq over any reservations Bush might have harbored. “Are you going to take care of this guy or not?” Cheney demanded impatiently at one of their private lunches.

For all that, Cheney was largely pushing on an open door, taking Bush where the president himself was already inclined to go.

...that would have been my impression. But I think it's bad enough. All of us have decisions to make, whether to do one thing or another, and Cheney's role appears to many to be the 'devil on the shoulder' of Bush, convincing him to lean in a direction that an 'angel on the shoulder' would have had him tread away from.

I think Bush I was a competent President, who I disagreed with on a number of issues, but certainly could respect...and Bush II *could* have been even a greater President. However, he chose his consul poorly, as while I wouldn't call Cheney a "puppetmaster"...he certainly did not engage the 'better angels of our nature' with Bush II, but quite the contrary.

For the record, I tend to think the greatest President of *my* lifetime has been Clinton, for sheer statesmanship, although he certainly made some whoppers of a mistake (not so much personally, but allowing the repeal of Glass–Steagall was a MASSIVE failure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Eisenhower would be the closest to this ideal in post World War II history.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.