Cinque Terre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Huge scores in 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got close to two hundred, which makes me wonder whether we're doing something wrong. I gave myself points when:

- I sold produce at a village (either the die value or 1 if no die there)
- I completed an order card
- I got a 'village' card

On top of this we read the fifth-produce-card-claimed game-end condition as five cards claimed in total ACROSS BOTH PLAYERS (i.e. she had two and I had three). If we'd gone with a single person needing five cards the scores would have gone even higher.

In fact I am not at all sure that the correct reading of the rules really is that a single person needs five produce order cards to trigger the end game. It also mentions possession of five village cards/tiles, but in that case it's highly unlikely that a single player can manage that as there are only five of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hang on... Is it the case that a single player needs five cards as follows:

- Five produce order cards (not secret)
- Five village cards
- A combination of both village cards and produce order cards, adding up to five total (e.g. three village cards and two order cards)?

We'd still get massive scores...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inuitmyth909 wrote:
Oh hang on... Is it the case that a single player needs five cards as follows:

- Five produce order cards (not secret)
- Five village cards
- A combination of both village cards and produce order cards, adding up to five total (e.g. three village cards and two order cards)?

We'd still get massive scores...

The third case (combination of the two) is correct. At risk of suggesting the obvious, did you reduce the number of cubes of each color to 13? And did you remember that depleting two fields also triggers the endgame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each produce card usually requires 2 or 3 fruit (2 to 18 points when selling, plus the card usually 9 to 16). So 11 to 34 per card times five cards is maximum about 160 points. Add in some deliveries not associated with cards (delivering for 6 points per cube) or some secret cards, plus the starting card usually (15 to 25 points).

It is easy to get a high scoring result 150+.

Not sure if you did something wrong. It seems impossible to score 200 points by completing only three cards plus the starting card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just so happens that I have relevant data that I recorded. It was a new game that arrived during a very cold winter and there was uncommon repetition.

Thirty-one sessions, 2-player. We each averaged in the low-150s. 180s and 190s exist but only a single instance above 200. A few scores below 100.

It's not the topic at hand, but I am saddened to report that while mathematically there was less than a point difference in the averages my win-rate consistently hung in the 40% range.
(and quantifying that frustrating trend had been the motivation for playing with spreadsheet software in the first place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The third case (combination of the two) is correct. At risk of suggesting the obvious, did you reduce the number of cubes of each color to 13? And did you remember that depleting two fields also triggers the endgame?

Thanks for responding, and yes and yes : )

My final score was 178. I got three 'open' produce orders, three secret ones (in my hand), the starting order of a value 30 minus only 5 as none of the items on the order had dice at the villages (so I had a 25 point completed starter), and I sold a shedload of funghi at a village where it was going for 6 per cube over the course of the game.

Maybe it was just a perfect storm of scoring opportunities for me. Looking forward to playing again tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.