Subject: A couple more questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
United States
Unspecified
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm really getting into this game and I'm getting ready to introduce it to my extended family at the beach house next week. I want to make sure I have my act together:

1) I understand that an opponent can build a settlement on my longest road to chop it up and cause me to lose those two VP. My question has to do with that orphaned section of road. Say if I started out with a settlement that was on the tail end of five roads like this:

S-R-R-R-R-R

Then your opponent comes in and builds settlement X:

S-R-R-R-X-R-R

Can I still build roads and settlements off of those two road pieces on the right of the X?

2) If it is my turn and I am holding 8+ resource cards, can I trade or build before I roll to get my # down, or is the first thing I HAVE to do is roll the dice? I think I always have to roll first but I want to make sure.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coxdds wrote:
I'm really getting into this game and I'm getting ready to introduce it to my extended family at the beach house next week. I want to make sure I have my act together:

1) I understand that an opponent can build a settlement on my longest road to chop it up and cause me to lose those two VP. My question has to do with that orphaned section of road. Say if I started out with a settlement that was on the tail end of five roads like this:

S-R-R-R-R-R

Then your opponent comes in and builds settlement X:

S-R-R-R-X-R-R

Can I still build roads and settlements off of those two road pieces on the right of the X?

You sure can (as long as you follow the usual rules about proximity to other settlements/cities, of course).

Quote:

2) If it is my turn and I am holding 8+ resource cards, can I trade or build before I roll to get my # down, or is the first thing I HAVE to do is roll the dice? I think I always have to roll first but I want to make sure.

You must roll first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
millsyboy wrote:
coxdds wrote:

You must roll first.

This is definitely true in the 3-4 player game. If you're playing with the 5-6 player expansion, you're allowed to build (but not trade) in between turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and [I think you know this] you cannot build directly off of the X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coxdds wrote:

Thanks

The only thing you can do before rolling the dice is to play development cards (most typically a soldier to move the robber before you roll.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcv jcv
msg tools
Eh what!? Aren't you supposed to play dev cards in your turn... after you roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr-WhoopAss is correct, you can play a development card before your roll.

From the rules (emphasis added):

Quote:
You may only play 1 Development Card during your turn— either 1 Knight Card or 1 Progress Card. You can play the card at any time, even before you roll the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johns
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
WBRP wrote:
...and [I think you know this] you cannot build directly off of the X.

In the scenario described, there isn't anywhere left to build off it, since there are already roads coming off it all three ways (two of yours, one of your opponent's).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcvjcvjcvjcv wrote:
Eh what!? Aren't you supposed to play dev cards in your turn... after you roll?
millsyboy wrote:

From the rules (emphasis added):

Quote:
You may only play 1 Development Card during your turn— either 1 Knight Card or 1 Progress Card. You can play the card at any time, even before you roll the dice.

I learned something, but I think I remember why I would have forgotten it.

I knew you could play a Knight before rolling. Playing a Knight before your roll can be quite handy, such as when there is a Robber camped out on one of your tiles. You can move the Robber, then roll the die and potentially get resources from the formerly blocked Hex.

The reason I blocked out play _any_ development card was because there is little/no gain to playing the others before rolling.

2 Roads: Doesn't affect anything played before or after. Rolling a 7 or not, gaining resources or not, you can still get those same 2 roads.

Year of Plenty: You get to take any 2 Resource cards. There are 2 potentially bad results if played before rolling. You might roll the correct number and get the resources you 'needed', and now might have been better off grabbing 2 different cards. OR you just rolled a Robber, and either have to discard 1 more card, or now have to discard _at all_.

Monopoly: Strictly better off waiting until after roll. The first is the same as year of Plenty, as you may now be 'robber bait' and lose your haul. The second is just common sense, if you DON'T roll the Robber, then the other players have more cards. More cards means more you can steal. For the especially evil, more cards also means being able to Trade with them first, and then Monopoly all the stuff you gave them right back to yourself.

So while you can play ANY Development card before rolling, you are better off only playing Knights before the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.