Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there!

I've just build a heavy weapon for the first time, a MECH. Since it was in the force pool I've payed the normal price plus one BP. What happens if it dies and I produce it again? Do I pay 5 or 6 BP?

Thank you!
Matteo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll cost 6 every time you build it. Heavies are always one point more expensive than their "diet" equivalents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I thought you only paid the extra price to replace the counter. Understood.
Another question: can you build the light version of the unit after you built the heavy version once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teobius wrote:
Ok. I thought you only paid the extra price to replace the counter. Understood.
Another question: can you build the light version of the unit after you built the heavy version once?

I think it is pretty clearly 'no'. Here is the language in 22.4.17, Heavy Weapon Units:

Heavy weapons units replace the World in Flames units that have the same designation

So the unit is replaced

Once a heavy weapons unit becomes available, you may remove its WiF unit from the game in any production step and replace it with its equivalent heavy weapons unit.

So the regular Wiffe unit is removed fromthe game

and finally

When you replace a WiF unit with its heavy weapons type, the WiF unit is permanently removed from the game.

So the regular light unit is gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... The answer was in the rules but I don't have them here, sorry about that.
It's a strange rule, imo. Why shouldn't you be able to equip your new corps with lighter weaponry if you don't have the required production for a heavier one?

Anyway. It's the first time we play with HW, and I must say I like the idea. When Russia has tons of troops and Germany must retreat to shorten the front, a bunch of very strong units may make the difference... I hope :)

Thanks for your reply, Bruce!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teobius wrote:
Ok... The answer was in the rules but I don't have them here, sorry about that.
It's a strange rule, imo. Why shouldn't you be able to equip your new corps with lighter weaponry if you don't have the required production for a heavier one?

Anyway. It's the first time we play with HW, and I must say I like the idea. When Russia has tons of troops and Germany must retreat to shorten the front, a bunch of very strong units may make the difference... I hope

Thanks for your reply, Bruce!

You had a bunch of PzII's you got rid of them upgrading to PZ IV or Vs. How do you go back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teobius wrote:

Anyway. It's the first time we play with HW, and I must say I like the idea. When Russia has tons of troops and Germany must retreat to shorten the front, a bunch of very strong units may make the difference... I hope

Personally, I hate heavies. Played them ONCE and never again. It's a big pain in the butt to have to search all over Europe for the German XLIV infantry so you can remove it and replace it with the heavy German XLIV infantry. And to do that over and over and over.

Humbug, I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
teobius wrote:

Personally, I hate heavies. Played them ONCE and never again. It's a big pain in the butt to have to search all over Europe for the German XLIV infantry so you can remove it and replace it with the heavy German XLIV infantry. And to do that over and over and over.

Humbug, I say!

Interesting you feel that way, it is exactly my view also! I don't think they are worth the trouble unless you are planning a merge with post 1945-PiF type game (where they are important).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tut tut, a good general always knows where the 1 GD MECH is hiding..

Actually, we usually play with heavies and they only seem to impact on the USSR and Germany (CW/US is usually fairly light on numbers of units and can either replace them in the force pools or not worry about them unduly - in our current game, the only people regularly building heavies on map apart from the Sov/Ger are the Communist Chinese, and only because they have run out of anything else to build). I personally think that heavies balance out the late war eastern front a bit more - strengthening the individual soviet units in relation to the wehrmacht seems a better reflection of the real world scenario. However - we dont play with GBA. I suspect that GBA both provides this qualitative balancing mechanism and is also easier to administer (for those who dont want to hunt through the entire eastern front for the 1GD MECH). Maybe we'll try GBA next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jes Nogger wrote:
However - we dont play with GBA. I suspect that GBA both provides this qualitative balancing mechanism and is also easier to administer (for those who dont want to hunt through the entire eastern front for the 1GD MECH). Maybe we'll try GBA next time.

You SHOULD play with GBA. They are a great optional rule, and they help the Soviets beef up for the late-war counteroffensive. I always use them, whether I'm Axis or Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we play via Vassal, it's easier for us to spot a unit.
And as Germany, I don't mean to replace every single unit. I only plan to replace the MECHs and ARMs with their heavy weapons counterparts, and only when they are in the force pool. The INFs HW are only 2 points stronger than their vanilla version and they are 10- strenght. I'm not sure they're worth the cost. Having MECHs and ARMs provide a 3 points boost, instead, and with 12-15 strenght they can be very valuable to defend soft spots and to counterattack against Russia and in France, now that we're heading into 1943.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:

You had a bunch of PzII's you got rid of them upgrading to PZ IV or Vs. How do you go back?

Well, supposedly those panzers have been destroyed. You have to rebuild the unit from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that we're playing with this option from the 2008 Annual:

Quote:
Upgrading Heavy Weapons Units (WiF 22.4.17)
It only costs one build point extra to build heavy units that cost 4
build points or less (and just one build point to upgrade in the
field). When these units are destroyed, they cost the same as
non-heavy units of their type to rebuild.

In the back of my mind I knew I had red something like this. So, if I upgrade a MOT, I don't have to pay the extra cost the second and subsequent times I build it. Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.