GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,434 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do we have time to play again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that sweet moment when someone gets it? When they suddenly go from "this is kind of weird" to "this is fun"? That happened last night.

My mom's always been pretty indifferent to board games. She'll play Spades until the cows come home and doesn't mind Scrabble, but she'll sit out on just about everything else. She's played Carcasonne (confusing) and Takenoko (hard and confusing) and she's tried to be a good sport, but board games just weren't for her. Until last night.

We were celebrating her birthday and she asked us to bring over some board games that "she could play", mostly for my husband's sake (long story) than because she really wanted to play. So we brought over Love Letter, Takenoko, Munchkin, and Carcasonne. We opted to play Carcasonne because my parents had played it before.

And then, after we finished the game...

"Do we have time to play again?"

My mom neverwants to play again. She got it. She loved it. She's talking about how she's going to beat us at the next game of Carcasonne.

Just wanted to share. We were so excited last night that my mom finally "got" it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did she find out that you can take over someone else's cities? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Had the same moment with my wife and Ticket to Ride. She would play other games with me (mostly Castle Panic and Dungeon Roll) and would make an effort to enjoy them, but I could always tell it was for my sake and that she wouldn't otherwise be interested. Then one night I decided I would try Ticket to Ride and something just clicked. We played 4 times that night b/c she kept wanting to try again, and even now frequently asks to play. It's a good feeling when someone important to you takes an interest in some thing that is important to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Did she find out that you can take over someone else's cities? devil

Haha yes! I tried to get into her big city twice and twice she twarted me, and then the next game she tried to encroach onto my dad's city (and was thwarted). She really got into the game.

She's still working out how the farmers work, but it was awesome to see her really playing, not just matching tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:
You know that sweet moment when someone gets it? When they suddenly go from "this is kind of weird" to "this is fun"? That happened last night.

My mom's always been pretty indifferent to board games. She'll play Spades until the cows come home and doesn't mind Scrabble, but she'll sit out on just about everything else. She's played Carcasonne (confusing) and Takenoko (hard and confusing) and she's tried to be a good sport, but board games just weren't for her. Until last night.

We were celebrating her birthday and she asked us to bring over some board games that "she could play", mostly for my husband's sake (long story) than because she really wanted to play. So we brought over Love Letter, Takenoko, Munchkin, and Carcasonne. We opted to play Carcasonne because my parents had played it before.

And then, after we finished the game...

"Do we have time to play again?"

My mom neverwants to play again. She got it. She loved it. She's talking about how she's going to beat us at the next game of Carcasonne.

Just wanted to share. We were so excited last night that my mom finally "got" it.

I had a thought when it comes to teaching your games. Do you go over all the rules BEFORE you start playing. I've found that often times, non-gamers are much more willing to "learn as you go".

If you haven't tried this approach, I recommend teaching just enough to go through one turn, each turn add another option or something. Bare bones type of stuff that gets the game playing, but not everything as far as all of the rules subtleties or beginning tactics or things to think about during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.