Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in Forcibly Removed and Clover Club Deck from the Dreamlands cycle, buy I know these haven't been reprinted in the new format yet. Does anyone know if both of these are 3x or 1x in the old packs?

I ask because I'm making a Syndicate-Yog deck, and I need a way of dealing with Initiate of Huang Hun (which my friend is using in his deck). The two above cards and Eltdown Shards seem like good ways of getting Initiate out of his hand. Any thought on this (or other methods) of dealing with the Initiate within Syndicate and Yog?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KirovThug wrote:
I'm interested in Forcibly Removed and Clover Club Deck from the Dreamlands cycle, buy I know these haven't been reprinted in the new format yet. Does anyone know if both of these are 3x or 1x in the old packs?
Both are 1x.
KirovThug wrote:
Any thought on this (or other methods) of dealing with the Initiate within Syndicate and Yog?
The single best defense is 'Dreamlands Fanatic', which is unfortunately also a card from the Dreamlands cycle, but at least it was 3x.

Note, that there's no problem using the card in a Syndicate/Yog deck, since it effects causes it to be put into play, so you don't need a resource match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Conlon
Australia
Berowra
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
jhaelen wrote:
KirovThug wrote:
Any thought on this (or other methods) of dealing with the Initiate within Syndicate and Yog?
The single best defense is 'Dreamlands Fanatic', which is unfortunately also a card from the Dreamlands cycle, but at least it was 3x.

If you were running Miskatonic then I'd say the best answer is Matthew Alexander from the Seekers of Knowledge deluxe set (which is in print), as he works repeatedly.
In Syndicate you can use Lookout to blank (and exhaust) Initiate as soon as it enters play before he can trigger his own Response and bounce.
In general, just making sure you have cheap characters might help, as bouncing and then replaying them isn't too costly; or if you have cards with "enters play" abilities like Hard Case or Many-angled Thing then bouncing them means you get to re-use their ability when re-played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find as you gain experience that Initiate is no longer a big problem. You get to choose who gets bounced, so you can always choose the most advantageous characters (cheap, wounded/insane/Fated, with enters-play ability, already exhausted, etc...)

The main situation where he is problematic is when your opponent already has a lead in board presence and you have only a few characters out. In this case, you're already losing. Initiate is sealing the deal, but he didn't cause the problem.

Anyway, if you include a couple characters with a good enters-play ability and make sure you have at a few cost-1 guys that won't be a big inconvenience to be bumped back to hand that will deter him pretty well without having to look for specific counter cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having characters with "enters play" effects is certainly useful. These would include (in order of increasing cost) Thief for Hire, Hard Case, Extortionist, Syndicate Liaison, Many-Angled Thing, Hermetic Scholar, Constricting Elder Thing, and Elder Thing.

But it's also good in this case to have characters with "leaves play" effects, like Wentshukimishiteu!

Finally, I believe that a ready Lookout is proof positive against Initiate of Huang Hun. The sequence goes like this for players A and B:

A plays Initiate of Huang Hun. Since the Initiate's ability is a Response, B gets an opportunity to respond first.
B exhausts Lookout to exhaust the Initiate and blank his text for the remainder of the phase, after which the response window has closed.

You could use Richard Upton Pickman, Scholar from Yith, or the Bound and Gagged event in similar ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bun Sham
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Finally, I believe that a ready Lookout is proof positive against Initiate of Huang Hun. The sequence goes like this for players A and B:

A plays Initiate of Huang Hun. Since the Initiate's ability is a Response, B gets an opportunity to respond first.
B exhausts Lookout to exhaust the Initiate and blank his text for the remainder of the phase, after which the response window has closed.

I recently started learning and playing the game, so I am not very familiar with the sequence of the action window.

According to the rule book, "Any number of responses can be played in response to any occurrence that allows them to trigger, with response opportunities passing back and forth between players, starting with the active player."

So if A plays Initiate of Huang Hun, A should get the 1st priority to response? That means, Initiate of Huang Hun's response will occur first, before B can use Lookout to stop it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
ammms wrote:
Lookout
Response: After a character enters play, exhaust Lookout to exhaust that character. Until the end of the phase, treat that character as if its text box was blank.

Initiate of Huang Hun
Response: After Initiate of Huang Hun enters play, each player returns a character he control to its owner's hand if able.

Page 22 - FAQ v4.2
Any number of responses can be played in response to any occurrence that allows them to trigger, with response opportunities passing between players, starting with the active player

• Hun is a "Response"
• Lookout is a "Response"
• They both trigger off "enters play"
• FAQ say responses are resolved active player 1st.

So I would defiantly come down on the same side you did and say that "Lookout" is to slow to affect Hun.

I do not think it would help in this case.. What you need to look at is some kind of perma effect to counter it. As in one that dose not have a time window on it so it is "permanently on" as that effect will be active before the response can trigger, or a Disrupt.

Like this..

FAQ 4.2 wrote:
The order of precedence of when an effect takes place, assuming all conditions are met simultaneously, is as follows:
1. Disrupt effects
2. Passive effects
3. Forced Response effects
4. Response effects

The best way around Hun is to make your deck like to have things bounced, or have cards with strong enter play effects that make Hun kind of help you. Another way is there are many "swap" effects where when something leaves play, you can put into play something from your hand.

Remember Hun is often targeting itself, so in additions look for "leave play" effects, as this can shut a Hun deck down pretty hard as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bun Sham
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lookout's card ability occurs during the Response time frame, in other words, this card can shut down almost nothing? As the opponent can always trigger his response ability first after playing a character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Well it means that it can not shut down "enter play" responses.

It is more about blanking cards after they enter play. Blanking cards also blanks keywords like invulnerable and toughness allowing easy kills of huge monsters that could be immune to wounds.

Also any effect that is slower than an enter play response is stopped. Lookout for example is a soft counter for Master of Myths and Blackdog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bun Sham
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Tragic. I am still very new in this game and didn't see other possibilities with using Lookout before.

I may be a little bit off topic, but I would also like to ask something about Julia Brown.

Her sacrifice and replacement effect is a disrupt ability, will this disrupt ability trigger immediately after resolving the terror struggle of the current story, which means I can use the newly replaced copy of Julia Brown in the combat struggle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.