Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any games that actually have rules for playing in pairs or teams of more people?

Have you ever played any games in your collection in teams? How did it work, did you have to alter any rules?

Is there any particular game you can think of that would work really well in teams? What makes it such a good contender?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Word on the Street can be played with two, but also in two teams. Also, if you want to play 1st & Goal in teams, the rules say for someone to be the offensive coach and the other to be defense. You can also just huddle up and decide together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #5 – Epic Ancients II and Memoir '44: Operation Overlord are designed to be played with 4 players per side. One player is the commander in chief who issues orders and the rest are field generals who execute the orders.

If you want to find team based games, do a search for the Partnership keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Rush n' Crush's graphic design is obviously geared toward teams of two (and plays MUCH better with them) but the rules do not discuss how teams would work. It's pretty easy to fill in the one blank that's required to make it happen. This game is simply excellent with teams.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
both http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128996/1775-rebellion and http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/94246/1812-invasion-canad... both work very well in teams of 2 v 2 and 2 v 3 respectively. I now much prefer to play them as team games ifn possible rather than solo, while both are very good as 2 player games the feeling of reliance on an other allied force to aid your victory is pretty intense in these especially ifn information about what your hand of cards actually contains is kept as secret as possible from your allies (by honesty of-course; no-one on this sight would condone cheating!) though also complete transparency on this issue is fun to play in a whispering in corners kinda way Did not have to alter the rules in anyway to play them as they may have been written to played as team games.

hope this helps

dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

If you want to find team based games, do a search for the Partnership keyword.

Not so much looking for new games as being curious how many people play team games, we have a couple that don't have official team rules but work nice in a 2 vs 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
With groups too large to play conventionally, we have played Cosmic Encounter with teams of two representing one alien side ("two headed monster style"). It was a lot of fun; adding to the chaos the game already has, this style created a "bickering diplomat" element, the team members discussing whether they really can trust that ally over there. If it didn't involve people who knew the game or each other well it could get to be too much, but we had a great time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
We are in our sixth year of running a Formula De League. We play as five teams of two. It works very well and is very popular in our group.

http://forums.saskgames.com/index.php?topic=3582.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I've played the team map for Ticket to Ride and it did not go very well. Apparently my group have a hard time understanding the spirit of the rules regarding not communicating with your partner. Due to this I'd shy away from games which didn't allow the team to fully communicate.

Team Formula D seems like a great idea. I might try that next time we have a lot of players. Generally we use two cars per player but with large numbers this doesn't work and there is a risk of someone getting wiped out randomly. Having a buddy in the pack might reduce that and even if you can't win you still feel useful acting as a blocker for other people.

Two games I haven't tried in team mode but which have rules and I think would work well are Rampage and Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
While I have yet to try it, Lost Valley has rules for teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World 6 player board.

I love how it does this in a team game because the final score is the lower score of your team. So if one person has 90, but the other has 20, the final score is 20. So if one player is running away with the game, just make sure to beat up their partner. I like how that works better than just adding up the scores or highest wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblins, Inc. devil

Technically you can play with 2 or 3 players, but I've only played the game with 4 players, playing as two teams of 2. But your teams change each round. And you're really in it to win for yourself.

War of the Ring (Second Edition) has a 2 vs 2 option, but I've never tried and don't particularly want to. I read the rules for it and it doesn't interest me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb

"Duel of Ages II is a time-scramble board game played between two opposing sides each having 1 to 4 players, with uneven size allowable. Each side controls a selected team of 8-12 characters from different ages of time: Ancient, Colonial, Modern and Future. The goal is to win greater glory in overcoming adventures and in tactical combat than the opposing team."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy team games, but there aren't a lot of them.

Asteroyds has a great team variant that is a blast with 3 vs 3 teams.

We've always played Disc Duelers as a 2 vs 2 game.

With more than 2 players, we play Catacombs as 2 vs 2, splitting the dungeon forces. Controlling one hero just isn't enough to do.

I've played a lot of miniature games as team games, as it is often hard to come up with good free-for-all scenarios. I've played Dreadfleet, Dust Tactics, Anima Tactics, Warhammer Epic 40,000, Warhammer 40,000, Space Hulk and more this way.

Several card games have partner variants; Mystery Rummy: Al Capone and the Chicago Underworld is an excellent partnership game.

While World of Warcraft: The Boardgame was set up as a team vs team game, we leaned toward coming up with co-op rules; there just wasn't enough interaction between the two teams to be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - two teams, each player controls their own couple of ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of these are really two player games with split responsibilities, rather than actual team games.

Pete (thinks a true "team game" would not be playable with only 2 players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
Word on the Street can be played with two, but also in two teams. Also, if you want to play 1st & Goal in teams, the rules say for someone to be the offensive coach and the other to be defense. You can also just huddle up and decide together.

Word on the Street is the first game I thought of after reading the title. Also, Wits & Wagers. For teams of 2, Compatibility 15th Anniversary Edition and La Boca.

And, just personal opinioin, but I'd recommend against 1st & Goal as a team game. Sure, it's in the rules, but all you're really doing is not playing for half the time and letting someone take over for you. Kind of a lame way to make it 'team' if you ask me... in that definition pretty much every game ever made can be played 'team'. Still a good game, but, get it for 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - two teams, each player controls their own couple of ships.

+1 This actually works really well. And we play where teammates can discuss strategy all they want, but can't look at each other's movement dial. This helps keep one teammate from making all the decisions for the team (which has never actually been a problem anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are hidden loyalty games which take place in teams: Ultimate Werewolf: Deluxe Edition, Shadow Hunters, or The Resistance: Avalon.

Some games allow for alliances to form so that the teams develop during the course of the game. Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients adds rules to Eclipse to formalize this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting though that there are very few true team games out there.

Bridge, for example, is a team game. There's no ambiguity about it. The whole point of the game is collaboration with a team member. It's not a two player game, and it's not two players indepenently doing things that one player could do alone. It's a team game.

I wonder why there aren't more of these in standard board gaming?

Pete (suspects it's because the bulk of the target market plays with less than 4 players at a table)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 7 Wonders in teams when we can, and enjoy it. Best with more people I think. Also, 1775: Rebellion with 4 players and 1812: The Invasion of Canada with 5 players. All relatively easy to learn and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War: Famous Aces (now called Wings of Glory): we like playing 4-on-4 (or sometimes 3-on-4)...practically made for team play...
Ticket to Ride w/Team Asia Expansion: plays up to 3 teams of 2
Catchphrase: all you need is an even number of players
Iliad: plays up to 3 teams of 2
Victory & Honor: one of my favorite partnership trick-taking games; Civil War theme and you're competing for 3 tricks at once...might be hard to find as it's been long OOP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Bridge, for example, is a team game.

Before the reintroduction to modern boardgames I used to like Canasta. It plays with 3 players or in 2 vs 2 teams.

We love hidden team games, but we have a few friends who like to know their teams from the get-go.

I think the only game with real team rules I have is Room 25, where in one game mode you can play with two or three teams of two players. The best mode is still the suspicion mode which can include one or two traitors (2 in 6-player game, 1 or 2 in 5-player game and 0 or 1 in 4-player game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rosset
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does VivaJava: The Coffee Game count? Its a temporary partnership game, though the partnerships change every round. Its fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been interested in Space Cadets: Dice Duel as a group game but I just don't know yet if my group is going to be the kind that will love it or "want to play something else instead" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.