Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Free icon on a support/booster card remove the limitation that the player starting a fight may not play a support/booster card on the round in which they initiated the fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule isn't that the start player may not play one. The rule is that the start player is limited to playing zero. That is an important distinction.

FREE cards to not count towards the limit, for example, even when the limit is zero. And other cards can increase that limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
The rule isn't that the start player may not play one. The rule is that the start player is limited to playing zero. That is an important distinction.

Blue Moon Legends Rulebook wrote:
If a player starts a fight, he cannot play booster or support cards the turn in which he starts the fight.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, as it seems to contradict the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange. The Reference Booklet for BML from FFG says exactly what I say: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/blue-moon-lege... (page 2)

The rules from the original printing of the game states:
Quote:
On the first turn of each fight, the starting player is restricted to playing neither a booster nor a support card, unless his cards specifically allow him to play additional booster cards or support cards.

And the description of FREE:
Quote:
Cards depicting the FREE icon do not count towards your limit of one character card and either one booster or one support card expressed in the rules. Free cards must be played during their appropriate phase. Free cards (character, booster, support cards) may also be played on the starting turn of a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, now I see. It's a case of FFG providing contradictory information in two different places.

The quote above is from the main rulebook, however I found this nugget in the Advanced Concepts rulebook:

Blue Moon Legends Advanced Concepts Rulebook wrote:
A player who starts a fight has a limit of zero [booster/support cards] the turn he starts a fight.

How nice of them to provide us with two completely different ways of conveying a concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help, Matthew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would always consider Advanced Concepts as the better reference. The Rulebook doesn't always contain all the ifs, buts and maybes.

(Actually I would consider the original rulebook, with interpretations, as definitive. If there were to turn out to be a contradiction to that it would be erratum time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.