Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Foerster
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played about 6 solo games and lost them all. No big deal there, had a lot of fun each time. Anyways I had some questions that popped into my head:

1) Active Expedition: Does this change at all? What is the point of having the active expedition token on the space?

2) What is the best AO to use for a first time group? Az seems to kick my ass every time. Is there one better suited for a first time group playing?

3) Best way to get clues? I always seem to not have enough clues to solve Mysteries and such.

4) For the first group game should I choose random characters or set up a group that might make it easier. If I do set up a group what characters should I chooose? (Gaming group of 4)

Thanks for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfoerst wrote:
I have played about 6 solo games and lost them all. No big deal there, had a lot of fun each time. Anyways I had some questions that popped into my head:

1) Active Expedition: Does this change at all? What is the point of having the active expedition token on the space?

As soon as you encounter an expedition you will reveal the next card in the expedition deck. That card might have the same back, or more likely it will have a different location on the back and you'll have to put the expedition space there.

jfoerst wrote:
2) What is the best AO to use for a first time group? Az seems to kick my ass every time. Is there one better suited for a first time group playing?

Azathoth, he's easier than the rest and less complex as well.

jfoerst wrote:
3) Best way to get clues? I always seem to not have enough clues to solve Mysteries and such.

Send somebody to London and get the person that has the highest observation clue gathering.

jfoerst wrote:
4) For the first group game should I choose random characters or set up a group that might make it easier. If I do set up a group what characters should I choose? (Gaming group of 4)

I'd do it randomly, it speeds up things and it's not like they would know what to pick from a gameplay point of view anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfoerst wrote:

When you solve one expedition, move the token to the next space showing. It moves because the top card of the deck changes.

Quote:

Shub or Yog are still pretty intuitive, and easier than Azazoth sometimes. Against Azazoth you need to focus really hard on clues.

Quote:

Camp someone on London for a few encounters, that'll fix you right up.

Quote:
4) For the first group game should I choose random characters or set up a group that might make it easier. If I do set up a group what characters should I chooose? (Gaming group of 4)

Up to you! You probably want a spellcaster / gate-closer (Norman, Jacqueline, Diana, Akachi), an investigator (Trish, Lily, Lola), someone with good influence (Charlie, Lola), and a combatant (Lily, Mark, Silas). But there are a lot of options, and most things work alright. Note that different investigators vary in strength against GOOs - Jacqueline, Norman, and Trish are particularly good against Azazoth due to easier clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Reread the rules on active expeditions. It explains how the token moves around the board. (It moves depending on the picture on the back of the shuffled and cut expedition encounter deck).

2) Azatoth. The rulebook even recommends it's use for beginners.

3) Get clues from clue research encounters. Also, Choose characters that can gain clues through their abilities and have a high observation skill (research encounters usually test observation). Trish, for example, can gain a clue if she has none.

4) choosing random characters can almost guarantee defeat. You need a cohesive team. A strong fighter, a person with high lore (to close gates), a player that has high observation (for clues), etc.

Try setting it up and playing again. You are probably missing a rule or two and you are probably failing a lot of encounters because you're using the wrong investigators on the wrong tasks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules near by at the moment so you'll have to bear with me.

1. It changes based on the card back picture - that becomes your new location if you solve it, (I cant remember if it changes if you fail the card off the top of my head - but this is where you should look for it in the rules and that will clear it right up).

2. I am still trying to figure this out myself. Lots of people say its Azahoth - I am not so sure on that myself. Shub-Niggurath was about the hardest one we faced - and lots of people claim that its Cthulhu though. For us, Yog-Sothoth seems the most likely to be the first win. Check out this forum - It had a pretty poll: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1086683/poll-ancient-one-dif...

3. Best way we have found to get clues is to use one of the characters. I forget HER name but she was very useful in one game spreading clues all over. Another way was to have someone camped on or near the, London(?), location - Or the one location that rewards clues more often and has the clue image on the game board. Be sure the person sitting there has a decent Observation skill and it should work out well.

4. We choose randomly all the time too. But we have lost every game so far (about 10 or 12 I'd Guess)... Lots of close calls down to the last cards before failure. Some people make sure that Charlie Cane is in the party - he helps you get resources quickly (but isn't much of a thrill to play). Last game we played him as an NPC and took turns running him. 3 player game acting as 4 - parking him on Tokyo really helped us make him contribute - but it wasn't a thrilling play if someone were to actually do that with him all game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With new players I give them the whole stack of characters and just ask them to pick based on which picture and profession they like without reading the abilities. It usually means they have more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Foerster
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for all the replies. It should be an interesting time because when I say gaming group I mean 3 of my non gaming friends who humor me from time to time and play board games with me. They have mostly played Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Dessert, and Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.