Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dietsch
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this at a FLGS yesterday and noticed the wording on the back said this set is "compatible with all Legendary sets". I didn't understand how that would be possible. I assume it might mean all future Legendary: Villains sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nope, all Legendary sets. Taken directly from the rules:

Quote:
Fully Compatible with Other Marvel Legendary Sets

This set is fully compatible with other sets of
Marvel Legendary™. You can freely mix and match
elements from both Villainous sets and Heroic
sets. When mixing sets, some players enjoy
talking about a storyline reason for why Heroes
and Villains are working together, based on the
specific Plot, Heroes, and Villains they happen
to be using. Marvel storylines are full of times
when Loki works together with Thor to take down
a mutual foe, or Magneto and his Brotherhood
work together with Professor X and his X-Men to
survive a deadly threat to mutantkind, and so on.

What follows is an explanation of how the different terms, keyword, etc. mix together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope...it means all current Legendary sets.

Pull a Villain into the Hero deck of Legendary, or put a Hero into the Ally deck of Villains.

Add some "Crooked" Cops or sleeper Hydra "SHIELD Assault Squad" to the Villain deck of Legendary...or Have the "Enemies of Asguard" jump in to help crown Thor king in Villains. Really they are totally interchangeable.

And really when Galactus shows up to eat the planet it is all hands on deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the best mix would be Legendary Villains + Dark City. The best of two worlds.

The base set, Paint the town red and Fantastic 4 are not as good as Dark City, based on the feedback I've read here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gampie wrote:
Maybe the best mix would be Legendary Villains + Dark City. The best of two worlds.

The base set, Paint the town red and Fantastic 4 are not as good as Dark City, based on the feedback I've read here.

Opinions vary. All depends on what you like I suppose. I think PtTR is fantastic. FF is fine. Not a huge fan, but my MU experience would feel incomplete without them &/or their enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that you can use cards from Marvel Legendary with Legendary Encounters (AKA Aliens Legendary) and vice versa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cdietschrun wrote:
I saw this at a FLGS yesterday and noticed the wording on the back said this set is "compatible with all Legendary sets". I didn't understand how that would be possible.

What would prevent it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this question has been properly answered.

Just how exactly do you combine them? I understand theres a guide to translate terms printed on the board (mastermind/commander) If playing with just one villain- let's say magneto with x-men's cyclops, wolverine, jean grey, iceman, and storm for example--- would you use the villains playmat or the legendary one? Do you need to add the entire bindings deck just for magneto? Can you put bindings on your x-men?

Please explain. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's confused on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
I don't think this question has been properly answered.

Just how exactly do you combine them? I understand theres a guide to translate terms printed on the board (mastermind/commander) If playing with just one villain- let's say magneto with x-men's cyclops, wolverine, jean grey, iceman, and storm for example--- would you use the villains playmat or the legendary one? Do you need to add the entire bindings deck just for magneto? Can you put bindings on your x-men?

Please explain. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's confused on this.

All this is actually explained in the rules. Go to page 21. Go to the end of the table with equivalent terms. Then read the text that follows. It tells you that you can choose the playmat freely unless you use a scheme that asks for a specific one. It tells you to use both Bindings and Wounds, and that they are not equivalent. It also tells you what to do with Bystanders, Maria Hill, New Recruits, Madam Hydra etc.

Edit: you can find the rules here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm truly, honestly having a hard time understanding why this vexes so many people.

Have something that calls for Bindings? Use the Bindings stack! Have something that calls for Wounds? Use the Wounds stack! Which playmat? Pick one! Or flip a coin!

I guess the real answer is that the rules tell you to use EVERYTHING if you're combining (Officers, Vipers, Recruits, Bindings and Wounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks knobbly. (;

Dog-

When I first heard about villains I assumed it was just that. Playable villains not an entire standalone yet compatible game with legendary. I like the new mechanics but....

Having read the rules now and setup, I'm really turned off by the combining concept. Adding in even more cards to the base game just so I can play magneto alongside my heroes is too much in my opinion. Sorting thru all those cards before and after would take way too much time.

I honestly would have liked just a small box villain expansion and called it a day. I'll support the upcoming guardians expansion but hold off on villains. I honestly can't see myself using villains in my teams to warrant a purchase. Just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Cram
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
jbwc wrote:

Having read the rules now and setup, I'm really turned off by the combining concept. Adding in even more cards to the base game just so I can play magneto alongside my heroes is too much in my opinion. Sorting thru all those cards before and after would take way too much

It really doesn't add any significant time to setup and tear down, as the Bindings, New Recruits, and Madame Hydra cards are all separate stacks. The only thing that might do so is if you combine the Bystanders from Heroes and Villains into one giant deck (which I have) and then decide to sort them back out again after the game. None of the special Bystanders reference any new mechanics, so there is no need to do so unless you are storing everything seperately.

I really enjoy the ability to combine sets as I now have the option to play Marvel Team Ups in a Thunderbolts, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" style.

That said, it may be that Villains just doesn't appeal as much to you, and there is nothing wrong with that. Play them together, play them separate - the important thing is keep playing and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said. (;

Just hero expansions from here on out for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's better to think of Villains as "mix-n-match" rather than "full on combine EVERYTHING together!!!".

I intend to keep them mostly separate, but can see occasionally having Magneto team up with the X-Men, Doom & the FF have to join forces (when he comes out...), occasionally using New Recruits with Heroes, using the Police "backup adversary" as crooked cop Henchmen, that sort of thing.

In select, limited doses it shouldn't be any more of a problem separating stuff back out than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing legendary for about a month and now have all the sets including villains.

I played my first mixed ally/hero game the other night. Worked fine. Set up and break down was really no different than before, and I'm now storing everything in the Villains box, so it made it simple.

To set up the game I used the randomizer that TableMonkey put together, and personally I don't think i'll use a random approach when using villains and Heroes, because there is going to be a lot of overlap with cards in the villain deck with villain allies and vise versa. For instance you could have a Doc Ock ally against the sinister six and draw Doc Ock from the villain deck. That just breaks the theme of the game for me. In combining the sets i'm going to be more selective in my choices, or substitute a group of cards when these type of inconsistencies arise.

Overall, I like that Villains gives me more flexibility and it just adds more fun to the game, i now have more options to choose from, which is great, and each set can stand on it's own while providing enough of a different feel to make worth having in my collection.

A thing about Villains that i think alters the game significantly is the New Recruits. I think they make the game much easier, I found this even more so when I played them in my combined set game vs a mastermind and scheme from the original set. Not sure how I feel about new recruits yet, but for now I lean slightly towards a negative impact on the game difficulty. I might only use them in games that specifically use an ally that utilizes them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Leonard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Tracker1 wrote:
To set up the game I used the randomizer that TableMonkey put together, and personally I don't think i'll use a random approach when using villains and Heroes, because there is going to be a lot of overlap with cards in the villain deck with villain allies and vise versa. For instance you could have a Doc Ock ally against the sinister six and draw Doc Ock from the villain deck. That just breaks the theme of the game for me.

Skrulls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheZMage wrote:
Tracker1 wrote:
To set up the game I used the randomizer that TableMonkey put together, and personally I don't think i'll use a random approach when using villains and Heroes, because there is going to be a lot of overlap with cards in the villain deck with villain allies and vise versa. For instance you could have a Doc Ock ally against the sinister six and draw Doc Ock from the villain deck. That just breaks the theme of the game for me.

Skrulls

Clones, androids, Chameleon, Carolyn Trainer ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I take it to be one of those times when a hero is tricked into/mind-controlled/blindly being stupid attacking his allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game this afternoon where our team was Magneto, Professor X, Mystique, Nightcrawler and Colossus. Our "Mastermind" was Professor X and he was teamed up with both X-Men groups as well as the Sentinels. And we played with the Plot where there were a bunch of Bystanders in the Ally deck - it was awesome!! We imagined an alternate reality "evil" X-Men teaming up with the Sentinels of their timeline to eradicate the humans of our world. Made perfect sense and was a blast to play.

To top it off, we defeated the evil Professor with one card remaining in the Adversary deck and needing to only lose one more Bystander before we all lost!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you all are a lot more creative than me, just about anything is possible in the marvel universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthPinkHippo wrote:
I take it to be one of those times when a hero is tricked into/mind-controlled/blindly being stupid attacking his allies.

Mind Control just occurred to me the other day (duh!).

lubomirvaic wrote:
We played a game this afternoon where our team was Magneto, Professor X, Mystique, Nightcrawler and Colossus. Our "Mastermind" was Professor X and he was teamed up with both X-Men groups as well as the Sentinels. And we played with the Plot where there were a bunch of Bystanders in the Ally deck - it was awesome!! We imagined an alternate reality "evil" X-Men teaming up with the Sentinels of their timeline to eradicate the humans of our world. Made perfect sense and was a blast to play.

To top it off, we defeated the evil Professor with one card remaining in the Adversary deck and needing to only lose one more Bystander before we all lost!!

Made of awesome. Alternate Reality FTW. I should start playing any congruous situations as such. It explains away a lot & makes a lot more combos possible. Start considering these types of sessions as part of a "Secret Wars" or "Crisis on Infinite Earths" level event & you've got 100% epic.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffon Gaming
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only issue that we have run into while combining the sets are certain card effects that start an opponent (adversary/villain) in the Sewers/Bridge that on that particular playmat it is the last space before overrun/escape. If there was already someone on that space then that makes them automatically overrun/escape without the ability to stop it.

The other situation arises with which starting 12 cards to use. We had a game where the randomizer selected both Nick Fury and Green Goblin as the player characters. Both have cards that specifically target S.H.I.E.L.D. characters and Hydra characters. Therefore if you are playing strictly by the rules at the start of the game a player is completely taking a certain set of cards out of being "playable" due to limited abilities on the cards. To counter that we made a house rule that said in blended games regardless of who is chosen we get an even mix of both Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D. cards to start.

Other than that I have been enjoying playing the blended games and having to concoct stories to make the choices "fit" for my wife's brain to accept having Spider-Man and Green Goblin teaming up with Loki and Thor to prevent Mole Man from releasing the Legacy Virus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.