Subject: Combine with Zombie Fluxx? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that you can combine versions of fluxx together. I've also noticed Zombie Fluxx is the only version that has creepers (if I'm not mistaken). I don't understand why as I've played various themes of fluxx without creepers and hated it. So two questions really:

1. Why didn't monster fluxx have creepers in it? The villagers/angryy mob would have been the perfect fit.

2. Has anyone who owns the game tried combining zombie fluxx and monster fluxx together? How does it play? Also aren't there zombie keeper cards in monster fluxx?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
#1) Monster Fluxx was produced exclusively as a Target product. Consequently it was tailored to be as non-gamer and casual gamer oriented as possible. The decision to omit Creepers from Monster Fluxx (and all future Fluxx products carried by Target) was made in the spirit of simplifying Fluxx for mainstream audiences. For the same reason, you will never find Surprises in a Target Fluxx product, either.

#2) Yes, there is a Zombie Keeper in Monster Fluxx. In general, you *can* mix different Fluxx decks together, but you shouldn't. In over ten years as a Fluxxaholic, I have never had a mixed deck game of Fluxx that was more fun than a stand-alone session.

By the way, most Fluxx versions have Creepers. At this point in time, only Fluxx Target Edition, Family Fluxx and Monster Fluxx are entirely Creeper-free. All others have Creepers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that you can combine versions of fluxx together. I've also noticed Zombie Fluxx is the only version that has creepers (if I'm not mistaken).

FWIW my basic/original Fluxx has creepers. I don't find any version info indicated; I think it is version 4:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/20844/looney-labs-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amber Cook
United States
Carmel
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy's answer to why Monster doesn't have creepers is that firstly, it is intended to be an introductory version. But also that it would be almost all creepers, since almost every keeper is a monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buday
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact this is an introductory version of Fluxx makes sense. I was so psyched to buy it yesterday (we have Starr Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx for our game club), but upon viewing the Keepers, I was very disappointed to see the Keepers have very few special abilities, and there are no Creepers (angry villagers would make perfect Creepers). I'm guessing my crew will never actually play this game. It's a shame. What a waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Nightstone
msg tools
Actually I contacted them about this cause I have both IF you combine zombie fluxx with monsterfluxx the Zombie Keeper counts as a Creeper

there suggestion to save aggravation was just remove any monster cards that mention the zombie and the zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S M
msg tools
If I was to mix the games, I would leave the Monster Fluxx Zombie as a Keeper, and all the other zombies as creepers, as normal. But the Zombie that is a keeper would still count as a zombie for all purposes. I don't see any need to change things.

To keep mixed Fluxx games moving faster and to make them more fun, we have use the following process:

1. For each additional deck you mix in, start with two additional cards. Thus, to play Monster + Zombie Fluxx, you would start with 5 cards.

2. When mixing decks, Goals from different decks DO NOT replace each other. Thus, for Monster + Zombie Fluxx, you can always have 1 Monster Fluxx Goal and 1 Zombie Fluxx Goal/Ungoal showing on the table (once they are played, of course). This makes it less of an issue that mixing the decks leads to frustration over not being able to make a Goal.

3. We are generally fairly liberal with interpreting cards from different decks as being equivalent.

We have had a lot of fun mixing decks in this way. Martian Fluxx and Monty Python Fluxx mesh fairly well (because of the cows and humans), and Cthulhu Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx was very depressing (but in a fun way).

One time we played 5 Fluxx decks at once (Fluxx 2.0, Zombie Fluxx, Monty Python Fluxx, Martian Fluxx, and Cthulhu Fluxx). Starting with 11 cards made it a challenge just to keep your cards in your hand, and once we got Double Agenda (allowing for up to 10 Goals to be on the table at a time), it just became a hot mess. Especially when we had to shuffle the Draw Pile, all 300 or so cards that were still in it.

We keep talking bout playing a 10-deck game sometime, but we haven't been brave enough yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Boyes
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played my first 2 games of Monster Fluxx with my daughter after having only played Cthulhu Fluxx multiple times.

There was a HUGE difference in how fast it played and how much more the lack of Creepers simplified things. I was a bit disappointed in that fact but I love the monsters in it a lot and also the flavor text was fun.

Cthulhu is a lot darker in tone but the Monster version is perfect for very young kids and is a great way to introduce them to this fun whacky game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.