David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
Hey all,

Kinda new around these parts.

Anyways, I've recently gotten in to playing LOTR LCG, and I'm trying to figure out how many of which core cards I should have and such. The manual says that a tournament deck should have /no more than/ 3 copies of each card per player deck. So does that mean that I should be looking to purchase or print cards in an effort to have /at least/ 3 of each in my box? But then, that assumes that only one player is using those 3 cards, doesn't it? How many of each card should I be shooting to have for my set, assuming that multiple people are playing? Also, I know 3 per player is only a tournament deck rule, but I don't want to feel like I'm cheating by playing with, for example, all 4 Gandalfs in a solo game.

It also does occur to me that the core set has only 1 copy for some cards, which is kind of annoying when trying to round out my card counts. It makes me consider printing some of those cards instead of paying out the wazoo to buy them... But then I'm really picky about their looking professionally done so I'd need advice on how to accomplish that properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own two copies of the core and 1 of everything else. We most often play with 3 or 4 and I have 5 "good" decks built out of what I own. Of course, I have taken to making copies of a few cards as proxies, otherwise I would have to buy more cores for what I want, and that's senseless to me.

One thing I will say is that if you want to print the cards and make them look professional, I would guess that doing so would cost almost as much as just buying the extra cores and packs.

Also, I have always liked having a second core. I know the duplicate adventure decks seem a waste but the extra cards for building, as well as the components, are worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
While you're relatively new to the game, one core set is just fine, and don't worry about having only one or two copies of some cards. Quite a few advanced players eventually do buy a second, and sometimes even a third, core set. I haven't heard of anyone playing with more than 3 cores (though there probably is someone like that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 Cores and have never regretted it. You get more of the staple cards you need as well as more components. Even the extra encounter sets help in keeping your favorite quests ready to go.

I've never bought more than one of an expansion pack, though. Three of the player card is always enough. When you build for a group, the sphere system helps keep everyone from wanting the same cards (helped is that this game doesn't have a ton of strong neutrals)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with more than 2 players, go ahead and pick up a 2nd core set. You'll get more tokens, more threat trackers, and extra Gandalfs (enough that everyone can have 3 in a deck). Whether you want to get a 3rd core set is up to you, as it's diminishing returns from there on out.

The other question is you have to think about deck construction. If you're doing more than 2 people with more than 2 spheres per player, those players would have to share the total card pool for shared spheres. That's fine if they're only looking to use cards that there are 3x in each core, but it's more of a problem for cards that are 1x or even 2x (if the utility of the card is that good). You can always proxy those specific cards though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
I bought The Hunt for Gollum pack this week. It will be here by Friday. I've also looked around and discovered that there are people selling packs of one each of the 2x core cards on eBay on the cheap. Not sure why, but it means I could get third copies of those for like 5 bucks. I just... if I bought a second core set, that still means I'd have only 2x of some cards, which bothers me a bit (from a numbers standpoint. Not sure if it would be important gameplay-wise to have 3x of those.)

One thing is for sure, I've gone beyond being satisfied with just the core set. I bought the sleeved core box organizer from The Broken Token a couple weeks ago, and when I watched a video of someone playing the second core quest (for tips on beating that stupid hill troll) he was all "ooh look at this great card I just drew" and I'm like "I don't have that one *sadface*."

So yeah, it seems like deckbuilding is half the fun here.

Personally, this is my first ever LCG/CCG/what-have-you. Up until now, I've been an avid video gamer. Glorious PC Gaming Master Race and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chyron8472 wrote:
One thing is for sure, I've gone beyond being satisfied with just the core set. I bought the sleeved core box organizer from The Broken Token a couple weeks ago, and when I watched a video of someone playing the second core quest (for tips on beating that stupid hill troll) he was all "ooh look at this great card I just drew" and I'm like "I don't have that one *sadface*."

Yeah, though you can defeat it with just the cards from the Core Set.

Some options:

- Gandalf (put 4 damage markers directly on the troll)
- ... ideally with Sneak Attack (get Gandalf into play during combat, so you can use him again next turn)
- Gimli (deal massive damage after getting hit some)
- Forest Snare (to prevent it from beating you up)
- cheap characters to just throw themselves against the troll, dying horribly, but keeping your heroes alive

Also, here's a session writeup I did a while ago, with a deck from a single Core Set against Anduin:

Journey Down the Anduin (with a deck built from only a single Core Set)

Quote:
So yeah, it seems like deckbuilding is half the fun here.

Absolutely!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
Actually, what he did (and certainly works even with only the core set, as my wife and I have won this way) is to have heroes that keep the starting threat low, mulligan if you don't get Galadrim's Greeting in your opening hand, and use Dunhere+attachment to attack the troll in the Staging Area.

Actually, my wife did that. When I played, I got impatient waiting for an attachment for him that would raise his attack and instead pulled it down to the engagement area to let my allies help... and the next card I drew was a forest trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second core is probably worth it for the extra cards, threat counters and tokens. A third core is mostly wasted. As an option to purchasing the third card of those x2 cards via eBay, you might consider ordering them through one of the online print services. I highly recommend Printer Studio. You can also order the errata cards through them as well. PM me for advice how to do that if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a real shame FFG don't offer Core Upgrade pack, which contains the cards required to take all cards to 3x, and 6x Gandalf. Maybe 2 threat trackers also, thus supporting up to 4 mono decks.

This means there are enough cards for 2 players to use 2 different spheres each and have up to 3 of every card.

I understand why FFG did not include 3 of everything in the core set, they wanted to keep the price down so it is accessible. But the fact the above does not exists does suggest they don't care that many players feel the need to buy 3 core sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
But the fact the above does not exists does suggest they don't care that many players feel the need to buy 3 core sets.

No, they care very much. After all, every core set that is bought brings them money. FFG is, first and foremost, a business and everything that brings them money is good for them.

Now, I don't really think that they made the decision to only include one of some cards in each core set explicitly for the purpose of selling more cores and making more money, but I'm pretty sure that that is the reason for no core upgrade set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Now, I don't really think that they made the decision to only include one of some cards in each core set explicitly for the purpose of selling more cores and making more money, but I'm pretty sure that that is the reason for no core upgrade set.

Yes, this is exactly what I was getting at.

If there were at least 2 of every card, I'd think hey it's only 1 extra core set, not too much redundancy and not too expensive. 3 seems ridiculously excessive and FFG are easily smart enough to realise this. But knowing people need 3 core sets to include e.g. 3 x Stand Together? Or even Beorn, Faramir etc.

Anyway, after realising I could not be the first person to come up with this idea I googled it and realised it's been discussed to death already. It WILL have occurred to FFG long ago, and if they had any intention to do it, they would have done it long ago.

Personally, I'm working on indoctrinating my wife and both kids to the point we could attempt a 4 player game. If everyone has a good enough grip on the game to play for themselves, maybe I will get the 2nd core set so we have the threat trackers and can build 50 card decks if we want to, and it will help with solo play also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
Do any expansions/adventures provide more copies of any core cards?

That's probably a stupid thing to ask, but I'll ask it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chyron8472 wrote:
Do any expansions/adventures provide more copies of any core cards?

That's probably a stupid thing to ask, but I'll ask it anyway.

That's not a stupid question. Actually, I always wondered if they would stick in duplicates from the core of the 1-2 copy cards to flesh things out but they never have.

TL;DR - No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.