GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

CapCom Street Fighter Deck-Building Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review from a SF fan. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played any of Cryptozoic's deckbuilders before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the Street Fighter Deck Building game. After watching several reviews of the DC Deckbuilding game, I had all but convinced myself not to buy it, that it wouldn't be at all what I was looking for in a card game representing a fighting game. The thought of one character using another character's special move kind of bothered me. Eventually, I noticed that, that while light on theme, the other deckbuilders did have one thing going for them, many people apparently really enjoyed them. So I decided to give it a chance. I picked it up, and my initial excitement from going over the cards faded as I realized that my non-street fighter fan friends wouldn't recognize the characters or the moves represented and I worried if they would enjoy it at all, if they would play it at all.

It took me some time to get it onto the table, but I'm glad I did. I've only been able to play with people with at least a passing familiarity so far. Some, like my wife who's never played SF, really have no interest in it. But each time I do get it out, I'm treated with a fast playing card game that constantly reminds me of the fighting games I grew up playing.

I've really enjoyed each match so far. The fast play, and the back and forth nature of attacks and counters makes this a really fun game to play with one other person. I've not yet played with 3 or more.

While the theme isn't richly integrated into the mechanics, there's enough fun artwork on the cards that in my head, stage music plays when a new stage is revealed, and I can hear sound effects as I put together a string of punches followed by a super power. Having USA as the first stage is great, as it always starts off play with Guile's theme solidly running through my head.

After the game is over, and we've counted up victory points, it doesn't quite make me feel like I've just played a match of Street Fighter, but it does get me itching to play it again, that or pull out the arcade controller for a match of the real thing.

To other fans of the source material like myself. I highly recommend this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme made the game an auto-buy for me. I'm quite the fan of deck-builders as well. But I was quite underwhelmed after my first play. Other than the idea of counter-attacks, the game didn't bring anything new to the deck-building genre. I'm going to give it a few more tries, but if it weren't for the ability to play Dhalsim, I'd have sold my copy after the first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The slight changes to the DC game here and the fact that SF fits the game style better are some of the reasons I go this one. Good review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Universal Fighting System: Street Fighter much better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:

Universal Fighting System was great, and definitely more thematic, but it was very much a CCG. I was able to play for a while, while my LGS had others that were into it. CCGs are usually only as good as your local community.
It doesn't suit itself to the types of game nights I get to play lately, since to really enjoy it, you need to collect your cards and build your deck around how you want it to play.
It was not something that I can just have a couple friends down to play.

For a while I was trying to build a deck-building game variant for UFS specifically, so I could play casually with whomever, but when the Street Fighter Deck Building game came out, I dropped the project, as this works fine and is still quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.