Hide
5 Posts

Mayhem: Fantasy Mass Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts/Ideas after first 2 games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stinner
msg tools
Finally got 2 games of Mayhem in over the weekend, I ran the first game, participated in the second, we had 5 people alltogether.

Overall it was well liked, I think the command point system being the favorite aspect. It was great to get out my Warhammer figures again. I forgot some things/made some mistakes, but that always happens in learning games! For example, I forgot to add additional danger dice when making the danger roll through terrain, and forgot impact was a soft counter vs most units.

Here are some thoughts we had after the games, Keep in mind these comments and ideas are only after 2 games, so I may be way off on some of them. A few things I'll post in a separate thread (Missile ranges and some Questions).

* We used 80x80 base sizes, which seemed to be a good size for 28mm, and I think 80x100 would be good as well. We used 200 crowns, Goblins vs Humans (Warhammer Empire), and the sides seemed very evenly matched. Empire won the 1st game, the Goblins the 2nd.

* We had some Fear causing Units (Trolls, a big Squig!) but Fear seemed to play very little part. Must units just engaged via charging (negating fear), and for some reason we didn’t have a lot of continuing melee’s where paying the extra command cost would have mattered. Plus when the Fear causer attacks there is no ill effect on the foe as they don't pay CP's to fight back. I was almost thinking of a house rule where charging a Fear causing unit requires an extra CP.

* Each side had 1 Sorcerer with 1 spell. Magic was easy to use, and worked well, everyone picked up the process very quick. Down the road it might be neat to add some different types of optional Spellcasters in addition to the basic wizard type (Clerics, Necromancers, etc).

* The Dread roll of 1(Critical Hits): I think we were mixed on this rule. For the most part I think it is a good rule, as all units can be vulnerable no matter how good they are. However, in the second game there was a rash of ‘1’s rolled resulting in quite a few units with big advantages in melee being eliminated, which I think some players were not crazy about.

Some ideas for house/optional rules: If both sides score a 1 they are not eliminated, just disordered. This gives a side with a big advantage still a small chance to survive if the opposing peasants get lucky and roll a 1 on their d20.

Another idea: When a unit is eliminated via a critical hit, the player may surrender one command dice permanently to turn the kill into a disorder. The player must state where this command dice is coming from (standard, hero, elite), but it cannot be the general. This would allow a player to negate a critical, but at great cost.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnS1998 wrote:
Finally got 2 games of Mayhem in over the weekend, I ran the first game, participated in the second, we had 5 people alltogether.

Overall it was well liked, I think the command point system being the favorite aspect. It was great to get out my Warhammer figures again. I forgot some things/made some mistakes, but that always happens in learning games! For example, I forgot to add additional danger dice when making the danger roll through terrain, and forgot impact was a soft counter vs most units.
Glad it went well. Thanks for showing off the game John!

JohnS1998 wrote:
* We used 80x80 base sizes, which seemed to be a good size for 28mm, and I think 80x100 would be good as well. We used 200 crowns, Goblins vs Humans (Warhammer Empire), and the sides seemed very evenly matched. Empire won the 1st game, the Goblins the 2nd.

* We had some Fear causing Units (Trolls, a big Squig!) but Fear seemed to play very little part. Must units just engaged via charging (negating fear), and for some reason we didn’t have a lot of continuing melee’s where paying the extra command cost would have mattered. Plus when the Fear causer attacks there is no ill effect on the foe as they don't pay CP's to fight back. I was almost thinking of a house rule where charging a Fear causing unit requires an extra CP.
Glad you found the game balanced. I think you'll find that most games will come down to the end since Overdrive can help keep a diminishing force very dangerous in the endgame.

As far as Fear is concerned, the more games you play the more failed charges are going to occur at inopportune times and that will cause players to become more cautious and fearful about attempting them and wasting precious Cp. Also, assuming that your trolls and big squigs were behemoths, then the damage rule usually means that you have at least a few rounds of combat with them. With that in mind, it's sometimes to your advantage to not initiate an attack on a unit that you are already engaged with until you get some support units into the mix. This will force enemy unit to pay the additional Cp if they want the advantage of initiating.

JohnS1998 wrote:
* Each side had 1 Sorcerer with 1 spell. Magic was easy to use, and worked well, everyone picked up the process very quick. Down the road it might be neat to add some different types of optional Spellcasters in addition to the basic wizard type (Clerics, Necromancers, etc).

I've got you covered there.

JohnS1998 wrote:
* The Dread roll of 1(Critical Hits): I think we were mixed on this rule. For the most part I think it is a good rule, as all units can be vulnerable no matter how good they are. However, in the second game there was a rash of ‘1’s rolled resulting in quite a few units with big advantages in melee being eliminated, which I think some players were not crazy about.

Players that really worry about the dreaded 1s can use units like hordes, swarms, and behemoths more prominently in their armies since these units aren't eliminated automatically on the roll of a natural 1.

JohnS1998 wrote:
Some ideas for house/optional rules: If both sides score a 1 they are not eliminated, just disordered. This gives a side with a big advantage still a small chance to survive if the opposing peasants get lucky and roll a 1 on their d20.

Another idea: When a unit is eliminated via a critical hit, the player may surrender one command dice permanently to turn the kill into a disorder. The player must state where this command dice is coming from (standard, hero, elite), but it cannot be the general. This would allow a player to negate a critical, but at great cost.

I love the rule for both sides remaining in-play if 1s are rolled! In my upcoming skirmish release, ties on natural 1s do not cause a critical elimination.

The second idea has real potential, but it could be 'gamed' quite a bit by a player. An example would be sacrificing the command die from a unit that was surrounded and engaged on all sides by the enemy and going to be lost anyway. Now, if you made the rule state that you surrendered the command die to your opponent, and he got to keep it for the remainder of the game... that would be a really tough choice with serious repercussions!

I think I'll add your ideas to the next General's Compendium update as variants. Nicely done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Leonard
msg tools
A "Veteran" unit would have some protection from a critical hit as you could spend a veteran token to force a re-roll on the critical hit. I don't see any reason that the rules for veterans couldn't be used in non campaign games. A variation on this would be to allow a player more than one veteran unit, but he could still only assign one veteran token at the end of a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
House of Games wrote:
A "Veteran" unit would have some protection from a critical hit as you could spend a veteran token to force a re-roll on the critical hit. I don't see any reason that the rules for veterans couldn't be used in non campaign games. A variation on this would be to allow a player more than one veteran unit, but he could still only assign one veteran token at the end of a battle.
You could absolutely do this. Likewise, you could give each player an allotment of 1-3 'Mayhem' tokens that use the same rules as the veteran tokens, BUT these tokens could be used on any non-heroic units in your army. That would give you a more control over when to use them and make them more functional overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stinner
msg tools
My bad I didn't read the campaign rules closely yet..using the Veteran rules may be a good way to go. Also think I might try that opposing 1's equals disorder instead of death.

I really appreciate the feedback...thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.