Hide
4 Posts

Mayhem: Fantasy Mass Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Missile Ranges in 28mm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stinner
msg tools
After 2 games still undecided on shooting ranges in 28mm. On one hand the ranges just seem to short for 28mm, just from a model/scale perspective. On the other hand, increasing ranges may result in an imbalance, could allow for much more shooting before armies come to grips in melee. Also the archers we had did not take advantage of Volley fire, which from what I am reading is very effective.

I think any increase in ranges for 28mm should be very small, if at all. An idea, probably a bad one , maybe just add 1d4 or 1d6 to any maximum roll to determine the hit number. For example, if a target is 15 inches away, and the missile weapon uses 1d12, any roll of 12 can have a d4/d6 added to it, if that combined total equals the range, a hit is scored. Just a thought, this would give slightly longer range, but fire still would not be effective at the long range (hard to hit!), and wouldn’t change the ease to hit at shorter ranges.

Another idea: Add a Long range for missile weapons which is 4 inches longer than the maximum on the shooting dice (d12=16 inches). Units are required to aim if the target is at this range, and lose 1 shooting dice (thus aiming once gives 0 extra dice, twice gives 1 dice, etc). The maximum of the dice rolled will cause a hit, so a target at 15 inches away will be hit on a 12 on 1d12.

Again I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the ranges, some players felt they were just a little short for 28mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnS1998 wrote:
After 2 games still undecided on shooting ranges in 28mm. On one hand the ranges just seem to short for 28mm, just from a model/scale perspective. On the other hand, increasing ranges may result in an imbalance, could allow for much more shooting before armies come to grips in melee. Also the archers we had did not take advantage of Volley fire, which from what I am reading is very effective.

The ranges do look a bit short for the scale, but it keeps things balanced without players having to change any of the weapon costs or do any stat conversions. Volley fire can be a lot of fun!

JohnS1998 wrote:
I think any increase in ranges for 28mm should be very small, if at all. An idea, probably a bad one , maybe just add 1d4 or 1d6 to any maximum roll to determine the hit number. For example, if a target is 15 inches away, and the missile weapon uses 1d12, any roll of 12 can have a d4/d6 added to it, if that combined total equals the range, a hit is scored. Just a thought, this would give slightly longer range, but fire still would not be effective at the long range (hard to hit!), and wouldn’t change the ease to hit at shorter ranges.

Another idea: Add a Long range for missile weapons which is 4 inches longer than the maximum on the shooting dice (d12=16 inches). Units are required to aim if the target is at this range, and lose 1 shooting dice (thus aiming once gives 0 extra dice, twice gives 1 dice, etc). The maximum of the dice rolled will cause a hit, so a target at 15 inches away will be hit on a 12 on 1d12.

Neither of these are bad ideas at all, and neither is going to completely break your games.

The second idea in particular would work really well and be more self limiting [since it would require Cp]. If you try that option, then I would recommend using 6 inches. That bonus to range should make it more tempting for players to take the price/risk [in Command points] to perform the aim action[s] and create some interesting decisions during play.

Here's another option for you to consider:

You could give all standard missile weapons the plus fire rule [page 19]. So, the longbow would be a d20 danger roll plus the default of 10 inches. A crossbow would be a d12 roll plus the default of 6 inches.

If you use this option, then you'll have to make some price changes.
- missile weapons with a d8 ranged attack would cost an additional 5 Crowns
- missile weapons with a d10 ranged attack would cost an additional 7 Crowns
- missile weapons with a d12 ranged attack would cost an additional 9 Crowns
- missile weapons with a d20 ranged attack would cost an additional 13 Crowns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stinner
msg tools
Thanks Brent. If we decide to increase range I think I would go with spending a CP gives 6 inch bonus range, or maybe just adds 1d6 to the final shooting roll selected. I like the fact that it costs a CP to do so...and we wouldn't have to adjust crowns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries! I think you've picked the best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.