Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How many of you add games with price gap > $25 to get free shipping?

E.g. I'm looking to get a game for $40. Shipping is $15 bringing me to $55. If I add another "big" game and a filler, I "save" $15.00 in shipping, get better utilization of my money but am out of pocket $45 more! Do you do it?

Note: I'm not interested in a $10-20 dollar gap. That's obvious where you add a $10-$15.00 filler since this equals the cost of shipping anyway. I'm more interested if the gap is $25 OR MORE INCLUDING SHIPPING. Do you add another game or two or three?
Yes - I usually do. I hate paying for shipping!
No - Money saved is money earned.
Depends on my mood and/or finances at the time.
      156 answers
Poll created by elmsley4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't order until I have enough stuff I really want or need to meet the free postage threshold. But you always need a few packs of sleeves or other accessories, so it is more about finding an interesting game that has the potential of becoming a regular at the table (8.5 at least).

(Edit: in the two main local webstores the thresholds are 40 and 60 euros, so either two-to-three cheaper games or a more expensive game and a few packs of sleeves.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never paid for shipping for board games. It's too high of a percentage of the game cost. Up until this point, padding out the order has never been a problem. I would regularly create a $100 order because a new Android: Netrunner expansion pack came out. That's $90 of padding.

Of course the pain of that is I have a ton of games I don't play and bought on a whim. Look for those to show up in the BGGcon Virtual Flea Market geeklist next month. shake

Just a couple weeks ago Legendary Marvel: Villains came out as a surprise to me and I went to the wishlist to put together an order and... I couldn't do it. I've finally (mostly) broken myself of the habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If shipping was £25 I would, if it was £3 I would pay the shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually have a $500-$1000 backlog of nice to have games/miniatures. So I never have a problem filling in stuff to get to $100 if I am willing to spend that much. If I don't feel like spending $100 I usually get it locally for 20-25% at my local game stores or order it from amazon for a decent price too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to support my FLGS when im buying One game at a time. "Most of the time I get one at a time" But when I get in those moods where I want a few games or so many new ones came out at one time and I can't help myself,I usually order somewhere where I will avoid local Taxes and Shipping cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't answer the pool because, as an international customer, I can't get free shipping. But I do tend to add games to my order so that the shipping cost per game is smaller. I usually attempt to bring it down to 50-60% of the price of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The place I order from doesn't offer free shipping, however they offer a flat rate for shipping. So it's the same price no matter how many games you order. I will often wait to order a few games at once so that the shipping cost per game is lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I keep a wishlist on CSI for this reason.

I also add games to get some of the other publisher's discounts on their own websites. Victory Point Games, for example, gives a 5%-20% discount based on order size. I recently filled my cart, looked at the total, and added another game to get the next discount level. The game I added was basically free (I think it was like $1-2) with the increased discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon (UK) don't charge postage on orders £10 or over. It's difficult to find a board game sold by Amazon that wouldn't qualify for free postage.

Some online board game retailers like IGUK (and the book depository) never charge postage.

Shops that don't offer free postage would have to offer really good prices or really hard to find games to justify paying postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game and whether I am planning on ordering a lot, also if I want/need to use paypal. Some pricing curiosities show up some time. Eg, CSI sells Flash Point for $28 (plus shipping if you don't spend over $100) on their site directly, but they sell it for $24 + $4 shipping on Amazon (or.... $28 ninja ) which is the same price as "free shipping" without any requirement for more in the order. Unless you're working on building the discount %, their Amazon storefront is often cheaper for single games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed having Amazon Prime. For one thing, you get movie-streaming service comparable to Netflix (I have both), and you get free shipping on everything direct from Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I buy games through Amazon (or my FLGS) and I have prime, so usually the games have free shipping even if I buy just one. However, if it was a matter or paying $15 or buying another $25 game, I would buy the game rather than just paying shipping. Yeah, I'm spending more money, but I'm getting more that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually we'll just send out a group email and ask if anybody in our gaming circle wants to add to the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
where is this e-store that have free shipping option on certain amount of orders ? never saw that store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, yes. With Miniatures Market I keep a wishlist so when I see they have a sale I can add items that I want should the sale item(s) not reach the $100 mark. However, if the sale item(s) are inexpensive it may not be worth padding the order. There's no point in making a $70 dollar stretch, but a $25 stretch is often worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make a lot of you feel... better?

I paid shipping from Amazon today for two games that are currently impossible to get in Australia. Shipping was nearly as expensive as the games themselves (over AUD$100 in shipping for two games).

Why can't everything be on bookdepository?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lundrigan
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been an infrequent Amazon.ca shopper in years gone by.. But only just recently I've been educated on the 'Prime' free shipping bonus, now I intend to order lots of stuff from there!

My most recent order was a Smash Up expansion, but I needed to bring up the final total to get the free shipping, so I added on some books

Now if only I had a heavy cashflow to support my new future shopping sprees..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating....

I started this thread/poll b/c I won an auction for $13.00 that had an extra $13.00 for shipping. I was justifying adding an extra $87 to get the $100 free shipping with games I was interested in, but don't know if I would pick them up without the push.

So as I'm justifying adding more to the order (a game or two I really wanted anyway, and a game or two were more fillers), I wondered if I was alone.

So far, of ~113 people, almost 72% add games to the order to get up to $100.

Note: I qualified the post that the gap (including shipping) had to be > $25.00.

I'm not alone! On one hand, it feels GREAT to not be alone thinking like this, on the other hand (blame my recent reading of "The Cold War" by John Lewis Gaddis so I can bone up before opening Twilight Struggle (I binged earlier in the year!), talking about how capitalism is driven by consumerism. I guess I can credit my gaming with a worthwhile education! Justification is a beautiful thing!

Anyway, thank you all for your feedback. I am among those of the same cloth for thinking the way I am. Those game stores have got some good psychologists working for them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't pay for shipping because I buy over 90% of games either in one of my local game stores or in Essen.
I think I once ordered something online and got some sleeves or so with it to reach the "free shipping" threshold which was like... 30 € or so? I think amazon.de even offers free shipping for anything over 20 €, so it's really easy to get free shipping here in Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did for the first time yesterday when pre-ordering Alien Uprising.. added Clash of Cultures cuz I wanted it anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
where is this e-store that have free shipping option on certain amount of orders ? never saw that store

By "Free shipping" OP mean "Free U.S. shipping". There are many shops which have that option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.co.uk stopped the Free Super Saver shipping to Finland. That seriously dropped my interest in ordering from there, be it games or other things. On the plus side I give my business to Finnish gaming webstores instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Nope,

I only order through my FLGS which offers free shipping over £30 and I mostly collect in store anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
did for the first time yesterday when pre-ordering Alien Uprising.. added Clash of Cultures cuz I wanted it anyways

I paid $50 shipping on Clash of Cultures. I hope it's good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.