Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this is picking tiny nits, but I was reading the 1846 rule book and I found some ambiguity in different rules referring to the Token spot reserved for the C&WI private and the bonus token that goes there when it is bought in.

1846 Rule book page 2 wrote:
The Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad ($60 price, $10 income) reserves a token placement in Chicago for its purchasing corporation, as indicated on the yellow (preprinted) and green Chicago tiles. If this company is in play, no token may be placed in this city space until the C&WI is purchased or removed. Upon being purchased, place an additional token of its purchasing corporation at no cost on this city space, unless this corporation already has a token in Chicago.

1846 Rule book page 6 wrote:
The various Chicago tiles all depict several distinct cities. A corporation can not have more than one token in Chicago (remove one if this occurs due to the C&WI).

Chicago & Western Indiana card wrote:
Reserves a token slot in chicago (D5), in which the owning corporation may place an extra token at no cost.

So, a few specific questions:

1) If a corporation already has a token in Chicago when it buys in the C&WI, does it A) Keep its existing token, B) Move its existing token to the C&WI spot or C) Choose between A and B?

2) Regardless of the answer to 1, does the corporation in question get to put an extra token on its charter, or does it just lose out on the fact that the C&WI normally increases the total number of tokens that a corporation will get by one.

3) May a corporation buy in the C&WI but choose not to place the token immediately?

4) If (due to 1A, the answer to 3 being yes, or some other reason) The C&WI spot is still empty after the C&WI is bought in, may another railroad buy a token in that spot A) Immediately or B) After the C&WI closes at the start of phase 3?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My understanding:

1. A.

2. If the corporation already has a Chicago token, it doesn't actually place the extra CW&I token and so does not get an extra token.

3. No.

4. A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
All correct. The parenthetical comment on page 6 should have been struck, in which case there wouldn't be any ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Tom Lehmann wrote:
All correct. The parenthetical comment on page 6 should have been struck, in which case there wouldn't be any ambiguity.

The "may" on the card is slightly ambiguous; I assume it is there because the owning corporation will not place such a token in all cases, but it tends to imply that placing it is voluntary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Correct. What's on the card is a *summary*, not the full rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.