Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Juhl
Denmark
Ørbæk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
With the word on the street that an expansion is in the works for RR, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where fans of the game could contribute with ideas for new engineers.

This could provide the designers with some inspiration as well as an idea of what the community would like (for what that is worth )

Please contribute your ideas in seperate posts.

To identify which suggestions are most popular, please thumb the post(s) with the idea(s) you like the best.

My suggestion:

Engineer type: A
Cost to use: 1 or 2 Coins (optional)
Ability: Can pay for better trains/factories*

*When using the "purchase train/factory" action spaces, you may select from different stacks than the one currently availible. Ex. if it currently are "3" trains/factories that are availible, the player may instead purchase a "4" train/factory paying 1 Coin or a "5" train/factory paying 2 Coins. These cost in coins are optional and added to the normal cost for using the action Space.

It could be it had to be tweaked a bit if tested to be too weak/strong,
but the main idea about beeing able to take a train/factory that is a little better than the ones currently on display is very appealing to me.

Obviously this is not tested, but I don´t believe it to be gamebreaking in any way. Just a nice little advantage when you use that engineer (but also a little more expensive).
Thematicly it also makes a lot of sense as this engineer is specialized in building trains and therefore is one little step ahead of his competitors on that front.

I look forward to a lot of good suggestions, and maybe, if we are lucky, some of these ideas will come to life sometime in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjuhl wrote:
My suggestion:

Engineer type: A
Cost: 1 worker
Ability: Purchase 1 train/factory*

*The train/factory purchased may be from the next stack than currently is availible. Ex. if it currently are "3" trains/factories that are availible the player may instead purchase a "4" train/factory if he desires

There is already a B engineer that lets you take a factory or train. A more powerful version that comes out earlier is not at the same level as the other engineers, it's overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Juhl
Denmark
Ørbæk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
You are right.
I will adjust accordingly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineer Type: A
Cost: 1+ workers, placed at the same time.
Ability: For each worker placed here, advance any rail.

Rules notes:
While unoccupied, this counts as a single worker space for any purpose, such as turn order replacement or "borrow an opponent's engineer."
While occupied, this counts as a single worker space only if has a single worker on it.

Design notes:
I considered "advance a different color of rail", which you may often want to do anyway, but this version is simpler, and I don't think it's overpowered. At 1 worker per rail, it is less efficient than the specialized engineers (black/any, black/gray, gray/brown), the bonus engineer (any/any), or the board spaces for black/gray. At 2 workers, it is strictly better than the board space for 2 any, but every engineer is strictly better than at least one board space, either by means of offering VP or more efficient advancement or lower cost (1 worker for what would be a 2-worker action).

There are two exceptions to "strictly better":
The loco/factory engineer, who is strictly worse than the board space, if the board space is still available. [Leaving aside special cases where you want your opponents to take the public spot so that a better loco/factory will be available.]

The repeat engineer, who is just plain good, especially used to repeat "2 coins" or another engineer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.