Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really mulling this event over since I had to miss Arena. I'd like to do well so I've got about 5 different builds I'm thinking about. This one just came to me as a possibility. The major downside is that there are no upgrades and all generic captains so I'd be most likely shooting last and have little defense against the BCT. However it's 5 ships when you include the blind booster. So I could potentially be throwing a lot of attacks each round. If I survive the initial volley from a smaller fleet I might be able to do some serious damage. Thoughts?

Resource: Hideki Class Attack Fighters (20)

K'Vort Class (24)
Ship SP: 24

K'Vort Class (24)

K'T'Inga Class (22)
Ship SP: 22

Total Build SP: 90

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exceptionally bad idea. The Cube attempts to assimilate/shoot -every- ship in range. The Fighters have no upgrade or captain so will take damage first, then your other ships will all be shot at simultaneously the next round. The BCT is not limited in the umber of attacks it can make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
In OP1 I thought it said the closest 3 ships within range 1-2. If you aren't within range or one of those 3 ships you don't have to worry about being shot or assimilated. Also, the fighters would only lose a single chit from the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
Exceptionally bad idea. The Cube attempts to assimilate/shoot -every- ship in range. The Fighters have no upgrade or captain so will take damage first, then your other ships will all be shot at simultaneously the next round. The BCT is not limited in the umber of attacks it can make.

According the the BCT rules it only attacks ships that have nothing for it to assimilate. So each ship (except the fighters) have a captain to be assimilated first. Even then it's not every ship, the rules state it only targets the 3 closest ships within range 1-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I tried a 4 ship swarm (3 in my 90 point fleet + the blind buy) and played the same list in 2 events. The first event I went 1-2, but both losses were only 1 point each. I went 2-1 in the 2nd event with the loss being only by 3 points. 2 losses were to Borg cubes that I couldn't hit consistently, and the other was due to the BCT chasing me.

Koraga
Martok 8
Kerla
Klag

Valdore
Toreth
Bochra
Parem

Hideki Fighters

The fighters were my MVP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenObiWanabi wrote:
For what it's worth, I tried a 4 ship swarm (3 in my 90 point fleet + the blind buy) and played the same list in 2 events. The first event I went 1-2, but both losses were only 1 point each. I went 2-1 in the 2nd event with the loss being only by 3 points. 2 losses were to Borg cubes that I couldn't hit consistently, and the other was due to the BCT chasing me.

Koraga
Martok 8
Kerla
Klag

Valdore
Toreth
Bochra
Parem

Hideki Fighters

The fighters were my MVP.

How do you feel about having one less ship than I have above in favor of multiple upgrades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LoneWolfPR wrote:
I'm really mulling this event over since I had to miss Arena. I'd like to do well so I've got about 5 different builds I'm thinking about. This one just came to me as a possibility. The major downside is that there are no upgrades and all generic captains so I'd be most likely shooting last and have little defense against the BCT. However it's 5 ships when you include the blind booster. So I could potentially be throwing a lot of attacks each round. If I survive the initial volley from a smaller fleet I might be able to do some serious damage. Thoughts?

Resource: Hideki Class Attack Fighters (20)

K'Vort Class (24)

K'Vort Class (24)

K'T'Inga Class (22)
Ship SP: 22

Total Build SP: 90

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

The fighters aren't a bad idea, but I'm going to echo the concern that these ships are going to get just WRECKED if you end up on the wrong end of the cube, and having played one event and run another I can tell you it's hard to avoid.

I'd cut down to two and some sacrificial upgrades in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you went 3x K'Tinga, you'd have 4 points to equip 2 sacrificial crew members to feed to the Borg.

Is that one point of hull on two ships that valuable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alyksandyr wrote:
If you went 3x K'Tinga, you'd have 4 points to equip 2 sacrificial crew members to feed to the Borg.

Is that one point of hull on two ships that valuable?

No, but I only own one K'Tinga, and I currently don't have the cash to buy two more. Otherwise, I'd probably do just that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I see the initial rounds playing out and I've probably oveerlooked something so please correct me if I am wrong:

Initial set-up will see either the entire opposing fleet on the opposite side of the board or the entire fleet fleet directly in front of you. I don't see anyone setting up in the center as that is the closest part of the deployment area to the BCT, so everyone will tend to set up closer to the corners. A skill 1 fleet will more than likely be entirely (minus the blind booster, maybe) placed before any of the opposing fleet is placed. So you place your fleet in one corner and your opponent either sets up across from you or on the opposite corner.

On turn 1:

If your both set up on the same side, its a 33% chance that you get screwed (BCT moves toward your starting area), your opponent gets screwed (BCT moves toward your opponent's starting area) or you both get screwed equally (BCT moves toward the side of the board between you two).

Next round, the BCT will either move toward you or your opponent and whichever it ends up being will be majorly screwed.

-----

If your opponent set-up opposite you, the BCT will either move closer to you or your opponent. 50/50 shot either way.

The 3rd round the cube will have a 33% chance of moving even closer to whoever it moved towards last round and a 66% chance of moving away. So most likely away, but not a given unless its my fleet in which case it will only ever move closer to me.

So, you will either have your fleet crippled before engaging or you will be engaging a decimated fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a 4 ship build you could deploy in such a way that the BCT will not collide with your ships should it decide to move laterally. You might (Should) be able to do this with a 5 ship build as well.

If your opponent deploys across from you, excellent! That's what you want! Quicker engagement, leads to less impact from the BCT. Dial maximum forwards. If the BCT moves toward your table edge, Excellent! The BCT has removed itself from play for 1 round. If the BCT moves toward your opponents table edge, also excellent. The BCT has moved in a way to apply pressure to your opponent as they attempt to scramble to protect from assimilation. Use max speeds to get into your opponents range 1, and hope for bumps.If the BCT moves laterally towards the table edge, it will get messy.

If your opponent deploys away from you, things are more difficult. Since you pack little to no upgrades, the BCT will shoot you quicker. They may give the BCT a chance to do their work for them. You'll be in a chase to try and close range and attack, all while hoping to avoid assimilation/attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 of the 4 crew only cost 1 point, and the 4th only costs 2, so in my mind they were a great shield against my ships getting attacked. The Borg assimilated and didn't attack either of those ships in any of my 6 games thanks to the crew, so I'd say they were worth their points.

The catch is that since when those cheap crew get assimilated, they are points that aren't in your surviving fleet, so you have to either take out 1 more enemy ship, or hope they have more costly upgrades for the Borg to assimilate, or you'll lose the game. I was hosed in 2 games because I couldn't take out a tactical cube and so although my 1 point crew members saved my ship from being shot at by the Borg, I still lost the game by 1 point. It's definitely a trade off - either the Borg chase you or they don't, and you can't do much if they randomly keep chasing you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something I have been mulling over for OP1

IKS Negh'Var; Worf, N'Garen, Klag

IKS Maht'Ha; Martok, Sabotage, Kerla, Drex

Reinforcement sideboard: Klingon captain, In'cha, Bukah, PSF, Photon torps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.