Subject: Rules question on Scourge of the Skola Vale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are probably better MtG forums, but I'm a BGG user, not really a magic player. I'm playing this on the iPad and the AI opponent had this card:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/scourge-of-skola-vale/

Somehow, in the same turn, he sacrificed another creature to add +1/+1 markers to Scourge and he attacked me with it. As I read it you would need to tap the card to add to its power which means he shouldn't be able to attack in the same turn. Am I missing something or is the AI opponent making a mistake?

FYI, no other cards were in play, no other cards were played (only card in the discard pile was the sacrificed creature: Protean Hydra).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I know there are probably better MtG forums, but I'm a BGG user, not really a magic player. I'm playing this on the iPad and the AI opponent had this card:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/scourge-of-skola-vale/

Somehow, in the same turn, he sacrificed another creature to add +1/+1 markers to Scourge and he attacked me with it. As I read it you would need to tap the card to add to its power which means he shouldn't be able to attack in the same turn. Am I missing something or is the AI opponent making a mistake?

FYI, no other cards were in play, no other cards were played (only card in the discard pile was the sacrificed creature: Protean Hydra).

That's definitely a bug. Unless something was giving the Scourge vigilance and he activated it after attacking, it should have been tapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I found another weird one. I played this card:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=hun...

On one of my creatures who had First Strike, then attacked an enemy with defense equal to my attack, expecting him to die and me to survive, but instead we both died. Does First Strike not apply when playing Hunt the Weak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniƫl Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Does First Strike not apply when playing Hunt the Weak?

Correct. First strike cares specificly about combat damage; fighting is just dealing damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Fight and First Strike don't interact-the computer played this one correctly. The way first strike works in combat is that the rules create another phase specifically for first strike damage to take place. However, when two creatures fight, they deal the damage to each other and that's it.
cranialinsertion.com, which is a superb site for rules questions, wrote:

Q: Does first strike work in a fight?

A: It does not. First strike changes the rules of combat, but a fight is not combat. For the same reason, abilities like flying, trample, and double strike are equally meaningless in a fight. Fighting does cause damage, though, so abilities that affect what damage does or how it's dealt, such lifelink, deathtouch, or protection, do apply to damage that's dealt in a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.