Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would like to give the game a try with the lowest point of entry possible while getting into a faction I like the most: the Borg!

How playable is a 100 point single Borg cube with the best captain and upgrades? Is this just a terrible list to play, very competitive, or somewhere in between in your best estimation?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Frazier
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest checking out youtube for the State of the Federation video on Borg. They discuss single borg megasphere and double borg spheres strategy at length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Totally feesable. The Starter which you'll need anyway for game components gets you "Locutus." If you can get your hands on the flagship resource, that would be ideal.

I'd try to get the Sphere for a little more versatility and a second Ablative Hull Armor.

And eventually you might want the original Enterprise, because Spock is a baller assimilation candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:

And eventually you might want the original Enterprise, because Spock is a baller assimilation candidate.

Shhhh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
Totally feesable. The Starter which you'll need anyway for game components gets you "Locutus." If you can get your hands on the flagship resource, that would be ideal.

I'd try to get the Sphere for a little more versatility and a second Ablative Hull Armor.

Definitely agree with the suggestion for a Flagship. I would even venture to say that without a Flagship card, a single-ship build probably isn't worth attempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:

Definitely agree with the suggestion for a Flagship. I would even venture to say that without a Flagship card, a single-ship build probably isn't worth attempting.

I also agree and I'd add that I'd only try a 100 point cube if I had 2 ablative armor upgrades on it and the Borg version of Seven of Nine to refresh some of your drone token supply. They pack a lot of stuff into the tactical cube and sphere expansion packs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
There are 2 big problems to consider with mono-borg (I contemplated it carefully for the upcoming OP).

1.) Their action economy is terrible. Just about everything they do disables and sucks up actions. Using Picard for a captain doesn't really fix this as it means no drone tokens, meaning no assimilation tubules et al. You could do a good build with lots of ablative armor and feedback pulse, but it leaves you very vulnerable to other borg of all things who can just take feedback pulse and, with 2 ships, outgun you too. With the terrible action economy comes a lack of Target locks, leading to your second problem:

2.) 1 ship firing 6 dice per round will get quickly outgunned in the current meta. First off, 2 borg ships will strictly outgun you. Klingons will definitely outgun you. Any list running fighters will definitely outgun you. And any properly built Federation build will outgun you, since 4 dice with battlestations is about as good as 6 dice dry fire.

Is it viable? Yeah, it has all the requisite numbers. But if the person you're playing took 10 seconds to say "what if I run into a mono-ship" when making their build, they'll probably beat you. It's just too much of a risk for me to consider taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied so far.

Lots of things to think about! I am trying the game with a friend tonight. If I like it I am going to get

- 2 spheres
- 2 soongs
- 1 cube
- 1 starter (which I hate having to purchase 3 non-borg ships! wonder if I can sell them ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbowombat wrote:
There are 2 big problems to consider with mono-borg (I contemplated it carefully for the upcoming OP).

1.) Their action economy is terrible. Just about everything they do disables and sucks up actions. Using Picard for a captain doesn't really fix this as it means no drone tokens, meaning no assimilation tubules et al. You could do a good build with lots of ablative armor and feedback pulse, but it leaves you very vulnerable to other borg of all things who can just take feedback pulse and, with 2 ships, outgun you too. With the terrible action economy comes a lack of Target locks, leading to your second problem:

2.) 1 ship firing 6 dice per round will get quickly outgunned in the current meta. First off, 2 borg ships will strictly outgun you. Klingons will definitely outgun you. Any list running fighters will definitely outgun you. And any properly built Federation build will outgun you, since 4 dice with battlestations is about as good as 6 dice dry fire.

Is it viable? Yeah, it has all the requisite numbers. But if the person you're playing took 10 seconds to say "what if I run into a mono-ship" when making their build, they'll probably beat you. It's just too much of a risk for me to consider taking.

I respectfully disagree, I played a game a week a go with a 100pt cube build (actually it was 97, accurately hitting points values is hard when you only have one ship and all your upgrades cost between 6 and 10pts).

I comfortably won the game and more so that any other fleet I have played there were a number of rounds where I literally had no useful actions to perform. I was pretty much just target locking every round, I think the only time I actually used drone tokens was to activate the assimilated access codes to lower the shields on an opponents ship (playing ship pure with the queen as captain).

One thing I did notice with the cube, once you get an aux token its an absolute nightmare to get rid of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jgortner wrote:
- 2 soongs

This surprises me. For the conduits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
1 starter (which I hate having to purchase 3 non-borg ships! wonder if I can sell them ...)

Fun thing about the Borg, they have a nasty habit of assimilating other ships, break out the modeling bits box, a bit of black paint and create yourself some thematic additional ships. Sure there not faction pure but it makes use of them and gives you a few more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
jgortner wrote:
1 starter (which I hate having to purchase 3 non-borg ships! wonder if I can sell them ...)

Fun thing about the Borg, they have a nasty habit of assimilating other ships, break out the modeling bits box, a bit of black paint and create yourself some thematic additional ships. Sure there not faction pure but it makes use of them and gives you a few more options.

You are a delightful man! This is wonderful idea for the physical ships and makes much thematic sense too! Not sure why I didn't think of this but thanks ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.