Jeff Kaminsky
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking into magnetizing my ships (I can't stand my ships not point straight ahead, and if they won't I want them posable... right?!)

Anyhow, I don't have my stuff with me today.

Are the regular ships 2mm rods and the big ships 5mm rods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered these magnets a couple days ago. Supposed to be the perfect size for the small ships. I'll post here when i get them installed. Estimated delivery tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/104800001X/ref=oh_details_o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kaminsky
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good price! Those are 3mm diameter and 1.5 mm height. I think those are the right size for the small ships. I'm taking a chance and going with 10mm for the larger ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Childress
msg tools
I used 1/8th (~3mm) for the small ships and 1/4th (~6mm) for the large ships with a mixture of flush mounting and "pin" mounting for the ships. They are, at least visually, exact size matches.

thickness/strength-wise I tried a few sizes but ended up with 1/16 n52 on the ship side and 1/8 n52 on the rod side which holds them really securely and gives a satisfying "thunk" when they connect. As a bonus the stronger magnets allowed me to magnet mount them really securely and densely in the storage cases I'm using

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am intrigued how do you go about magnetizing them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Katogamerguy wrote:
I am intrigued how do you go about magnetizing them?
I'm planning on doing this to at least one of my B-Wings tonight. You just glue one magnet to the ship and one to the post. Poof you're done. Just make sure they aren't placed such that they repel, lol.

Check out the thread here. This is exactly what I'm doing.
http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/904...

Some people have mentioned putting a metal ball (magnetic or not, not sure if it needs to be for additional power) on the peg so that you can orient the ship any direction/angle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kaminsky
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm doing the magnetic sphere and using a drilled out screw on the other end to get the huge angles of articulation Will let you know how it turns out when my magnets get here from China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sazzlefrats wrote:
I'm doing the magnetic sphere and using a drilled out screw on the other end to get the huge angles of articulation Will let you know how it turns out when my magnets get here from China.
Very interesting idea with the screws. I'm definitely interested in how it turns out. Keep us posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kaminsky
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Failed Research:
Initially I was looking for swivels or gimbal mounts or something but I can't find anything that makes any sense. Omni-mounts are the closest thing but I wanted to do this myself, though I may buy one of theirs just to compare.

Anyhow... magnets right.

Past Experience:
Flat disc magnets are good, I did this in 40k.. overtime the constant snapping breaks the magnet free of the surface they are mounted on. Usually the 3mm round disc magnet broke free of the stem. Later on I used nails for stems, and glued the the receive magnet to the hover tank. This worked better, but the magnet sometimes broke free of the nail head (we're talking a year or two down the road, weekly use).

My Hypothesis:
So this time around I want two things... angular articulation and even more surface area to mount the magnet. If I drill out the screw head I get a convex surface to mount the convex surface of the sphere magnet. This gets me at least 30% more surface area. Then I have a receiver screw in the ship, also drilled out, so now I can rotate huge angles. Thats how I plan to build my millenium falcon. On the smaller ships, I think I cut the tip off the mounting stem, drill it out to be convex and put the magnet directly to the stem, then I have a receiver screw in the ship. I don't see me finding a screw small enough to put into the 3mm stem, who knows I haven't investigated that yet.

Next post in 2 weeks :-( .... I hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried out my magnets last night. The B-Wing came together perfectly. Just need some adjustments on the mounting stem to get it to fly straight.

I got some BBs from my old BB gun and tried to do the spherical mount, but I don't think that's going to work. I held the BB in some pliers and even my A-Wing slid around all over the place. It just doesn't hold where you would want it to. My next problem was getting the magnets to be at the right angle. Two of my test ships are flying all sorts of crooked when put on a perfectly flat magnet. I'm thinking about putting extra glue on the magnet then filing it down flat as low to the magnet as possible. The two magnets should be fine holding through it.

Any thoughts or tips? I'm hoping to make a post of the experience complete with pictures sometime this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kaminsky
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Tried out my magnets last night. The B-Wing came together perfectly. Just need some adjustments on the mounting stem to get it to fly straight.

I got some BBs from my old BB gun and tried to do the spherical mount, but I don't think that's going to work. I held the BB in some pliers and even my A-Wing slid around all over the place. It just doesn't hold where you would want it to. My next problem was getting the magnets to be at the right angle. Two of my test ships are flying all sorts of crooked when put on a perfectly flat magnet. I'm thinking about putting extra glue on the magnet then filing it down flat as low to the magnet as possible. The two magnets should be fine holding through it.

Any thoughts or tips? I'm hoping to make a post of the experience complete with pictures sometime this weekend.

A BB against a flat magnet will not work, unless the magnet was about 10 time stronger than what we can buy. What you want if you want to use a BB is http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

But since I can't find the countersunk rare earth magnet in a small enough size, I'll make the end of the screw the same shape by drilling it out and put round sphere magnet in it instead. Like this. http://www.apexmagnets.com/1-sphere?fee=5&fep=116&gclid=CjwK... (obviously 1" is a little big, but... its just for an idea.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.