Subject: Game to play with wife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crispy Socks
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi guys and gals.

My wife is not a gamer at all, but is interested in playing a game with me on occasion. The tricky part is - she's picky on genres.

So, with that being said - are there any board games OR card games out there that anyone knows of with a mystery theme?

There may not be, but I thought i'd ask. I know, it's kind of a weird request. I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you specify the "mystery" theme? Because I'm not sure what it means and I'd like to help. Is it like detective story / solving crimes? Or more of something supernatural?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispy Socks
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, something like a detective/crime solving. Not really anything supernatural.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases. It's the only game I've come across where you collect actual clues, not just tokens on a board.

It got reprinted in 2013 I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I think you should take a look at these games:

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
Letters from Whitechapel
Black Stories

There is also a category of games called "Murder/Mystery" - lots to browse there: Murder/Mystery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming not Clue... so what about Police Precinct, Android, or Mystery of the Abbey

Police Precinct isn't like a true mystery, but you work together to find enough clues to catch the criminal and arrest the murderer.

Android is set up to be more of a mystery, but it's sci fi themed, so that may not be the best. Also, it doesn't necessarily feel like solving a story - I've only played once so I may be remembering this wrong - but I think (like Clue) you pull cards and hide them and spend the game moving around, trying to narrow down suspects.

Mystery of the Abbey is more like clue, but a lot more fun, with more to too and more suspects to narrow down.

I'm trying to remember a game we used to play as kids, it was a murder mystery and involved looking through evidence. I think it played like a murder mystery dinner because one of the players was the suspect... but I'll have to do some digging to figure out what it was called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 whitechapel... the theme is a bit of a turn off for me, but it's an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack Pocket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Mystery Express

Plus

There is a series of Mystery Rummy card games.

Mystery Rummy: Escape from Alcatraz

Mystery Rummy: Murders in the Rue Morgue

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper

Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 13yo daughter really likes NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game. I haven't tried it with my wife yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is link for 74 pages (10 games each page) of murder/mystery games in BGG database.

This will give you BGG communities suggestions based on rank.

Simply sort the linked items by RANK to get them ranked in descending order in accordance with BGG rankings.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1040/murdermy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

As well as Letters From WhiteChappel. If the theme is a bit off putting, then check out Scotland Yard it's more family friendly in theme, but very similar. There is also Fury of Dracula which is similar in idea of WhiteChappel and SY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.