Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniele Passamonti
Italy
Pordenone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Houston...
My opponent (blue) closed the field... I will never get back my shepherd, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ShadowDast wrote:
Houston...
My opponent (blue) closed the field... I will never get back my shepherd, right?

Sounds right. Though you could have the Dragon eat him and get him back that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I have to say is that is a very good move by blue. As Brian suggests, if playing with Expansion 3, you might try to get the dragon to eat it and the sheep in order to get it back. Otherwise, well played blue for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalinda Patton
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well played Blue, well played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Beynon
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herd the Sheep into the stable!
You can score the sheep at any time.
3 points for the sheep and they go back into the bag then you get your shepherd back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, you cannot score Shepherds at any time. You must do the Gather the Flock action, which is one of the two options that you can choose after placing a tile.

Once again, in this particular scenario, blue blocked red from using their shepherd for the rest of the game (unless playing with the Dragon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Capt Pedro wrote:
3 points for the sheep and they go back into the bag then you get your shepherd back!

As pointed out, not true. You have to be able to expand your field in order to score it. Now that it is complete, there is no way to score it. The only way to get the Shepherd back is if you are also playing with the Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Capt Pedro wrote:

As pointed out, not true. You have to be able to expand your field in order to score it. Now that it is complete, there is no way to score it. The only way to get the Shepherd back is if you are also playing with the Dragon.

*... or tower, or plague, or Festival, or even the dreaded Catapult!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
McJazz wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Capt Pedro wrote:

*... or tower, or plague, or Festival, or even the dreaded Catapult!

I don't know about the Plague, but the other three won't work as their abilities don't have a special inclusion to affect non-follower figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Correct. The Shepherd is not a follower so not affected like normal followers. The Dragon is the only exception I am aware of in this situation, as it clearly states the dragon's eating habits for shepherds.

Plague, as far as I know, impact followers only so not Shepherds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Correct. The Shepherd is not a follower so not affected like normal followers. The Dragon is the only exception I am aware of in this situation, as it clearly states the dragon's eating habits for shepherds.

Plague, as far as I know, impact followers only so not Shepherds.

My mistake. The tower can only be used to capture followers. It is explicitly stated that a shepherd is not a follower.

Additionally, there is no official ruling on how the plague affects non-followers. (Pigs, builders, shepherds, etc.)

The knockout token in the Catapult also applies to followers only.

It appears I was only 25% correct. The Festival definitely applies to all figures.

That'll teach me to respond quickly before checking my facts. Regardless, this is a great expansion, and Blue made a great play in the example above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McJazz wrote:

... and Blue made a great play in the example above.

More accurately stated, I think, that is a very poor play by Red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dancing Festival
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I googled for this exact problem and the first result was this page.

While it's true that by the translated English rules the shepherd would be trapped (and I saw this repeated in other English speaking forums). But in the German rulebook (I have one that comes with the Big Box 6) there is an exception that states: whenever a field is closed (completed) the players who have a Shepherd on that field will take the Gather the Flock action, thus scoring the sheep and getting their shepherd back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Vargas
msg tools
mbmbmb
My boyfriend did a very similar thing to me on our very first game with the expansion angry

But yes, even rules in Spanish do not allow any further action. cry
I also reviewed the compilation of Carcassonne rules:https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87531/carcassonne-standar... and didn't see any annotation...

And here it is, my trapped shepherd, coincidentally I was also playing red...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kettle Fish
msg tools
The German rules in the BigBox5 from 2014 have this special case included:

Quote:
Sonderfall: Grenzt ein Spieler eine Wiese komplett durch Straßen oder Stadmauern ein, wird für diese Wiese sofort die Aktion "Herde in den Stall treiben" ausgelöst.

rough translation:
Special case: If a player surrounded a farm completely with roads or city walls, then the action "Herd the flock into the stable" triggers immediately for the shepherds farm.

------------------
That means when a farm is surrounded and "closed" with roads and cities - and it can't expand anymore. Then the score for the shepherd takes place.
The player earns points for the sheep, the sheeps go to the bag and the shepherd goes to the players supply.
-------------------
The English BigBox rule is different than the German rule, because this special case was put in the German rule from the wishes of the correction readers for the German rule - short time before printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.